dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Omega, pls get back to some of that cutting edge shit about explaining how our passing game sux despite the fact we had the QB who won the passing title, led in yds per attempt and comp % and had one of the best 1-2 WR combinations in football in terms of yds, tds and yds per reception.

I need to be educated.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the obvious upgrade to the defense. But losing the offense's best player, the NFLs offensive player of the year, the architect of the running game and the author and playcaller of the organization of the O-line, and then the best punt returner/special teams tough guy/4thWR...WITHOUT EFFECTIVELY OR EQUALLY REPLACING ANY OF THE ABOVE, gives a very logical reason to think that things are not going to be as successful on Offense as they were last year.

It's really not negative, it's just simple math.

O-3 (+ {}) =¥.

The offense minus 3 (Murray, Callahan, and Harris) plus a bunch of questionmarks equals uncertainty.

Duh.

I'm concerned about them not being as good on offense as well but I also love the restraint in not signing Murray. I hated to see him go and think he had a special connection to the team that will be missed. Having said that, the salary cap forces every team to make these types of decisions and teams have to turnover their rosters to remain competitive.

It appears to me they decided to spread cap resources more evenly across the entire team which I think is a good approach so the math is more complex in my opinion because while they took away from the offense they added to the defense, perhaps that will be a better formula? Time will tell......

I prefer to see them making hard decisions and letting some players leave instead of locking them up with huge contracts that crush the team when they don't pan out. We've seen that for years and I don't believe it works except with a few select special players like Romo, Witten, Dez. I see a more measured approach to how the team is being run and think they will remain competitive with this approach.

I do wish they could have locked Dez up during last season so they could have franchised Murray for one year to see how that would have panned out but despite not pulling that off, it appears they've done some pretty good things with the money that could have been allocated to Murray and I have some optimism for this season.

Last season was special though, it was right there for the taking, I wish they could have pulled it off because it aint easy climbing that mountain.

The worst part is Murray is an Eagle, I HATE the fucking eagles but I love Murray.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm concerned about them not being as good on offense as well but I also love the restraint in not signing Murray. I hated to see him go and think he had a special connection to the team that will be missed. Having said that, the salary cap forces every team to make these types of decisions and teams have to turnover their rosters to remain competitive.
Again, I don't think anyone -- including Omega, as he made clear -- has any problem with letting Murray go for the money it was going to cost. It was the lack of urgency in replacing him that bothers people.

But maybe Steve is right and "anyone" really can run behind this line.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Again, I don't think anyone -- including Omega, as he made clear -- has any problem with letting Murray go for the money it was going to cost. It was the lack of urgency in replacing him that bothers people.

But maybe Steve is right and "anyone" really can run behind this line.

I think they showed restraint and addressed the need as best they could with the options they had available. In the past jerri would have mortgaged the future with a roy willy type trade for a player that may not even pan out as RW never did. There was no obvious solution available to them at reasonable terms that I have seen that they passed on.

You can't have it all anymore and all teams have weaknesses and have to make tough decisions and I'd prefer they do what they did vs getting locked into a player that may not work out and have to pay a large contract and perhaps multiple picks just to find that out.

We've see them reach and knee jerk for years and suffered because of it, I'm surprised more of you aren't glad to see that come to and end (hopefully Claiborne was the final lesson).

On paper, the off season looks very good to me, it seems fans want perfection and thats never gonna be an option. The season will have highs and lows and I think they're going to have a rough start but even if that happens, I think they're positioned to be in the running at the end of the year when it really matters (barring major injuries).

Considering the shit we've had to watch since Jimmy left, I would think fans would be more optimistic about how things have been managed recently.

Despite the questions at RB, it appears to me we're going to have a fun team to watch this year. I just hope my optimism doesn't jinx them

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So we couldn't possibly have passed on THE Chaz Green to take a RB in the 3rd? Okay.

You're right, my bad, cancel the season, better luck next year folks that 3rd round decision obviously sunk this years ship and I overlooked it.

Good catch amigo, thx for setting me straight.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you could bare to watch a bit more of that abortion video, you see Garrett sound off in no uncertain terms about an unknown player. It was in some meeting when he was much younger. I thought to myself, "what an arrogant man and I wonder how many times he was wrong." That was the demeanor of a guy who knows he's entrenched at Valley Ranch and could do no wrong. I bet all these guys hated the world when BP came to town and they were probably minimized, if not outright fired (see Lacewell, Larry).

Funny story in the Part II Romo / QC video where Broaddus walks into the cafeteria during camp and sees Lacewell sitting at the table drinking coffee and Lacewell said something to the effect, "he did it......(referring to BP)." Broaddus asked what he did and Lacewell says "he (BP) just cut our starting QB." It must have been shocking for those dolts back then to work under BP and if I'm not mistaken, Broaddus was fired, along with Lacewell. And it must have killed Garrett Sr. to not have the boss' ear. Accountability gentlemen.
Yep, and now his spawn has guaranteed job security as well. Another reason it irritates me when he talks about competition, accountability, etc. He's made, and has never had to worry about anything here.

And yeah, the bitterness in Broaddus was evident in the video. I wasn't a Parcells megafan like some, but he was so awesome. His little interview bits were the best part of that whole video series. After seeing that, I'm even more convinced than ever that we might still be looking for a QB if Jerry hadn't needed his new palace built.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You're right, my bad, cancel the season, better luck next year folks that 3rd round decision obviously sunk this years ship and I overlooked it.

Good catch amigo, thx for setting me straight.

Never said anything about cancelling the season. But I don't think using a mid-round draft pick on such an important position would have been a reactionary knee-jerk decision, either. In fact I think it would have been quite "reasonable."

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Never said anything about cancelling the season. But I don't think using a mid-round draft pick on such an important position would have been a reactionary knee-jerk decision, either. In fact I think it would have been quite "reasonable."

Perhaps so, but I don't think your expectations are reasonable, you're nit picking over something that is no guarantee to even result in the solution you're hoping for. I personally don't find fault in trusting the scouts/board and if thats who they felt was the best available player, I want them to trust their board and not go off the reservation like jerri did with Quincy.

We will no doubt be able to review this (and other) decisions and look back with perfect hindsight and say "See, we should have taken that guy!" but thats not how it works, its not an exact science and every team misses.

I think the best we can hope for is that the team sets up a scouting department that matches a sound and logical strategy and consistently works to refine and improve that methodology & personnel so the best results can be obtained. It appears they have improved this a lot from the days of jerri & Lacewell and that makes me happy.

Perfection is not an option, we have to take the good with the mediocre with the bad.

I'm just glad jerri doesn't appear to be in there wild-catting and swinging for the fences.

Last edited:

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm confused as to which DCU fixed response to use:

1. This guy sucks.
2. Garrett sucks.
3. Jerry sucks.
4. We're going to suck.

Can someone help me out?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the obvious upgrade to the defense. But losing the offense's best player, the NFLs offensive player of the year, the architect of the running game and the author and playcaller of the organization of the O-line, and then the best punt returner/special teams tough guy/4thWR...WITHOUT EFFECTIVELY OR EQUALLY REPLACING ANY OF THE ABOVE, gives a very logical reason to think that things are not going to be as successful on Offense as they were last year.

It's really not negative, it's just simple math.

O-3 (+ {}) =¥.

The offense minus 3 (Murray, Callahan, and Harris) plus a bunch of questionmarks equals uncertainty.

Duh.

You're full of shit.

1.) Dez has always been our best offensive player bar none. He has a much greater body of work than Murray. What you and others seem to not recognize is that it is because of Dez that Murray didn't face many 8-men fronts, and he help relieve pressure off the Oline.

2.) You overrate Callahan's influence. Architect of the running game my ass. Pollack was the hands-on guy when it came to the Oline. Hell. Callahan was up in the booth, how many OL coaches are up in the booth? Take a look at the Redskins' OL right now... Callahan hasn't done much for them.

3.) And Harris... GTFOH! Beaseley has already shown that he is a better PR, and should have been the PR from the get-go. And Imersonally think that Dunbar is definitely an upgrade over Harris as a KR.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

It appears to me they decided to spread cap resources more evenly across the entire team which I think is a good approach so the math is more complex in my opinion because while they took away from the offense they added to the defense, perhaps that will be a better formula? Time will tell......

I prefer to see them making hard decisions and letting some players leave instead of locking them up with huge contracts that crush the team when they don't pan out. We've seen that for years and I don't believe it works except with a few select special players like Romo, Witten, Dez. I see a more measured approach to how the team is being run and think they will remain competitive with this approach.

I do wish they could have locked Dez up during last season so they could have franchised Murray for one year to see how that would have panned out but despite not pulling that off, it appears they've done some pretty good things with the money that could have been allocated to Murray and I have some optimism for this season.

Last season was special though, it was right there for the taking, I wish they could have pulled it off because it aint easy climbing that mountain.

The worst part is Murray is an Eagle, I HATE the fucking eagles but I love Murray.

If we had kept Murray... do you think that he would have gotten another near-400 carries? Was not his success based upon that?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I think they covered why they didn't pull the trigger on a RB back on draft weekend did they not?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1.) Dez has always been our best offensive player bar none. He has a much greater body of work than Murray. What you and others seem to not recognize is that it is because of Dez that Murray didn't face many 8-men fronts, and he help relieve pressure off the Oline.

Not to piss on you or Omega's parade, but Romo has been our best offesive player and it's not even a question for debate. And wasn't Dez the guy who couldn't run or didn't know all his routes just a year or two ago? Dez is great, no doubt about it. But he disappears all too often for a guy of his talents.

Oh, and I can appreciate the new reason for Murray's production (lack of 8 man fronts because of Dez). Another outside the box thinker. We've used all kinds of reasons to excuse Murray's production. I liked what Murray did last year but I liked the offensive mindset that Murray's production allowed even more. I hope we can have the same focus and commitment to the run this year.

2.) You overrate Callahan's influence. Architect of the running game my ass. Pollack was the hands-on guy when it came to the Oline. Hell. Callahan was up in the booth, how many OL coaches are up in the booth? Take a look at the Redskins' OL right now... Callahan hasn't done much for them.

Patience Logan, it's only been one season. It took us 4 years of extraordinary vision to build this line and team. Rebuilds take time.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Patience Logan, it's only been one season. It took us 4 years of extraordinary vision to build this line and team. Rebuilds take time.

They are trying to build that OL in one offseason. They were expecting instantaneous results.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Perhaps so, but I don't think your expectations are reasonable, you're nit picking over something that is no guarantee to even result in the solution you're hoping for.
Really? It's not reasonable to ask for a mid-round pick for one of the key components to our success last year? It's nitpicking to ask our RB to be more than Joseph Randle and a bunch of cast-offs?

Okay.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'm confused as to which DCU fixed response to use:

1. This guy sucks.
2. Garrett sucks.
3. Jerry sucks.
4. We're going to suck.

Can someone help me out?

Anyone of those,hard to go wrong.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Love the apologist's argument,,

If you criticize the team's 3rd round pick then you are saying the SEASON IS LOST, HUMANITY IS LOST, OH MY GOD, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Apologist approach - Everything we do is magic and the best.
Realist approach - Give credit where credit is due, criticize where criticism is due, have an actual opinion.

Top Bottom