Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Say what you will, but there was one main reason for not winning a ring here. That reason is that Romo is a choke artist. I know that's harsh to say, I know the Zone would ban me for stating it, but it's the truth. From the North Dallas 40 "life imitates art" fumbled snap on the chip shot FG to the 500 yard 5 TD choke job to Denver, the pattern never wavered. Yes, the 500 yard, 5 TD game was a choke job because when it mattered most, Romo blew the game with a blatant interception in Cowboys territory that set up the easy, walk off win for Denver. Just like the 3 straight win and in, or go home games where Romo laid eggs. Just like the one and done following a 13-3 season, Romo, and the teams he lead always choked. That is why Romo has never seen an NFC title game as anything other than a spectator.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Stick Romo on a better team and he would have rings.
A tad fewer bonehead picks in critical situations and a few less fumbles in crucial situations and he has a ring or two here. It's half dozen of one, six of the other. You all like to pretend there hasn't been multiple chances for Tony to strike gold. He never respected the ball. Protecting it was never one of his big priorities.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Say what you will, but there was one main reason for not winning a ring here. That reason is that Romo is a choke artist. I know that's harsh to say, I know the Zone would ban me for stating it, but it's the truth. From the North Dallas 40 "life imitates art" fumbled snap on the chip shot FG to the 500 yard 5 TD choke job to Denver, the pattern never wavered. Yes, the 500 yard, 5 TD game was a choke job because when it mattered most, Romo blew the game with a blatant interception in Cowboys territory that set up the easy, walk off win for Denver. Just like the 3 straight win and in, or go home games where Romo laid eggs. Just like the one and done following a 13-3 season, Romo, and the teams he lead always choked. That is why Romo has never seen an NFC title game as anything other than a spectator.

That was as much if not more Garrett, than Romo. But I get your point.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This kind of reeks as though the Cowboys have already won the Super Bowl. A premature raspberry to the Romo era.
It actually reeks of a farewell to Romo, because this is his last year in Dallas and stuff.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If that person really did buy this place, from everything I've heard about him he likely bans about 75 percent of this membership by now.

:lol so true, would be a hilarious sequence of events though, resulting in me getting banned twice

Last edited:

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
A tad fewer bonehead picks in critical situations and a few less fumbles in crucial situations and he has a ring or two here. It's half dozen of one, six of the other. You all like to pretend there hasn't been multiple chances for Tony to strike gold. He never respected the ball. Protecting it was never one of his big priorities.

Tell that to Favre and Eli. You can make a case for Favre's 1 ring (which is one more than Romo), but Eli has 2. the guys an interception throwing machine. Basically the same rate as Romo. The difference? He's had a real coach and GM. Romo in NY would have resulted in similar if not greater success. Romo has his fair share of blame for some game day fuck-ups, but he also has the distinction of being the sole reason this team has been competitive for 10 years.

It actually reeks of a farewell to Romo, because this is his last year in Dallas and stuff.

Don't try and soft pedal it now. A diatribe of criticism is a good-riddance, not a farewell.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tell that to Favre and Eli. You can make a case for Favre's 1 ring (which is one more than Romo), but Eli has 2. the guys an interception throwing machine. Basically the same rate as Romo. The difference? He's had a real coach and GM. Romo in NY would have resulted in similar if not greater success. Romo has his fair share of blame for some game day fuck-ups, but he also has the distinction of being the sole reason this team has been competitive for 10 years
Yep poor ole Tony just never had a quality team around him... The excuses are endless.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Don't try and soft pedal it now. A diatribe of criticism is a good-riddance, not a farewell.

Accurate description of what it is isn't soft or any other kind of peddling. It's just a statement of what it is. It seems like you didn't read it all.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Yep poor ole Tony just never had a quality team around him... The excuses are endless.

Of course they are: they end with the circumstances as they are as historical fact. A very good QB on a shitty team.

Accurate description of what it is isn't soft or any other kind of peddling. It's just a statement of what it is. It seems like you didn't read it all.

Of course I did. I reacted to what I'd read: a long-winded, highly subjective critical rant against a guy who fared far better under shitty circumstances, than most could have. There're any number of examples with shitty teams and lesser qb's not having the ability to elevate the people around them as a barometer.

A statement of fact would have been an even assessment of all things considered. Romo's failures, in conjunction with the rest of the teams failures, culminating in one large pot of failure.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
A statement of fact would have been an even assessment of all things considered. Romo's failures, in conjunction with the rest of the teams failures, culminating in one large pot of failure.
That statement of fact you disputed was when I said, "It's a farewell to Romo." You said that was a example of "soft pedaling" (sic) and it's not. It's a farewell to Romo, with good wishes.

NOW you're saying the OP in general wasn't objective enough to suit you. That's fine, you're free to write your own opinion thread on the Romo legacy.

You missed this part though:
Objectively, the best that can be said of Romo is he did extremely well for himself. Small school phenom from the heartland, had no chance to crack a NFL roster much less become a ten year starter in the league, Romo parlayed his abilities, moxie and fortunate circumstances into 100 million in earnings over the last ten years. It's really a quite remarkable accomplishment worthy of praise and respect.
And I think that's right. Objectively, that IS the best that can be said of him.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh the humanity!

Romo looked awesome, had great zip on the ball and drove the O down the field like a hot knife through butter, made me want to see more of him.

I'd say that one drive and done couldn't have gone more perfectly

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romo looked awesome, had great zip on the ball and drove the O down the field like a hot knife through butter, made me want to see more of him.

I'd say that one drive and done couldn't have gone more perfectly

Sure it could have

If T Willy would have ran instead of jog down the field he could have caught the very first throw of a TD

That is what should have happened if T Willy didn't fuck up

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
That statement of fact you disputed was when I said, "It's a farewell to Romo." You said that was a example of "soft pedaling" (sic) and it's not. It's a farewell to Romo, with good wishes.

NOW you're saying the OP in general wasn't objective enough to suit you. That's fine, you're free to write your own opinion thread on the Romo legacy.

You missed this part though: And I think that's right. Objectively, that IS the best that can be said of him.

I didn't miss it, it's a moral victory statement, ignoring his accomplishments on the field. From an economic stand point, sure. But from a professional accomplishment stand point it ignores his contributions in making a shitty team relevant. The best that can be said of him is just that: he was exceptional enough to turn a shitty team into a better team. Fans don't give a crap about a players financial well-being and it can't logically weigh the value of a players worth.

A criticism capped with the hope he doesn't get hurt still doesn't stand as a 'farewell'. Parse the word and see what you get. Prefacing well wishes while enumerating past failures doesn't ring true to the sentiment of hoping someone fares well. It's a good-riddance raspberry.

Two thumbs down to the Romo bashing.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I didn't miss it, it's a moral victory statement, ignoring his accomplishments on the field. From an economic stand point, sure. But from a professional accomplishment stand point it ignores his contributions in making a shitty team relevant. The best that can be said of him is just that: he was exceptional enough to turn a shitty team into a better team. Fans don't give a crap about a players financial well-being and it can't logically weigh the value of a players worth.

A criticism capped with the hope he doesn't get hurt still doesn't stand as a 'farewell'. Parse the word and see what you get. Prefacing well wishes while enumerating past failures doesn't ring true to the sentiment of hoping someone fares well. It's a good-riddance raspberry.

Two thumbs down to the Romo bashing.
Except, I did acknowledge the hand he was dealt, did I not? It went like this:
no matter what, by hook or by crook, his fault the refs fault Jerry's fault Garrett's fault, or the fault of the flawed system, or fault of other players, the wind, the weather, whatever - Tony Romo spent ten years as the Dallas quarterback and never got the job done. That's the indisputable bottom line.
That's not factually correct? That's not objective? Yes, it is both.

You Romosexuals just don't want to see it written or said in those terms. You want everyone to talk about all his team records - never mind that Dallas has never been a all-out throw it team and the records Romo broke really are pedestrian by today's standards.

Where's there been any bashing? The dude took nothing and made it into something. Came out of nowhere and went somewhere. That's acknowledgement, tip of the hat, and thanks for the entertainment.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You fuckers are crazy!

Romo just finished 2016 with his highest QB passer rating ever for an entire regular season (134.4)

Top Bottom