Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Way to talk 'em up Jerry, you idiot.

http://www.connectamarillo.com/sports/story.aspx?id=1091001#.VAUErVf-SSo

IRVING, TEXAS (AP) -- Jerry Jones opened training camp with stories about how young his Dallas Cowboys were. He told a few thousand fans at the kickoff luncheon that many of those players faced an "uphill battle."

Not exactly Super Bowl talk from an eternally optimistic owner who has made such preseason predictions a few times.

The Cowboys have 34-year-old quarterback Tony Romo coming off back surgery, and Rolando McClain possibly starting at middle linebacker just a few months after deciding to retire. Not to mention a defensive line lacking star - and possibly pass-rushing - power.

Jones says there are "some real odds here" heading into Sunday's opener against San Francisco. And he's still not ready to commit to coach Jason Garrett beyond this season.
"Real odds." Is there another kind?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They've probably watched a few Cowboys preseason games.
I mean, you're going to have a rusty quarterback with a suspect back, who apparently can't run anymore and looks like the Pillsbury Throwboy with the layers of kevlar he is wearing to protect that "100% healthy" back.

You have a defense that was last in the league last year which is already injury prone and didn't significantly upgrade its talent, in the offseason.

You have a SF team who is hungry and pissed off, regular visitor to the conference championship game, and who is riding a "team of destiny" slogan because the upcoming super bowl is #49, and whose new stadium is hosting the "golden" super bowl, #50, next year.

To me this means the 4 1/2 point spread is actually quite generous.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think it means they see SF as 8ish points better than the cowboys. Pretty sure home teams get 3 points automatically before they come up with the actual line.

Reaction score
I mean, you're going to have a rusty quarterback with a suspect back, who apparently can't run anymore and looks like the Pillsbury Throwboy with the layers of kevlar he is wearing to protect that "100% healthy" back.

You have a defense that was last in the league last year which is already injury prone and didn't significantly upgrade its talent, in the offseason.

You have a SF team who is hungry and pissed off, regular visitor to the conference championship game, and who is riding a "team of destiny" slogan because the upcoming super bowl is #49, and whose new stadium is hosting the "golden" super bowl, #50, next year.

To me this means the 4 1/2 point spread is actually quite generous.

i love how you just hi-lited all the good things about SF, most of which aren't even fucking true from a 49ers fan perspective

forget about the fact that their fancy new money QB can't hit shit now that he got paid, their Oline is a mess and can't block anyone so far this season, they are missing almost all of their best defenders to injury/suspension and have a brand new garbage secondary that should get lit up against us. that team has taken a serious talent hit as they've had to invest tons of money in retaining their talent.

i mean jesus christ we'll probably lose but be realistic about it

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We are going to get gashed in the running game.

Justin Durant and his 8 missed tackles last year are back. And his 'space-occupying' NT Nick Hayden is too.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
i love how you just hi-lited all the good things about SF, most of which aren't even fucking true from a 49ers fan perspective

forget about the fact that their fancy new money QB can't hit shit now that he got paid, their Oline is a mess and can't block anyone so far this season, they are missing almost all of their best defenders to injury/suspension and have a brand new garbage secondary that should get lit up against us. that team has taken a serious talent hit as they've had to invest tons of money in retaining their talent.

sounds like you're leaning towards Dallas

i mean jesus christ we'll probably lose but be realistic about it

whoops. never mind.

Reaction score
I'm not I just don't think these two teams are THAT far apart. I think SF misses the playoffs, too.

Reaction score
actually i'm pretty sure that's just bullshit

even if it's not it doesn't actually mean anything. vegas doesn't "think" anyone will win by anything. they just try to set the line so they can't lose.

Reaction score
yeah it pretty much is

oddsmakers might look at statistical history and say "ok in denver the broncos are winning by an average of 4 points a game" and set the line starting there, after which it goes up or down depending on the opponent but the hardline "vegas sets the home team as 3 point favorites" automatically is horseshit

Iamtdg

Reaction score
It has been a longstanding thing that the home team gets 3. It has always been that way. Regardless of how the two teams stack up. They just go off of that +3 for the home team and create the line.

Reaction score
no it fucking hasn't. you just read some shit about that on CZ one time or something. vegas isn't a third grade math ****** who tosses out things like "home team starts at -3 regardless, guys". that's straight bullshit.

Top Bottom