Reaction score
It looks like we a re building a really good roster overall so we can showcase how inept our head coach is and how much of a moron Jerry is for hiring him.

Right. Jason is the asterisk coach. He is the epitome of "however".
"Our system may not have touchdowns however we get a lot of yards."
"(Our O-line was weak) so we had to throw the ball (648 times) more than we wanted to" however, sustained pass blocking is far more difficult than run blocking."
"We want to throw the ball downfield to open run lanes underneath" however when there has been success at passing downfield, there is no tendency to run the ball and finish the game. 5 wide and sack or incompletion to stop the clock rather than run the ball and the clock.
"When you run the ball well it opens up other parts of your offense" however you just said that you pass in order set up running lanes underneath.

---The O-line has been almost completely upgraded to an elite level HOWEVER their main strength is run blocking for Jason's "pass offense" system.
---One of the big buzzword criticisms is a lack of turnovers HOWEVER interception opportunities are very random and generally uncontrollable. The only real correlations are QB pressure and skilled CBs. Hardy and Gregory were Jerry players not RKGs and there still has been no urgency for a true impact NT and Jason has released two skilled CBs for underperformance. The "however" here is that Garrett's managing of the team has not contributed to correlations with the random occurrence of the interception by his lack of stocking or keeping the only two elements that increase the likelihood.

---Coach Dooley scouted Streets himself and Streets is well versed in all the routes. He may need some more strength and bulk though at the pro level, however, Streets continued to be weak, lack bulk and lack speed to even get into his routes AND still entered the season and many games as a prominent part of the pass offense???

---Mike Martz (who runs the Air Coryell offense) said in 2007 that success in current NFL is about creating mismatches. James Hanna runs a 4.48/40 which would make him a mismatch for LBs and DBs HOWEVER he is made to stay in and block while WRs that are slower than he is run vertical routes.

---"Our plays usually have one vertical route and one underneath HOWEVER most criticism that Cris Collinsworth has had of Dallas games is how wide open the middle of the field is.

---The team is gradually building at O-line, running game skills, and defense ends. However, they are losing ground where their talent is because it is not being used.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It looks like we a re building a really good roster overall so we can showcase how inept our head coach is and how much of a moron Jerry is for hiring him.

It's not just that he's a moron for hiring Garrett --- I think we're all past that. The issue now is how Jerry has kept him THIS LONG. That's goes beyond moronic.

Owners and GMs make mistakes all the time of hiring a certain HC. But most of them rectify it within a couple of years. People compare Jerry to Al Davis, I disagree with this assessment. Yeah Davis was a meddler --- the original owner meddler, but he damn sure would not have kept Garrett this long. Garrett would have been gone after the second consecutive 8-8 season that resulted from the second consecutive lost of the final game to win the division. Jerry right now is trying to find a way to save face/

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Damn straight

Al Davis went thru something like 8 coaches in 10 years during his teams losing ways

He gave plenty of coaches the chance to turn things around but he never game them enough tools to get the job done

Whereas Jerry is doing the exact opposite. He gave Garret the tools but still keeps him around when he fails

Talk about doing things bass ackwards

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The actual answer to the question posed by the OP is, nothing. We're building nothing. The building stopped when Jimmy Johnson left.

All that's happened since then is just throwing different shit at the wall hoping some of it will stick. This is what Jerruh thought happened initially with Jimmy. He thought it was all just dumb luck and still does. 100 people could coach this team, he said.

So he keeps on throwing different shit up there - Garrett and his idiocy of doing the exact same thing is just the most recent one. Like the blind squirrel finding a acorn occasionally, Jerruh's "team" manages to post your occasional 12-4, 13-3, 11-5, and etc. But in between it's total crap, to the point where the team's overall record since 1997 is still, right around .500 mediocrity.

Nothing's "being built." It's just year to year, throw different shit at the wall hoping some of it sticks.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What this team needs is Edward Thaddeus "Tad" Foote

yeah, that'll do it

get em jerruh

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Re:Arians and coaching to win.

Of all the stuff I'm going to take away from this shit show of a season,I'm always going to remember our third possession against the Panthers.
Down by 10,4th & goal at the 3 and we kick the field goal.
Now that early in the game,it's not the wrong call.Not exactly.
But we're 3-8 and even then hanging on by the slimmest of threads of hope for a playoff spot.
Even as Beasley was getting up off the turf after getting that short pass,I was yelling at the TV to go for it.
IMO,this the exact place you tell the opposition and your own team "we want to win this game".
Even the attempt sends a message,success guarantees that message gets home.
To the Panthers and the Cowboys.
So does not trying.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Of all the stuff I'm going to take away from this shit show of a season,I'm always going to remember our third possession against the Panthers.
But we're 3-8 and even then hanging on by the slimmest of threads of hope for a playoff spot.

Even as Beasley was getting up off the turf after getting that short pass,I was yelling at the TV to go for it.
IMO,this the exact place you tell the opposition and your own team "we want to win this game".
So does not trying.

He gets up in press conferences talking about how this team fought, scratched, and clawed it's way blah blah blah. Yet he shows no faith in the players. He should have went for it. Yeah so what if they didn't get it; the fact that he believed enough in the players might have went a long way. The players may have fought, scratched, and clawed, but it was undone by him being a pussy. And then he ends up throwing players under the bus.

Campo was a lousy coach, but I didn't hate him for it. He never threw players under the bus. He was what he was. But this fucker Garrett... I hate that SOB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I already said that post 3 bro.
I stopped reading at "I haven't a clue."

So does not trying.
He gets up in press conferences talking about how this team fought, scratched, and clawed it's way blah blah blah. Yet he shows no faith in the players. He should have went for it. Yeah so what if they didn't get it; the fact that he believed enough in the players might have went a long way. The players may have fought, scratched, and clawed, but it was undone by him being a pussy. And then he ends up throwing players under the bus.

Campo was a lousy coach, but I didn't hate him for it. He never threw players under the bus. He was what he was. But this fucker Garrett... I hate that SOB.
This is the thing a educated idiot like Garrett can never understand, the psychology of performance. HE thinks it is about just being "positive" all the time with the clapping and butt slapping and 'we fight we battle we claw' shit. It's not, that's FAKE positivism, that he then reinforces negatively by throwing the players under the bus.

REAL psychology of performance is expecting a performer to be what he CAN be, not what he is or less than he is. To reinforce this you definitely DO go for it in these situations, make or break, win or lose. If only because of the message it sends not just to the opponent, but to the performers.

Going for it says, "I trust you to make this, I expect you to make this." And, "Win or lose, do or die, we're attacking."

Not laying down whimpering.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I stopped reading at "I haven't a clue."

This is the thing a educated idiot like Garrett can never understand, the psychology of performance. HE thinks it is about just being "positive" all the time with the clapping and butt slapping and 'we fight we battle we claw' shit. It's not, that's FAKE positivism, that he then reinforces negatively by throwing the players under the bus.

REAL psychology of performance is expecting a performer to be what he CAN be, not what he is or less than he is. To reinforce this you definitely DO go for it in these situations, make or break, win or lose. If only because of the message it sends not just to the opponent, but to the performers.

Going for it says, "I trust you to make this, I expect you to make this." And, "Win or lose, do or die, we're attacking."

Not laying down whimpering.

Psychology is why Jimmy was so successful. Had he not gone into coaching he had planned on being a corporate psychologist

He knew how to motivate each player and he treated each player differently

But when you hear his former players talk about him they all say basically the same thing. That he knew how to get the most/best out of each player individually so they would perform collectively as one unit/one team

By the way Dooms, thx for the suggestion on Jimmy's book. It's a great read. And brought me back to when the Cowboys were a great team and why they were a great team

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry always sets off thinking of trying to establish a trend. He arrived at the notion that an Ivy League education (Garrett) and being a successful oilman (himself) trumps the hard-scrabble experience of a Arians.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
On this week's edition of "Inside The NFL" they had a couple of coaches miked up.
One was Jason Garrett.
The other was Mike Tomlin.
As a certified old fart,I have no love for the Pittsburgh Steelers,because fuck those guys.
But Garrett was cursing(he said damn) and handclapping and making the long overdue decision to bench Cassel.As an aside,I believe Darren Mcfadden running the WildHog would have been more productive than Cassel,but I digress.
Garrett sounded like the schoolmarm telling the children to hide under the desk.
Tomlin on the other hand,mounting a huge comeback,kept telling his defense "don't blink".He finally told one DB "If you blink,I'll cut your eyelids off".
Guess which team won their game?
We're building mediocrity.Even in the watered down participation trophy NFL we can't maintain success.
We're building the brand,somehow the team is more poplar than ever and the last look at numbers told us this is most valuable sports franchise in the world.
Frankly I rather be hated for winning,cause damn that was good stuff.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry always sets off thinking of trying to establish a trend. He arrived at the notion that an Ivy League education (Garrett) and being a successful oilman (himself) trumps the hard-scrabble experience of a Arians.

I don't think Jerry was trying to establish a trend... I think he was just looking for someone who made him comfortable.

If you listen to people who have worked for that organization, Jerry is very much about running a family business. They say there are lots of business being run -- blue star real estate, blue star oil, etc. And either Jerry or Charlotte or Jerry Jr or someone very close to the family has their hands all in it. Jerry is sort of the anti-Warren Buffett, who picks up well-run companies and lets them do their thing, only intervening in management changes when the financials start looking bad. Jerry doesn't seem to really trust anyone who isn't family, or very close to it.

But that's why Garrett is head coach. He's pretty much part of the family, as Jerry has told us repeatedly.

I still wish some reporter would do some work on figuring out why Jerry became so close to Jim Garrett, a New Jersey journeyman spare who was never outstanding at anything. But of course we'll just get the usual Todd Archer regurgitation of Garrett's meaningless press conference platitudes.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What we are building here is better draft position!

So far this Sunday has been a perfect day. The Cowboys loose and don't hurt their draft position. Carolina looses in heartbreaking fashion. And best of all Weeden gets his first win as a starter in who knows how many games with a 34-7 victory proving once again how inept our coaching and scouting has been.

Weeden's been in that system for almost two weeks now and already won a game for them. lol

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And the Patriots just lost in OT

it just keeps getting better!

Now all I need is for Seattle to win and it will be a perfect day of football!

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't think Jerry was trying to establish a trend... I think he was just looking for someone who made him comfortable.

If you listen to people who have worked for that organization, Jerry is very much about running a family business. They say there are lots of business being run -- blue star real estate, blue star oil, etc. And either Jerry or Charlotte or Jerry Jr or someone very close to the family has their hands all in it. Jerry is sort of the anti-Warren Buffett, who picks up well-run companies and lets them do their thing, only intervening in management changes when the financials start looking bad. Jerry doesn't seem to really trust anyone who isn't family, or very close to it.

But that's why Garrett is head coach. He's pretty much part of the family, as Jerry has told us repeatedly.

I still wish some reporter would do some work on figuring out why Jerry became so close to Jim Garrett, a New Jersey journeyman spare who was never outstanding at anything. But of course we'll just get the usual Todd Archer regurgitation of Garrett's meaningless press conference platitudes.

Listening to Jerry's past remarks about the Cowboys and it being left in the hands of his children when he goes, it's pretty clear that he's just trying to set up each and every one in his family for life.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There's no question whats been built here. Pure MEDIOCRITY.

Its a shame, a lot of talent being truly wasted. No way in hell should this team in THIS division not be making the playoffs this year. But Garrett found a way.

Top Bottom