Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Same team without Dak was 4-12 last year. Same team with Dak - 13-2 with one to go.

Reaction score
Tony never won because he never had good coaching, never had a talented running back (save for 2014), and never had a defense worth a shit (save 2007). So most years it was always on his shoulders to carry the team. Had he played for a competent franchise, to include one that didn't have the starting quarterback hold for field goals, then Tony's legacy would be entirely different. For years he was all this team had. Put a lesser QB and instead of 8-8's, we would've been 3-13s.

My disdain for Tony is his blind loyalty to his buddy Jason Garrett. He put their friendship ahead of his want to win. I firmly believe had Tony pushed it, Jason would've been gone years ago. But because Tony was bff's with his incompetent coach, we're saddled with the clapping loser for god knows how long. And it'll come to pass where 2016 was a fluke and we'll be back to toiling in mediocracy before you know it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tony never won because he never had good coaching, never had a talented running back (save for 2014), and never had a defense worth a shit (save 2007). So most years it was always on his shoulders to carry the team. Had he played for a competent franchise, to include one that didn't have the starting quarterback hold for field goals, then Tony's legacy would be entirely different. For years he was all this team had. Put a lesser QB and instead of 8-8's, we would've been 3-13s.
Yep it was alllllways something. Just never Tony himself. The refs fault Jerry's fault Garrett's fault, or the fault of the flawed system, or fault of other players, the wind, the weather, whatever. Tony was perfect and just never really had a chance to succeed. Just ain't fair. The lovable loser.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Meh. Dak has a way better team around him than Tony had for all but a year or two, and one of those was 2014, which was very similar to this one.

Dak has rare leadership skills, no doubt about it. But put him on a lesser roster and he wouldn't be winning anything.

How do you figure? Tony had as good OL back then as well. Adams, Gurode, Colombo, Davis, Kosier, and a younger Free. The recieving unit was better and more experienced with Owens, Austin, Crayton, and a much younger Witten. The only drawback was the RB in Barber.

Everybody been's doubting Dak, and he continues tom prove them wrong. Your "put him on a lesser roster and he wouldn't be winning anything" is just the latest repackaged.

Hell you put any QB with a lesser roster than what they got, and they likely will not be winning. Duh.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romo was a great QB here who was hampered by terrible drafts and even worse head coaching.

It took years of Garrett incompetence to finally get a better set of assistants to mask his flaws. This is a healthy team with way more talent and better coaching than Romo ever had but for whatever reason some fans have a disturbing agenda with certain players. Some of the same idiots on this site were calling for Dez to be cut after the Giants game. The added Romo hate just reinforces the fact that some fans are too stupid to deserve a team with good players.

He could have done something about that.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
From Seattle to Seattle, the true Romo legacy.

From the moment he fumbled that snap all those years ago for the playoff game-winning field goal in Seattle, to the moment a Seattle player broke his back again in a preseason game this year, Tony Romo has been Dallas' lovable loser. Emphasis on 'loser.'

Because no matter what, by hook or by crook, his fault the refs fault Jerry's fault Garrett's fault, or the fault of the flawed system, or fault of other players, the wind, the weather, whatever - Tony Romo spent ten years as the Dallas quarterback and never got the job done. That's the indisputable bottom line.

It doesn't matter the whys or wherefores, the what-ifs and the almost was - the happy go lucky chuckling butt slapping grinning Romo, the "what me worry kid" of football, the "that's okay we'll get 'em next time" wayfarer, never got it done in Dallas.

Objectively, the best that can be said of Romo is he did extremely well for himself. Small school phenom from the heartland, had no chance to crack a NFL roster much less become a ten year starter in the league, Romo parlayed his abilities, moxie and fortunate circumstances into 100 million in earnings over the last ten years. It's really a quite remarkable accomplishment worthy of praise and respect.

But that's where my praise and respect for him ends. For the first few years I cheered him on, rooted for him, celebrated with him and hurt with him. Made excuses for him. Kept the faith. Then one day I know not when, I realized I was being played. Carrot and stick every year. Always some reason or mishap kept Tony from winning the big ones. He was always entertaining - we had a lot of fun watching him - but as the old lady said in the 70s hamburger commercials, 'where's the beef?' With Tony, it was all bread. Only ever and always, bread.

His bread got stale, and the injuries started piling up - adding yet another excuse to the long list of them. If only this, if only that. Then the 2014 campaign happened, and finally it looked to be a team that could overcome it all and finally win big. That ended and of course through no fault of Tony's, (no fault if you just conveniently forget all we needed was 2 yards on that play and he had guys open for that but he chose to throw for the end zone instead) with the infamous non-catch in Green Bay.

But the future was bright, Tony had just finished his best year ever and Boy oh Boy we can't wait until - wait for it - Next year. Yep, We'll get 'em next time.

2015's Romo-less 4-12 debacle finally got the Dallas management to at least pay some lip service to obtaining the quarterback of the future. Try as they might they couldn't trade up to get one of the coveted quarterbacks of the 2016 draft, and finally had to settle in the 4th round for that kid out of Mississippi State, who already had a DWI under his belt - Dak Prescott.

I watched as Dak wowed 'em in preseason, all the while saying to myself, 'yeah but that's just preseason' - and anxiously awaited Tony Romo's debut in that Seattle preseason game. They'd been saying he was healthier than ever. They'd been saying he was stronger than ever, better than ever. He's totally healed, they'd said. He'd looked good in practice, from what video I saw of him.

And then snap, broken back. And in that moment, I was officially done. In truth I said right there I don't want to see him playing for Dallas ever again. We've seen enough. It was fun, it was entertaining, but now it's life threatening. We need to move on even if it means 1-15 or worse. It's simply got to end, like all other good things.

Enter Dak Prescott and ten wins in a row. And now a 13-2 record heading into the final regular season meaningless game vs. Philadelphia. And now it's officially over for Tony. The old war horse has either retirement or another pasture to graze on, maybe another herd to lead. But he's done here.

Let us not mourn, let us celebrate. First let's celebrate that we didn't have to see him crippled or suffer any other permanent mobility-robbing injury. Celebrate that it's a new day in Dallas and the team looks to be in good young hands. And celebrate that Tony walks away with around 100 million of Jerry's money - every penny deserved, every penny well earned. And leave it at that.

Let's not feel sorry for him - our pity is only self-serving anyway. It doesn't help Tony at all and in fact he neither needs or wants our help. Let's not be saying infantile stuff like, "I feel bad for Tony he didn't get his ring," or, "I hope he gets his ring on some other team." No. That's just so you'll feel better. So you'll feel justified in your worship of him. So all the excuses made, get validated. He'll get 'em next year, right? Like always.

Instead let's tip our hats to Tony and thank him for the fun and entertainment he gave us. But above all, let's feel very happy to see him actually walking. Happy to hear about him able to play with his kids. Let's be glad to know he didn't lose his mobility in pursuit of "his ring" that was never actually, his.

And let's hope he doesn't get hurt Sunday. Let's hope this idiocy of him playing in a meaningless game just for what, rah-rahs for Jerry? Let's hope it doesn't cost us his backup services in the playoffs, or worse - let's hope it doesn't cost him his health and mobility.

Let's just play him in a game that has no meaning. It's worth the risk. They are literally gambling with the most expensive player on the team. Great thinking coach

e504871698f9f1a543d69087df40fba6.png

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Let's just play him in a game that has no meaning. It's worth the risk. They are literally gambling with the most expensive player on the team. Great thinking coach
It kills me that they're even considering it. Not the least of which reason, we might NEED him in a playoff game or SB and if he gets broken by the Iggles, we trot out Sanchez instead if Tony's hurt. To me nothing justifies that risk.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree

There is zero upside or reason to play him

We are going into the playoffs with the best back up in the league. And we are going to risk him when we know he is injury prone? Not only that it's against a team that has broke him before

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How do you figure? Tony had as good OL back then as well. Adams, Gurode, Colombo, Davis, Kosier, and a younger Free. The recieving unit was better and more experienced with Owens, Austin, Crayton, and a much younger Witten. The only drawback was the RB in Barber.

Everybody been's doubting Dak, and he continues tom prove them wrong. Your "put him on a lesser roster and he wouldn't be winning anything" is just the latest repackaged.

Hell you put any QB with a lesser roster than what they got, and they likely will not be winning. Duh.

Oh come on Laz. The ol in those years was pretty good but it wasn't even close to this one. And you're actually citing Crayton and Miles Austin as big receiving assets? Lol.

This isn't about discrediting Dak either. It's about people discrediting Romo. Hasn't the guy won like 70% of his games? That's in no way a "loser", lovable or otherwise.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
This kind of reeks as though the Cowboys have already won the Super Bowl. A premature raspberry to the Romo era.

I'm as impressed as any with this season and the rookies, but this also reeks of something else: 2007 and 2014.
Nothing greater than Romo's accomplishments have been achieved yet and yes, his circumstances of goof-ball Jerry and his Ginger Wonder Kid do matter as to the results that are tacked onto Romo. Only without him, they would have been far, far worse and we would have seen an ever bigger drought of worthwhile football coming out of Texas. He single-handedly raised the teams game.

Stick Romo on a better team and he would have rings. Put Jerry, Ginger in charge of any other franchise and you'd see the same results: all bread and no beef. Thumbs down to the Romo bashing.

Reaction score
Say what you will, but there was one main reason for not winning a ring here. That reason is that Romo is a choke artist. I know that's harsh to say, I know the Zone would ban me for stating it, but it's the truth. From the North Dallas 40 "life imitates art" fumbled snap on the chip shot FG to the 500 yard 5 TD choke job to Denver, the pattern never wavered. Yes, the 500 yard, 5 TD game was a choke job because when it mattered most, Romo blew the game with a blatant interception in Cowboys territory that set up the easy, walk off win for Denver. Just like the 3 straight win and in, or go home games where Romo laid eggs. Just like the one and done following a 13-3 season, Romo, and the teams he lead always choked. That is why Romo has never seen an NFC title game as anything other than a spectator.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Just like the 3 straight win and in, or go home games where Romo laid eggs.

He only played in two of those games. It just seems like he played in all 3 because in the other one Orton "did a Romo" by playing brilliantly, before fucking it up right at the end with the interception.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm not a Romo hater by the way. Great to watch when he's on it. I just never truly believed he was consistent enough to win 3 straight games in the playoffs. Sure, a little extra help with a better team around him would have helped. But he's played on a couple of teams that could have at the least got to a conference championship game.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Highest 4th quarter QB rating...yep, what a loser.

This isn't a Dak OR Tony conversation either even though some are trying to make it one.

This forum is a collection of some of the harshest Cowboys fans slash critics anywhere and I would say every single person here says that Dak is both the present and the future. The critique from of a few of us is the blatant disrespect for Romo. Dude kept us from being the Cleveland Browns the last decade or so.

Also, it's looking more and more like Sheik sold this forum to a Hostile alias. Anyone else notice the very Hostile -like sayings and phrases that our illustrious leader has dropped lately?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This forum is a collection of some of the harshest Cowboys fans slash critics anywhere and I would say every single person here says that Dak is both the present and the future. The critique from of a few of us is the blatant disrespect for Romo. Dude kept us from being the Cleveland Browns the last decade or so.

Exactly. The disrespect of the man that made Jerry billions and Garrett millions is fucking stupid. Many, if not most, Cowboys fans are stupid. Romo has single handedly kept guys like Wade Phillips, Garrett, Wade Wilson, etc. employed for years. These same idiot fans booed Aikman at the tail end of his career so none of this disrespect is shocking.

And this argument that Romo is a loser, washed up or whatever is even more stupid when these same idiots don't want Romo to play because he may get hurt and won't be available for the playoffs. They're too fucking stupid to see the contradiction. They're just hedging their bets because, well, their stupid.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He only played in two of those games. It just seems like he played in all 3 because in the other one Orton "did a Romo" by playing brilliantly, before fucking it up right at the end with the interception.

My memory is shot after last night and I'm too lazy to look it up but I wouldn't call Orton's performance "brilliant" by any stretch.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And this argument that Romo is a loser, washed up or whatever is even more stupid when these same idiots don't want Romo to play because he may get hurt and won't be available for the playoffs. They're too fucking stupid to see the contradiction. They're just hedging their bets because, well, their stupid.
Maybe you're too stupid or obtuse to see the actual argument, which you have mis-stated. The argument is, Romo should not see the field today vs. Philadelphia in a MEANINGLESS GAME because of injury risk. No matter how stove up, washed up and loserly Romo is, when healthy he is still a better choice than Sanchez in a backup role for a playoff game.
Also, it's looking more and more like Sheik sold this forum to a Hostile alias. Anyone else notice the very Hostile -like sayings and phrases that our illustrious leader has dropped lately?
Seems like you cannot successfully argue the points, so you're trying to discredit the OP. If that person really did buy this place, from everything I've heard about him he likely bans about 75 percent of this membership by now.
The disrespect of the man
the blatant disrespect for Romo
Waaaaaaa poor Romo. A multi-millionaire being disrespected? A dude who became a multi-millionaire from playing a GAME being disrespected? Seems like people can't read, I made it quite clear I admire and respect him for what he's been able to accomplish.
I'm as impressed as any with this season and the rookies, but this also reeks of something else: 2007 and 2014
I might be the only person posting here who has said we're a one and done playoff team this year. Been saying that for weeks. Might have to modify that depending on who our first opponent is, but pretty sure we shit the bed come playoff time. I have no illusions of Lombardis.

Top Bottom