theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The other thing to keep in mind is

The other thing to keep in mind actually is lets take that 20 million that these five mediocre players cost last year and see what their options are in regards to actually upgrading the talent. I'd rather spend that money on a pocket collapser and difference maker like Kawan Short, and worry about replacing these JAGS later.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm actually ok with them not spending big money on other teams free agents. How often does it actually work out when you give a guy big money on a long term contract.

Olivier Vernon was the marquee FA DE last off season. That guy is now making Von Miller money and only had 8 1/2 sacks this year. If that had been the Cowboys that paid him about 90% of you guys would have been complaining and saying how stupid it was to spend that kind of money on a FA and how the Cowboys shit the bed again in free agency.

The Cowboys are not 1 player away from having a great defense. If they are going to spend big money at some point they better make sure they already have a solid defensive foundation in place. Vernon on this defense wouldn't have even put up 8.5 sacks.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Then he could still just, keep his dicktrap shut.

He did the right thing. I trust Stephen knows what to say and do. He said everything right about Demarco Murray two years ago. You say all the right things in public. Don't give another team your free agency looks before the period starts.

jeremysmith214

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Haha. Doomsday let's not put the Jerry title on Stephen too quickly. It takes time to get that Jerry stamp. Let's give him at least 5 years before we start proclaiming, "He just like his damn dad!"

We did dodge the Johnny Football trap so he is somewhat proven in his judgement.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We did dodge the Johnny Football trap so he is somewhat proven in his judgement.
That's different from him sending notice to the agents of his FAs that we want to re-sign them, this early. And we can't possibly blame him yet for the WAYYYYY overpaying we've done in the last few years either, right?

Your pancake has two sides, like all pancakes. There's really no valid reason at all for him to be saying shit like this. Neutral and non-committal are the watchwords. Not foaming at the mouth heaping praise on scrubs we'll likely keep and way overpay because nobody else wants any of them.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, Cuban is an absolutely horrible GM. Other than keeping himself in Dirk's good graces and hiring Rick Carlisle, he's been as bad as Jerry.

Anyway, I firmly believe Stephen thinks he's a genius drafter and they don't need to ever sign FAs, other than cheap fliers and fillers. I guess lately they have been good drafters, but I wouldn't expect that to last forever. The Patriots are the best in the business, and Belichick has always selectively signed productive FAs, even some very old ones.

The Cowboys don't spend money on free agents simply because they can't.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We're not awful. We've gotten

Brandon Carr
Greg Hardy
Cedric Thornton

Oh wait, we suck.

Reaction score
Stephen Jones: "I don’t see that we’re going to [sign] a lot of [our] guys before free agency. It might be seeing what the market dictates.”

:towel

Reaction score
Stephen Jones: "I don’t see that we’re going to [sign] a lot of [our] guys before free agency. It might be seeing what the market dictates.”

Reaction score

Do you see how passive and non-aggressive the team has become under Garrett? Yes, the over jumping and over paying Jerry impulsivity led to a lot of dead money. But having no one and Nick Hayden is worse. The wait and see what happens is not what the perennial playoff and Super Bowl teams are doing.

"We take what the league leaves us with."

Passive.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Do you see how passive and non-aggressive the team has become under Garrett? Yes, the over jumping and over paying Jerry impulsivity led to a lot of dead money. But having no one and Nick Hayden is worse. The wait and see what happens is not what the perennial playoff and Super Bowl teams are doing.

"We take what the league leaves us with."

Passive.

Who exactly did the Patriots and Falcons sign in the off season? I know Atlanta signed Sanu but that wasn't exactly a blockbuster deal.

Also the Pats have made a dynasty by staying away from the big priced FA's. unless you consider Chris Hogan a premier FA.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who exactly did the Patriots and Falcons sign in the off season? I know Atlanta signed Sanu but that wasn't exactly a blockbuster deal.

The Falcons added free agents Tyson Jackson, Brooks Reid, Courtney Upshaw, Adrian Clayborn, Dwight Freeny, and Dashon Goldson the last few years, as well as Sanu and Alex Mack. Not exactly "big names" but clear upgrades on what they had before. They did their real damage by overloading on defensive players the past few drafts.
2013 - Desmond Trufant, CB, 1st round, CB Robert Alford, 2nd round
2014 - DT Ra'Shede Hageman, 2nd round, S Ricardo Allen, 5th round
2015 - LB Vic Beasley, 1st round, CB Jalen Collins, 2nd round, DT Grady Jackson, 5th round
2016 - S Keanu Neal, 1st round, LB Deon Jones, 2nd round, LB De'Vondre Campbell, 4th round

The Patriots are much more strategic. They signed Hogan as a restricted free agent. They traded for Martellus Bennett. They also are good at identifying guys who might not work out for their team and acquire them on the cheap. Free agent Shea McClellan and trades for Barkevious Mingo, Eric Rowe, and Kyle Van Noy. The Patriots are never afraid to make moves and are constantly upgrading their roster.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Patriots are never afraid to make moves and are constantly upgrading their roster.

What I really like about what Belicheat does is maximize rookie deals and ship guys off that he doesnt wanna pay. No clogging the cap with shit.

Top Bottom