Reaction score
God reading that is embarrassing. Can't believe some of the fools we keep employed.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
God reading that is embarrassing. Can't believe some of the fools we keep employed.

it was, Zimmer came off great, I love the cut of his jib.

I agree with you TE and would much prefer to have Zimmer coaching here now

(but I still think jeri would fuck things up :dance )

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
On another note, the hatred of Garrett presents a dilemma:

If Dak is successful and becomes a franchise QB, it also means Garrett is likely to extend his stay here for several more years.

So if having Dak turn into a franchise QB means Garrett is here 5+ more years, would you rather Dak flop and Garrett get fired or see if Dak can overcome Garrett?
I'd rather Dak have a better head coach to give him the best chance for success. Just like every other player on the team.

But I can't even picture your question, really. Dak struggling won't get Garrett fired. Dak (and thus the team) struggling will just change the narrative to you couldn't expect Jason to win without a QB.

Basically, the only way I could possibly see Garrett getting fired is if Tony and everyone else was healthy and we still lost big. That's out the window as of a week ago.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd rather Dak have a better head coach to give him the best chance for success. Just like every other player on the team.

thats a given but not likely a reality

But I can't even picture your question, really. Dak struggling won't get Garrett fired. Dak (and thus the team) struggling will just change the narrative to you couldn't expect Jason to win without a QB.

Basically, the only way I could possibly see Garrett getting fired is if Tony and everyone else was healthy and we still lost big. That's out the window as of a week ago.

lol, sounds like you think Garrett is gonna be here for 4+ more years no matter what

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Junk schooling the Tucson Legend.

Ahaha, yep. Plus we got a I'm-sourced-but-not-revealing-it comment, a Not Guessing, and a Hung Up on Titles all in one page. :lol

Also, lol at Yim liking posts from that old thread.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Speaking of that, not sure you guys got it on the NFLN broadcast, but Campo was in the booth and when Jerry appeared he said, "Now can you believe how terrible it is that you hire a friend to be head coach and then you never give him a quarterback you can win with?"

That's Jerry. Hiring friends to do jobs they aren't qualified for.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Speaking of that, not sure you guys got it on the NFLN broadcast, but Campo was in the booth and when Jerry appeared he said, "Now can you believe how terrible it is that you hire a friend to be head coach and then you never give him a quarterback you can win with?"

Starts with guy doing the hiring not being qualified after almost 30 years to do the job he is doing. Only guys who have really pissed Jerry off so far are Jimmy and Rob Ryan. I only think Ryan pissed him off because Ryan is another salesman who sold him a bill of goods. Getting em to sell the farm for Claiborne didnt help either.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ahaha, yep. Plus we got a I'm-sourced-but-not-revealing-it comment, a Not Guessing, and a Hung Up on Titles all in one page. :lol

Also, lol at Yim liking posts from that old thread.

lol, Im trying to spread the love around and potentially get that thread reignited to fire up the mods

plus those likes were long overdue, join the party

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

yeah I heard that, you want to resume the new coach wont make a difference discussion?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just bumped that mother fucker

what are the odds all hell breaks lose?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just bumped that mother fucker

what are the odds all hell breaks lose?

and I've already had my post deleted and been chastised

Does anyone know their logic behind the no bumping of old threads rule?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely just chewing the fat and never any hard feelings, amigo.

I'd answer like this: I don't think it's necessary for a coach to run everything and have final say on every decision. In fact the vast majority of coaches don't have that power. Most coaches (e.g. Andy Reid) have found they do a worse job when they try to do too much more than just coaching the team.

You say we wouldn't see the same Zimmer here that we do in Minny and I ask why not? Jerry wouldn't let him unilaterally cut players, but only a couple of coaches can do that anyway and I'm sure Zimmer isn't one of them. Jerry wouldn't let him run the draft room, but most coaches don't get to do that either.

I think you underestimate the power a coach has in the day to day running of the team that has nothing to do with the draft room or even cutting players off the team. Jerry wouldn't prevent Zim from doing the things that make him good, like chewing a player's ass in practice, or challenging a him in the media, or temporarily making him third team to send a message. Zimmer wouldn't suddenly change from his demanding, ass-kicking ways just because of Jerry. We know this because Zim was a demanding ass-kicker when he was here working for Jerry. There are even documented stories of him standing up to Jerry in draft meetings (2002 Peter King story).

And that's not even to speak of mismanaging actual games -- time management, player deployment, etc. like Garrett does.

TLDR: Jerry is a pain in the ass and a hindrance but he doesn't automatically make a coach lose his entire personality or become a poor coach. (And if he tried, IMO Zim would have enough backbone to quit, unlike our Red Politician who'd rather trade his nutsack for a paycheck.)

Nice post TE and 100% on the mark. I can see where yimy is coming from and no doubt Jerry will undermine and hinder his HC but that doesn't excuse the countless game day gaffes and clock management issues. It doesn't excuse the poor play calling and the complete inability to even attempt to establish a running game. I think even Jerry knew those short comings which is why he took play calling duties away from his HC. And Garrett, being the spineless "yes" man that he is, just accepted it. Garrett is the reason why the players don't see him as an authority figure. No coach worth his weight would allow the owner/GM to take duties away from him but Jerry had the leverage and Garrett needed a new contract so he bent over and took it like the good lackey that he is.

The thing is, now that Garrett got his extension, he still can't and won't man up. Garrett has done as much to undermine his authority as Jerry has. If I'm a new HC with my reputation on the line, do I hire Kiffin and watch my D flame out? Do I let Jerry basically fire my brother? Granted, he got the job because of nepotism but still.

Garrett is the luckiest man in the NFL. He's getting paid 4 million dollars a year. He's in a no lose situation. If they lose, it's because they lost their starting/franchise QB. If they win, he gets "credit" for developing Dak and coaching/identifying him at the senior bowl. And the fans basically have to sit out another year (at least). I'm hoping Dak can be the QB we all hope he is but we're asking a rookie to save a team, it's fan base, it's incompetent HC and dolt GM.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Guys, you keep harping on Garrett, which I dont disagree with in most respects, my point is I dont believe jeri is going to hire the type of coach you want here. So, even when Garrett is replaced, it will be with a similar, pliable personality who is just happy to get a coaching job and will happily defer to jeri as the alpha dog. Sure he may be a better coordinator and game day manager but he'll be overwhelmed and gobbled up by the tortured organization jeri has created, which ultimately undermines every coach that's ever been here.

Every coach jeri has ever hired has had a comfortability with jeri factor (via age and/or past connections) and have had easy going, passive personalities that jeri could control (obviously except for Jimmy & Parcells---however Parcells was desperate).

Switzer- happy, go lucky ex coach sitting on his couch stunned to get another coaching job anywhere, much less the cowboys
Chan Gailey - pliable, within jeris age group and a touch of desperation, IIRC, jeri got him to lie about the Irvin situation
Campo-does this even need explanation
Wade phillips aka the Pilsbury dough boy, same as above
Jason Garrett enough said already

All of these guys happily defer to jeri and are thrilled to just get the opportunity to be a head coach and likely never questioned anything in their contracts that castrated them in advance in case they ever decided to draw a line in the sand with jeri.

Post Jimmy, comfort, leverage, control, passivity and a touch of desperation are the criteria that jeri looks for in a coaching situation imo

Perhaps Stephen makes the next hire. If so, it will be interesting to see what kind of person he brings into the fold.

I'm all ears, please explain where I'm out of line here.

Top Bottom