Reaction score
Line automatically favors home NFL teams by 3 points? - snopes.com

Hi. I have heard throughout my life that when it comes to NFL
football betting lines that the home team is automatically given 3 points
for "home field advantage". I heard it today again and decided to ask you
guys because it sounds reasonable, but might be BS

Automatically is a bit strong...

Betting lines are set so as to entice an equal (or close to it) amount of betting on both sides of the line. Legal bookmakers make money on the transaction (a cut) and use the losing bettors money to pay-off the winners. A good starting point for setting the line is to look at which team is the home team and favor them by X amount of points depending on the sport. The X can be determined by analyzing years worth of data involving games/matches/etc.

For example, Jeff Sagarin at USAToday has determined that the home field advantage in NFL is currently 2.33 for this season. So a bookmaker might look at two equally matched teams and set the line at +2.5 for the home team.

I should add that this would be a starting point for a line. The quality of the teams, injuries, and even popularity can be a factor in determining the opening betting line. This line can move in the time before the game as well based on betting trends.

i followed the link and it looks like Sagarin said 2.53 (not 2.33) but same difference.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
from a 49ers fan perspective
Who gives a red rat's ass about a 49er fan perspective?

SF is going to hammer Dallas, who won't have any offense to speak of and whose defense hasn't shown they could stop a fart. No offense to speak of because of a rusty QB who will offer up four turnovers at least.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not a believer that the Cowboys can score at will, even against a beat up SF defense. Garrett is still around, Romo can still spaz out and KILL KILL KILL every run play.

Have it a close game early then the defense collapses like the Campo defenses used to.

SF 34
Dallas 13

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
Feels like the first time in years we haven't opened the season against the Giants.

That being said, 49ers 36 - Cowboys 10.

I haven't decided how the second half will finish.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Feels like the first time in years we haven't opened the season against the Giants.

That being said, 49ers 36 - Cowboys 10.

I haven't decided how the second half will finish.

:lol

Reaction score
Dude, he said checkmate. How am I supposed to overcome that?

maybe by posting anything that supports your dumbshit

or you could just keep jerking each other off in honor of Michael Sam's signing

whichever

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
A season-long theme: Cowboys lose in a shootout.

Niners 33
Cowboys 27

Top Bottom