bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
True but Cuban sold their 1st pick in 2013 to save about $900K in cap space to make a run at Dwight Howard. Donnie is on record saying they wanted Giannis Antetokounmpo in draft but Cuban told them no, he wanted the cap space. He basically passed on Dak to make a run at Tony Romo.

this idea has intrigued me for years...I know that draft picks are like gold in the NFL, however, with Dallas having cap "problems" year after year and having to keep rework vets contracts to push off problems for a few years, would it make sense for the Cowboys to trade next years first round pick for a second rounder this year? The salary cap savings will be decent and we're close to getting to a Super Bowl, it may help with future cap savings as well.

Now, only if there is someone on the board that they really like... perhaps a good cover cb or a safety after taking a pass rushing DE in the first round?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
this idea has intrigued me for years...I know that draft picks are like gold in the NFL, however, with Dallas having cap "problems" year after year and having to keep rework vets contracts to push off problems for a few years, would it make sense for the Cowboys to trade next years first round pick for a second rounder this year? The salary cap savings will be decent and we're close to getting to a Super Bowl, it may help with future cap savings as well.

Now, only if there is someone on the board that they really like... perhaps a good cover cb or a safety after taking a pass rushing DE in the first round?

Definitely not. Like you said NFL draft picks are like gold. Jerry has thrown away 1st round picks before and it got this team in a huge hole.

Also I'm not concerned with the salary cap. Whenever there has been a player that they've really wanted to keep, they've been able to. If they can trade Romo they will only have to deal with his cap hit for 1 year. And his cap hit has already been accounted for considering he's scheduled to count more against the cap if he's on the team.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Definitely not. Like you said NFL draft picks are like gold. Jerry has thrown away 1st round picks before and it got this team in a huge hole.

Also I'm not concerned with the salary cap. Whenever there has been a player that they've really wanted to keep, they've been able to. If they can trade Romo they will only have to deal with his cap hit for 1 year. And his cap hit has already been accounted for considering he's scheduled to count more against the cap if he's on the team.

I agree. I'm not big on spending money on free agents. I'm big on drafting players which the cowboys have done horrible before the past couple of years.

I know many want us to spend money on a big time free agent but I don't want to push the issue and spend too much money on a DEnd. Statistically looking at Vernon of the Giants, his contract doesn't match his output. Many talk about how the Giants pass rush was better this year but I can't give that credit to Vernon. I think JPP made a hell of a difference for the Giants squad. Let's draft and groom our own talent.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I agree. I'm not big on spending money on free agents. I'm big on drafting players which the cowboys have done horrible before the past couple of years.

I know many want us to spend money on a big time free agent but I don't want to push the issue and spend too much money on a DEnd. Statistically looking at Vernon of the Giants, his contract doesn't match his output. Many talk about how the Giants pass rush was better this year but I can't give that credit to Vernon. I think JPP made a hell of a difference for the Giants squad. Let's draft and groom our own talent.

Exactly. Vernon is being paid like a top DE and he only had 8.5 sacks this year. That's a huge cap hit for mediocre production. It's best to draft and groom your own players and pay them when they come up for free agency. That's better than paying someone else's players that got good playing in a different scheme.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Exactly. Vernon is being paid like a top DE and he only had 8.5 sacks this year. That's a huge cap hit for mediocre production. It's best to draft and groom your own players and pay them when they come up for free agency. That's better than paying someone else's players that got good playing in a different scheme.

Huge point about the scheme. We should have learned our damn lesson about DEnds with the Greg Hardy fiasco. Paid big money for mediocre production. Glad that was only a one year experiment.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I also think we may be putting too much on the issue regarding sacks. I may be looking at the wrong data but two teams in the Super Bowl had two less total team sacks than we did. I simply think we need to more aggressive corners and push for increasing turnovers such as fumbles and interceptions. Just my opinion. I say go Safety and Corner first two rounds. Move Jones back to the other corner spot.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That why I take the argument that with need speed at the LB positions as ball hawking ability at the Defensive Back positions. I go first or second round Safety/Linebacker. 3rd round corner back.

I'm sorry but I just don't trust the process of drafting high on cornerbacks. Some of the best corners in the league today's are either late round picks or undrafted free agents.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That why I take the argument that with need speed at the LB positions as ball hawking ability at the Defensive Back positions. I go first or second round Safety/Linebacker. 3rd round corner back.

I'm sorry but I just don't trust the process of drafting high on cornerbacks. Some of the best corners in the league today's are either late round picks or undrafted free agents.

Pretty much all the good corners play on a team with an elite pass rush too. The Cowboys should focus on improving the front 7. You build an elite front 7 your CB's look a whole lot better.

Reaction score
Huge point about the scheme. We should have learned our damn lesson about DEnds with the Greg Hardy fiasco. Paid big money for mediocre production. Glad that was only a one year experiment.

Again though, just think about whether Hardy was one of many to choose from or really the only option left. Think about the draft when DeMarcus Lawrence or Wilcox were drafted? What about Frederick? He was supposed to be a DT. They waited until there was no one really considered "good" left. The Dak draft worked but Jerry was so far behind all the other teams who were aggressive that Oakland, Denver, Philly, Rams, Cleveland, all had means to get their targets but Jerry and Jason just floundered until all that was left was Dak. It's great that it worked out but it also reinforced the passive waiting game to continue.

I almost see a Munchhausen by proxy thing for Garrett that he intentionally shies away from stocking the defense so they are always the scapegoat and he doesn't have to be responsible since he cannot directly coach them.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Again though, just think about whether Hardy was one of many to choose from or really the only option left.

Hardy= shiny object or sizzle. Wildcatter gotta wildcat. Salesman sells the sizzle.

"When it comes to something like e-sports, it makes so much sense for us because we're such a sales driven organization," said Matt O'Neil, senior VP of brand marketing for the Dallas Cowboys.

This from an article where they are looking at buying an E-sports team. Never has a sentence summed up this organizations priority so well. Or 20 years of fan heart ache.

The Dallas Cowboys Are Considering Buying an E-Sports Team | Digital - AdAge

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate)
2/9/17, 4:24 PM
Rams, Eagles, Bears, Cowboys and 49ers are expected to have interest in Free Agent WR Pierre Garçon. (via Washington Post)

This would be an interesting signing. Hopefully he'll be able to switch to #83 if Dallas signs him.

Reaction score
Rams, Eagles, Bears, Cowboys and 49ers are expected to have interest in Free Agent WR Pierre Garçon. (via Washington Post)

This would be an interesting signing. Hopefully he'll be able to switch to #83 if Dallas signs him.

Someone on Twitter referred to him as a deep threat while Beasley is a possession WR.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I'd rather keep TW if the price is right. Garcon will be 31 when the season starts and while he is a dependable player, he's not really much of a downfield threat. We don't really need a guy who's another chain mover in the offense, we have those.

Reaction score
I'd rather keep TW if the price is right. Garcon will be 31 when the season starts and while he is a dependable player, he's not really much of a downfield threat. We don't really need a guy who's another chain mover in the offense, we have those.

We obviously don't have enough to move chains because we weren't doing that in crunch time. As Atlanta experienced in the SB, scoring points on big sudden games is great but then what do you do for the next three quarters? We need complete options and TWilly is only half and option.

By the way this is the Beasley possession WR thing.

http://www.12up.com/posts/4547241-r...medium=fan_pages&utm_source=facebook.com.html

Top Bottom