Reaction score
I don't want this to come as a shock to anyone, but folks have lied to me before in the months leading up to the NFL draft. And there's a chance it could happen again this afternoon when I call a few scouts around the league to ask about Wednesday's USC pro day.

The Trojans always have one of the latest pro days, in part, because it's a lavish affair that pretty much stands alone. I'm sure Lane Kiffin will continue that tradition despite his team being on probation and being banned from making extended eye contact with Reggie Bush. From my experience, the University of Texas and USC put on the best shows this time of year, although Art Briles at Baylor is making up ground quickly.

And even though USC doesn't have as much star appeal as usual, the Dallas Cowboys' head coach arrived on campus Wednesday. He was one of only two head coaches (Oakland's Hue Jackson the other) to attend the session and it's his first pro day appearance of the offseason.

About three weeks ago, I started my annual routine of trying to collect three names who would be virtual "locks" for that No. 9 pick. (If you listen to 103.3 ESPN, you might be familiar with the legendary "Dr. Draft.")

My longtime friend and former colleague Rick "Goose" Gosselin from the Dallas Morning News likes to walk a tightrope by only selecting one player at No. 9, but I prefer having a little wiggle room. As I looked at a lot of mock drafts a few weeks ago, I noticed USC offensive tackle Tyron Smith showing up anywhere from Nos. 13-25. I asked a high-ranking Cowboys source who occasionally pokes fun at my radio work whether Smith was worthy of being one of my three "locks."

"Absolutely," he said with a little too much enthusiasm for my taste. But after making a few more calls around the league, I'm now convinced his enthusiasm was somewhat genuine. Garrett and offensive line coach/running game coordinator Hudson Houck wouldn't make the trip to Los Angeles if there wasn't some interest in Smith. They could've sent some of their scouts and waited for Smith to arrive in Dallas for his official visit next week.

Smith, who has gained 25 pounds since the end of the college season, put on a show Wednesday. He reportedly ran a 4.92 40-yard dash and had a 30-inch vertical leap. Of course, the Cowboys don't currently have any plays requiring Smith to leap that high, but it is a sign of his athleticism.

About the only question mark on Smith is that he's only 20, and some scouts wonder how difficult it will be for a relatively inexperienced player to quickly learn new concepts. But it's not like there are any red flags from a productivity or measurables standpoint. Last week, I asked a high-level executive from the AFC to assess Smith at this point. And he didn't hold anything back.

"He had a very high ceiling," said the executive. "He has the prototypical measurables and when you turn on the tape [of his college games], the measurables match up with his productivity. He can pull, pass protect and get to the second level in a hurry. He needs to improve his core power and gain a little more strength. But his arrow's pointed way up. He could go up to 318 pounds and you wouldn't even know it."

I've noticed some local reports suggesting that Smith's weight gain might be an issue, but the scouts I've talked to actually like the way he's adding pounds. His body has more room to mature, according to men who study that sort of thing.

"His pro day is critical," said the executive. "You need to have conviction about him after that. I don't have that conviction yet, but I'm getting there."

It's obvious the Cowboys are doing their due diligence on Smith. I understand that some Cowboys fans look at the defensive end situation as a bigger need in this draft, but it's hard to argue with an elite offensive tackle. I believe that Smith would start immediately at right tackle and that he'd eventually move to the left side.

There are plenty of smoke screens leading up to the draft, but right now it seems like the Cowboys have a genuine interest in Smith. The only issue might be that he's moving up the board a little too quickly. And it's likely one of those first eight teams in the draft might be able to use an elite offensive tackle.

Reaction score
He better be showing something on film that warrants a 9th round pick or LT skills ... RTs don't go in the Top 15.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Who wrote this? Sounds like Matt Mosely, and if so, we should kind of mark this down a little bit, because he's pretty on point the closer it gets to the draft.

sbk92

Reaction score
He better be showing something on film that warrants a 9th round pick or LT skills ... RTs don't go in the Top 15.

It would be an epic steal of all steals if the Cowboys could land Smith in the 9th round.

You're right. They don't.

But I never understood why. You see WRs and CBs go there routinely.

Now it's gameday. We're lining up on offense 1st and 10. How important is that entire offensive line? Certainly worth any pick in the draft.

Now I'm not going to take a C or G in the top 10. Nobody else would, so the value isn't there. But RTs usually start figuring into the mix at 20. Taking one at 9 who has a clear consensus LT projection in the future isn't much of a stretch for me.

To put it short and sweet, even if Smith is just a really good RT for the next ten years, I won't be cursing the pick.

sbk92

Reaction score
I should add I've yet to read anyone who thinks of Smith as a RT. Nobody's even hinted that he may end up playing there in the NFL.

Reaction score
I should add I've yet to read anyone who thinks of Smith as a RT. Nobody's even hinted that he may end up playing there in the NFL.

That's where he's played most of his collegian career and I value NFL Net's Mike Lombardi's opinion.

He could be wrong but he thinks that RT will be his position in the NFL.

Reaction score
There are 22 starting positions on a football team. If you can get a 10+ year starter at one of those positions, I don't care if you use the first overall.

I think Tryon Smith can be a 10+ year starter for us, so RT or LT, I have no objection to taking him at 9.

Reaction score
There are 22 starting positions on a football team. If you can get a 10+ year starter at one of those positions, I don't care if you use the first overall.

I think Tryon Smith can be a 10+ year starter for us, so RT or LT, I have no objection to taking him at 9.

RT would and could be his fallback position but I'd hope that he is better than Free if we are using a #9 pick.

Reaction score
JasonLaCanfora USC T Tyron Smith set to begin his visits Mon in Dallas, then on to MINN, CLE, DET, TB, WASH and ATL. Full story upcoming on NFL.com

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
JasonLaCanfora USC T Tyron Smith set to begin his visits Mon in Dallas, then on to MINN, CLE, DET, TB, WASH and ATL. Full story upcoming on NFL.com

He should look at houses while he's in Dallas.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
With Tyron's athleticism and movement skills, I can't see why Tyron could only project to RT. Regardless if that was his college position.

The fact that he brings the strength to play RT at the LT position is a bonus.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He does.

And just because he might start out initially at RT, doesnt mean he'll stay there forever.

And if they ever did a redraft in 1991, Erik Williams would go in the top 15, easily. Pre-injury, he'd go in any drafts top-15.

I dont know where people get this idea that because a guy might be a RT, he isnt worthy of a high draft pick. If the guy is a pro bowl calibar talent at either T spot, he's worthy of an early pick. There's too much of a premium on pass protection (go back and view the showing of our OL vs Minny in January 2010 if you dont agree).

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Bucky Brooks of NFL Network. But Charlie Casserly stated that Tyron Smith is better prospect than Jason Smith and thinks there should be serious discussion if he is better than Trent Williams who came out last year.

I'd say I add this to another player that I do not want the Redskins to get.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's where he's played most of his collegian career and I value NFL Net's Mike Lombardi's opinion.

He could be wrong but he thinks that RT will be his position in the NFL.

No he doesn't. He said that Smith would be an LT. Bucky Brooks said that Smith would be an RT.

Top Bottom