Reaction score
It's the verb "building" that I think someone in the media needs to call Jason on. Yes, yes I know that Garrett uses 1000s of meaningless words and phrases that are meant to get him through a press conference or give his team explanations when things go wrong but Jason appears it have hit a ceiling as a coach and leader a few years ago, maybe in his first year.

I just don't buy that there is anything being built. I don't buy that there is any foresight. I think Garrett just gets through each season trying to figure out what he was supposed to do.

What are the positive and long lasting effectsof being coached by Jason?

Consider:

Who is really being developed? Romo had a solid year last year mainly because the running game relieved him of reps that would have in the past got him in trouble. He's not at all the QB that Parcells had envisioned him to be gaining yards with his feet when the passing plays or protections fail. He's a QB that has to wait for patterns, run around while the WRs run around some?

Romo has probably had the most change other than DeMarco Murray but Jason did not design or call his plays.

Has TWilly become a better WR? Beasley? Dez? Hanna? Escobar?

Darren McFadden might be having the best year he has ever had, but the running game is not Jason's strength. Randle, Michaels, rod Smith, Turbin and DMC among others. What was the plan? I submit there was no plan and no clue what's happening next.

This passing offense has had many chances to evolve or become more intricate and has not - it has become more repetitive if anything with the only variation being the running game. But what is the plan? That the running game will become greater so that the passing game can be more selectively potent? I would love that to be the case but how has the mishandling of Murray and the odd handling of the RBs in the offseason shown that the running game is not part of "what we are doing here".

Christine Michael just had one of his best games after going to another team, as did Weeden, as did Bennett, as did Brinkley, as did Harris...

Who is being developed? What QB from McGee, to Cassel, to Weeden, to anyone, has been developed into a better player who gets better in Jason's coaching in time?

None.

Jason is like a 4th of July firework: anticipate its potential, see a little bit of temporary sparkle, see the burnout and lament ever buying something that that smell and the stain lasts longer than the display at its full strength.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Process.

We are just in the very early stages of 40 years of dominance.

Reaction score
I haven't a clue what's being "built" here. Nor do I have any inclination as to what Garretts message or philosophies or core values are. What he seeks in players. The running joke is RKG and it doesn't mean a choir boy... it's supposed to mean someone who loves football and dedicates himself to the game. Yet we bring in guys like Christine Michael who one of the best run organizations in the league gave up on because he doesn't apply himself We keep Rolondo McClain around even though at 25 years old he's already retired twice, gets lazy in the offseason, etc. We tried desperately to make Josh Brent work even though he showed he gave two fucks about the game when he opted to go out drinking until 2am prior to games on game weekends. Oh, and killing teammates. There are other players too... Randle, etc, but why get into them.

Your comment how Garrett just gets through seasons by trying to figure out what he's supposed to do... I think there's A LOT of truth to that. I think Garrett is a book smart guy. I don't blame him per se for the position he's in. Hell, who in the world would turn down being handed the keys to a franchise despite having what, 5 years total coaching in any capacity on any level??? That is why Jason Garrett spends off seasons seeking guidance from the Sabans, the coach K's, the Jimmy Johnsons, etc. Trying to hone his craft? Eh... more like trying to learn on the fly how to be a head coach.

But see, being a head coach of an NFL isn't something you can learn on the fly or by attending seminars. The good coaches have spent a lifetime at it. They've cut their teeth coming up through the ranks... the offensive and defensive stat compilers. Years as various position coaches. Graduating through rightfully earned promotions. There are guys who have been coaching for 20 plus years. They have seen so many situations and so many scenarios. Successes and failures. They've persevered and risen through the ranks over that time.

Garrett was a heady player who was given the chance to be a QB coach. Via the most dysfunctional franchise in all of the NFL, he was just handed an OC position and then almost immediately (by NFL standards, instantly) a head coaching job.

And predictably so, he has no fucking clue what he's doing. It's why we've seen sooooo many ridiculous losses over the years. Blowing double digit second half leads has become our forte. It's why we've seen him go through three (not including Pasquellari or whatever) defensive coordinators. Why he's gone through a number of different play callers. Countless position coaches. It's because he has no fundamental philosophy about what kind of coaches he wants in his "tree." Guys who have risen through the ranks have guys they trust, can rely on, been to battle with.... who they know their core values etc align with theirs. Garrett is winging it. As such, we've seen countless guys play 'fall guy.'

So, back to the original question: What is being built here? Nothing.

What we have here is a franchise that remains completely dependent on an aging quarterback who in recent years has sustained three broken clavicals and two intrusive back surgeries. We go as #9 goes, because the coaching staff can't squeeze out wins with anyone else at center.

And the likelyhood of that changing in a year or two when Romo hangs is up is highly, highly unlikely. Not with this coaching staff.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just don't buy that there is anything being built. I don't buy that there is any foresight. I think Garrett just gets through each season trying to figure out what he was supposed to do.
That's exactly what he does.

Early on, I think he bought his own bullshit. I think he believed the fairy tale everyone was spouting that this was a talented team held back by Wade the dufus and with his leadership and discipline it would take off. Then he realized it wasn't that easy, and he started grasping at straws. Now he's hanging on by his fingernails. His comment after the game Saturday that, "I'm proud to be part of this team" was pathetic. It was basically him kissing the players' butts, a plea to his team to not quit on him.

Reaction score
At some point the powers that be in this franchise have to ask "what has been built?" He preaches process, process, process... a process leads to a result. If you keep on preaching, but never deliver results, you're just hoping the tease that the results are coming interests the higher ups.

Like what if you had an architect without blueprints? He has an idea of what the house will look like when it's finished, he tells you that he understands the process of building a house, and you see him doing things that an architect does. But if you don't know what he's trying to build, then how long do you give him to build the damn thing? Some years it kind of looks like a house, and then some years, the thing looks like it's falling apart, you're going to be asking him what the fuck he's doing. If all he keeps saying is "there's a process," you're going to be looking for a new architect.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Like what if you had an architect without blueprints? He has an idea of what the house will look like when it's finished, he tells you that he understands the process of building a house, and you see him doing things that an architect does. But if you don't know what he's trying to build, then how long do you give him to build the damn thing? Some years it kind of looks like a house, and then some years, the thing looks like it's falling apart, you're going to be asking him what the fuck he's doing. If all he keeps saying is "there's a process," you're going to be looking for a new architect.

I liken Garrett to a dry hole. Since Jerry is an oil man. How long to you invest time and equipment drilling at a dry hole. Yeah, that dry hole might have or had spit of crude, and I mean a spit, but that's been long gone. It's still a dry hole.Right now you are just churning mud.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Only fake fans don't understand what's being built here.

Tom Landry didn't coach the Cowboys to a playoff game until his 7th year as HC. He didn't get to a super bowl until year 11. Did you know that? Didn't think so.

Jason Garrett just needs another decade or so, you'll see.

Reaction score
Kind of off topic but I'm watching the Bruce Arians A Football Life on NFL Network and here is a two time NFL coach of the year winner. They're half way through the episode and they've covered his coaching stops. Graduate assistant after graduation. Assistant under Bear Bryant. Head coach at Temple for four years. QB coach for the colts. WR coach for the steelers. Etc etc etc.

All that accumulated experience. Motherfucker earned his position through blood sweet and tears.

Unlike Garrett.

But my favorite part of this show thus far is him talking about his coaching philosophy. Says "No risk it, no biscuit." Basically says you can't coach scared. You have to take chances to be great.

Meanwhile we have captain risk averse on our sidelines kicking field goals down 20 in the second half.

I'm a huge Arian fan after seeing this episode.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
A bunch of overpaid slapdicks that thinks .500 ball while trying hard is a good thing. Just like the shitty overwhelmed head coach.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Kind of off topic but I'm watching the Bruce Arians A Football Life on NFL Network and here is a two time NFL coach of the year winner. They're half way through the episode and they've covered his coaching stops. Graduate assistant after graduation. Assistant under Bear Bryant. Head coach at Temple for four years. QB coach for the colts. WR coach for the steelers. Etc etc etc.

All that accumulated experience. Motherfucker earned his position through blood sweet and tears.

Unlike Garrett.

But my favorite part of this show thus far is him talking about his coaching philosophy. Says "No risk it, no biscuit." Basically says you can't coach scared. You have to take chances to be great.

Meanwhile we have captain risk averse on our sidelines kicking field goals down 20 in the second half.

What doesn't make sense is that Jerry is ALWAYS in this "WIN NOW" mode. And he has the roster for it. Yet, why would you take on an inexperienced HC that by Jerry's own admission requires "on-the-job" training?

But then again it makes total sense. Jerry wants to be the king maker. 20 years of trying to prove Jimmy Johnson wrong, and only managing to prove Johnson correct at every turn.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Me too, I made a comment about this a week or so ago.

Just goes to show how utterly inept and unable jerri is as a gm to identify talent whether it be coaching or players. We have an empty shell at GM, worse than empty actually because he isn't even aware of his own ignorance (actually I think he is but he is in denial because having to acknowledge his incompetence would require him to stop playing with his toy) and continually makes decisions and creates an environment that perpetually takes them no place.

I see no hope as long as he's a functioning human

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Bill Parcells: Football needs guys like Mike Zimmer - NFL.com

Good read and video.

So much for that bullshit that Parcells didn't want Zimmer around when he took over.
The part when Zimmer went berzerk when Bridgewater got the cheap shot and then said at the PC if that had been on the street there'd have been a fight with Fisher was great.

Can you imagine how different that is from Garrett? Garrett would have a huge postgame grin for Fisher in hopes Jeff wouldn't be too mad at him for letting his QB's head get in the way of his DB's forearm.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Unlike Garrett.

I agree
He carries his balls around in a wheel barrow

Good or bad he does it his way

That's why it took so long to make HC. He would only take the AZ job if he could bring along the ppl he wanted as assistants. One being the current HC of the jets who attributes his success directly to BA.

He's the type of HC that could take us to the next level. And exactly the kind of HC that Jerruh will never hire because he can't control him!

We are doomed to a long list of Garret impersonators until JJ dies!

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
The Jags have won more games this year? Right? Maybe we are building a London Franchise?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If we tie the Rams record we will go to London next year. Let's pray that happens. The last couple of coaches that went to London got fired on the plane ride home

There is hope for Garret yet. Lol

Reaction score
Ginger's not building a damn thing. He has no philosophy or experience. He has zero ability to coach up players or recognize talent. Basically, he has no attributes that define what a good head coach can bring to a franchise. He's a pure fraud who was hired due to some sort of weird nepotism or loyalty that I don't quite understand either.

The main reason he is here though is because he makes guys like Lacewell feel real comfortable. Jerry's confidants will never let someone like Parcells come in again and spoil their fun.

There are many subplots in Dallas, but none involve the importance of the team winning or being consistently successful. The stadium art work, invitations to the owners suite, who gets credit for accidental success, etc. all seem to top the list of what matters most.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
It looks like we a re building a really good roster overall so we can showcase how inept our head coach is and how much of a moron Jerry is for hiring him.

Top Bottom