Reaction score
April 27, 2012

It surely is never dull around here. It happens nearly every spring. The Dallas Cowboys have targeted and acquired the apple of their eyes by a move that is somewhere between courageous and reckless when they grabbed the best defensive player in the draft in a trade that cost them picks #14 and #45 to ascend to #6 and pick LSU corner Morris Claiborne.

Claiborne is an exceptional talent; a dazzling combination of tools and big play performances that had every team in the NFL placing him high on their respective boards. He has the upside that projects to a true #1 cornerback who can lock down his man and a large part of his side of the field. When he gets the ball in his hands -- which happens pretty often considering he is a defensive player -- he is often on his way to a giant, game-changing play that results in points. And, it appears the Cowboys were able to get him from St Louis for below market value. The trade up to #6 would normally have cost a team at #14 their 2nd and 4th rounder as well, but the Rams were motivated sellers, who just wanted to get out of a position that high so that they could pick up an additional Top 50 pick.

And why would that be? Because the Rams realized they had more holes than they could plug with Claiborne and the rest of their haul. They knew they were not one player away.

Kind of makes you wonder why the franchise on the other end of the phone didn't feel the same way about their situation.

I want to be clear here when analyzing the move. The player is phenomenal, and despite having some flaws, he seems to have all of the talent to be a All-Pro caliber performer for a long time. There is no question that he should be one of the Cowboys' Top 10 players on their roster already, with a chance to be much higher very soon.

I am not here to suggest I didn't see some things on his LSU tape that bother me; he doesn't tackle nearly as well as I had hoped in space, for instance. But, overall, he is easily the most complete corner in this draft and has a rare combination of size and speed that is just unfair. I would say the Cowboys have addressed their corner position as well as any team possibly could. It is not crazy to wonder, with the trade last night and the signing of Brandon Carr, if the Cowboys now have the best cornerback group in football.

BUT...

I really don't know that this was a smart play from the Cowboys. In fact, if I had to give an analogy on my feelings, it might be to compare it to that time in your life when you are just out of college. You are trying to make it in the real world with a real job, your own place to live, and maybe even starting a family. Your college buddies are now in a similar spot, also just getting rolling in the real world and still not a whole lot of money in the bank. The "paper plates and lawn chairs" lifestyle is still in play, and then one of your buddies rolls up with a brand-new black Mercedes Benz. This despite the fact that he is still living in an apartment where he cannot comfortably pay his bills.

Now, there is nothing wrong with his car. In fact, it is the nicest car that anyone has in your circle of friends. It is a phenomenal car that will turn heads and dazzle dates. But, as he takes you in a spin in this awesome new vehicle, all you can think about is that there is no way he can afford this when his student loan is due, his credit cards are stacking up, and he has no money to retrieve from his ATM machine. It is a great car, but is it a great decision for the buyer?

The Cowboys were 8-8 last season. When they entered week 17 with a chance to win their division with a win, they were destroyed and blown out of the stadium by the eventual champion, New York Giants. You could easily watch the game and the utter domination of the Giants front against the Cowboys OL and say that this matchup was not close. Or, like Jerry Jones, you could spend the next month watching the Giants win playoff game after playoff game against quality opposition and tell yourself that this could have been the Dallas Cowboys. You might say that the Cowboys cratered in December again and finished the year 1-4, but he might say that if Austin Miles catches a pass where he is wide open against the Giants in Week 14, the Cowboys win the NFC East and the Giants don't even go to the playoffs.

And neither of you would be completely wrong.

After the week 17 demolition in New York, I spent 2,000 words summarizing what I perceived to be the state of affairs with this franchise. Here was a small portion of what I thought then and still think today:

This team fails in December for one primary and simple reason: The roster doesn't contain the quality personnel that is required to sustain the assaults of a 16-game campaign in the NFL.

Think about it: When does the team fail? December. In a 4-month season, which month would best reveal your depth and quality down the roster that can compensate for fatigue and injuries? December. The truth is that the Cowboys have enough talent on the top of their roster to compete with some of the best teams in the league. Romo, Ware, Witten, Austin, Ratliff are a very solid "Top 5". Bryant, Lee, Murray, Smith, and Jenkins are a reasonable 6-10 on a roster. But, then the drop-off begins on the roster. And if the season was just 8-10 games long, they would likely be able to hang in there. Any Cowboys historian will confirm that the team certainly gets to Thanksgiving in great shape nearly every season. So, what changes? Is it really that turning the calendar to the month of December is what makes a magical spell fall over Romo and the team where they can no longer compete?

Good teams in the NFL have quality from 1-10, but also from 11-53, too. When fatigue strikes Jay Ratliff, they have a player behind him who can bridge the gap. If Ware is being double-teamed, someone else can rise up. When the line is under siege, a solid veteran can do a reasonable job and protect his QB. The good teams have enough quality on their roster that they can construct a solid team effort for the regular season. Sure, they count on their stars to perform, but beyond that, there are starters and reserves that never find a magazine cover that do their job admirably.​

And here is why this trade for Claiborne gives me great pause. This franchise that lacks any quality depth down its roster -- so much so that I can still list for you at least five starters who should not be starting -- just traded two more picks away to address a spot that might have been ok for the time being. Did they upgrade? Yes. But, in doing so, like the 24 year old who bought his $75,000 car, we might not be able to pay all of the bills that are due at the end of the month.

Now, with picks further down the draft where the Cowboys have had a real issue in finding quality players, the team must figure out how to upgrade their defensive line, offensive line, and fill real needs at safety, wide receiver, and tight end. But, because of past mistakes, they do not have enough picks left or cap room available to fix these spots. And what happens when you run out of resources? Then you start Phil Costa at center, Bill Nagy at guard, re-sign Marcus Spears, grab Kenyon Coleman, and do the best you can (which puts you at 8-8 all over again).

An emailer last night was bemoaning the trade, talking about this treadmill that the personnel department cannot get off of. They trade for Morris Claiborne in 2012 to replace a disappointing Mike Jenkins from 2008. They draft DeMarco Murray (2011) because Felix Jones (2008) was not what you hoped. They grab Dez Bryant (2010) because the Roy Williams trade (2008) was a disaster. They target Sean Lee (2010) because Bobby Carpenter (2006) was nowhere near the player they thought. And on and on. They draft a player to cover up a prior mistake. And when that happens, you never can make progress and improve. You are running just to stand still.

I happen to think getting the #6 pick for #14 and #45 is a shrewd decision. Claiborne fits a premium player at a premium position in a huge way. It is the type of move a team would pull off when they are "1 special player away". But, if you needed #14 and #45 to both start 16 games this year for you at key spots on the field, then perhaps you couldn't afford to buy that corner (or Mercedes) that you always wanted. Claiborne will be a tremendous player for years to come, but the roster is still razor thin at many spots. He will not help you block the Giants pass rush, and come the cold winds of December and the attrition that hits this team after Thanksgiving, we might see that like the Rams, Dallas should have been thinking about a "strength in numbers" philosophy to fill their many holes.

The Cowboys consistently have starters on the field that would be reserves elsewhere. They have reserves who are often cut and never find another NFL job. They consistently neglect the bottom half of their roster, partly because they throw picks around to move up and get players. Just charge this Dez trade to the company credit card. The team moved up to get Anthony Spencer, Mike Jenkins, Dez Bryant, and Sean Lee. In doing so, they paid the price with picks who could and should be depth and developmental players who are ready to start. Instead, they find themselves starting undrafted free agents who have no business being on the field at this stage of their career. It sounds like the equivalent of having a sweet Benz parked outside an 800-foot apartment.

But, asking Jerry to change his ways and his philosophy is asking a tiger to change from stripes to spots. He has always believed in the big splash and the top players on the field. The other spots will figure themselves out as we go. Or they won't. And we will repeat this process again and again.

I love the player, Morris Claiborne. I am just not sure that this move pushes the team any closer to the Super Bowl.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's a similar situation to Revis. Jets traded way up to get him, paid a steeper price than we did. You get a player like that in the secondary and he changes the way you can play defense. It's not just a 1 player situation.

IMO our plan is obvious to anyone who is paying attention. We wanted corners who can handle their business so we can bring pressure all day long and minimize the amount of times we pay for it. Suddenly Sean Lee has 5 sacks. The pessimist who wanted the team to go in another direction sees this as a move at expense of other moves. But we lost one freaking pick. To get a guy who has the ability to change the way we're able to play D.

Reaction score
I don’t get Sturms analogy. The goals of the collage student and an NFL team are vastly different. If Sturm is saying the students best move is to buy a hoopty, than that would be comparable to the Cowboys getting a player that just fills a spot which i don’t think would improve an already average team. Now if the kids goal is to get laid, that $75,000 car can help that situation. Cowboys are trying to win a Super Bowl.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just wonder if he can come in right away and play at a high level? Do rookie cornerbacks normally do that?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Close. We lost a high pick and possibly Jenkins to boot, so unless Claiborne is twice the player Jenkins is (doubtful), you're merely running in quicksand.

Reaction score
Sturm is assuming we'd hit on those picks if we traded down or stayed put. That's asking A LOT from this front office.

If we had Jeff Fisher, Belichick, or a legit GM then I'm all for addressing multiple weaknesses.

Jerry is incapable of such feats. He's proven that from Shante Carver all the way to his special teams draft.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
When you put it that way....damn
Close. We lost a high pick and possibly Jenkins to boot, so unless Claiborne is twice the player Jenkins is (doubtful), you're merely running in quicksand.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
well I dont feel like it right now, but as usual with bob there are a ton of inaccuracies in this blog post.

I do think there is legit concern on the lines however and agree there completely.

the difference is I dont think this team is in the conversation for a superbowl. I think this just a team trying to add better players and we got a great one. Sacrificed the two for sure.

I would also like to add that I dont think jenkins is going to get traded. I have said it all offseason jenkins is a good corner when healthy but will not bring back equal compensation in a trade. Just think back to what ray horton said about him last year.

I want all 4 of those guys on the team.

also, I think there is going to be great comraderie in the secondary. Scandrick is a high energy high emotion player, I believe carr is that way also. We now have a new Secondary coach with three new players in the secondary. This is going to be a better fit than campo for ryan. I am not a fan of ryan, but this scenario with these three guys and the new coach can not be understated.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
When you put it that way....damn

its not accurate though, claiborne is a much better prospect than jenkins and proved himself among the best competition in the country everyweek. Plus he is a top level return guy and a high character self motivated player. Jenkins was like bennett as a guy you had to stay on.

now he may not work out any better than jenkins but right now he is a much better prospect and its crazy to think he is not.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sturm is assuming we'd hit on those picks if we traded down or stayed put. That's asking A LOT from this front office.

If we had Jeff Fisher, Belichick, or a legit GM then I'm all for addressing multiple weaknesses.

Jerry is incapable of such feats. He's proven that from Shante Carver all the way to his special teams draft.

Last year Bob spent a month on the radio, blog and other assorted appearances running around telling everyone Jerry Jones was going broke. He had an "insider" work out what jerry's mortgage was on the new stadium and claimed it to be around 3 million a month.

by the time free agency started bob had norm and tons of others proclaiming jerry to be broke. And they were serious. After namdi didnt want to come here these guys went crazy with this. Jerry was without cash was something he said nearly everyday and because he spent all his money on the stadium, he had no money left for the team.

It was foolish and as soon as jerry started spending money again this whole notion was dropped never to be heard from again or explained or justified.

bob has a way of doing this on many topics.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines that with Jenkins, Carr, and Scandrick assuming Jenkins injury was healed we were ok in the secondary and that claibore although much better than Jenkns. The pick was not a neccessity
its not accurate though, claiborne is a much better prospect than jenkins and proved himself among the best competition in the country everyweek. Plus he is a top level return guy and a high character self motivated player. Jenkins was like bennett as a guy you had to stay on.

now he may not work out any better than jenkins but right now he is a much better prospect and its crazy to think he is not.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines that with Jenkins, Carr, and Scandrick assuming Jenkins injury was healed we were ok in the secondary and that claibore although much better than Jenkns. The pick was not a neccessity

pierre paul was not a neccessity for the giants, the packers drafted a bunch of wr high.

Its about adding talent and sometimes you cant deny a great talent even if you have players there already.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

I don't see it. He's a prospect, not a proven commodity. For most teams with their act together, Carr + Jenkins would be more than sufficient to win a title. Now we have Carr + Claiborne but the same old problems in other areas of the team. In that sense, drafting Claiborne is like putting brand new tires on a rusted out Chevy that won't run. In other words, a waste. Nor do I see them jeopardizing him as a returner.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Giants did not sacrifice a 2nd round pick to trade up for Paul
pierre paul was not a neccessity for the giants, the packers drafted a bunch of wr high.

Its about adding talent and sometimes you cant deny a great talent even if you have players there already.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't see it. He's a prospect, not a proven commodity. For most teams with their act together, Carr + Jenkins would be more than sufficient to win a title. Now we have Carr + Claiborne but the same old problems in other areas of the team. In that sense, drafting Claiborne is like putting brand new tires on a rusted out Chevy that won't run. In other words, a waste. Nor do I see them jeopardizing him as a returner.

I understand that and it makes sense, but claiborne is not a worry. he is going to be a player.

I really think it boils down to the past two seasons have in part been derailed by the secondary. Rob Ryan wants his corners to do something specific. now he has two of them to do just that, plus his secondary coach he wants and has done this with before.

Henderson had the browns secondary playing really well and he had haden playing at top level very quickly.

again, me personally I dont see us as a super bowl contender yet. And that means that jenkins wont be here for when that run hopefully is ready to be made starting next year.

david moore said last night before we even picked claiborne that rosenhaus went to jerry as soon as they signed carr and wanted a similar deal.

So the options are

Resign jenkins and hope he stays healthy and have 100 million in two corners, plus scandrics 20.

Let jenkins walk and in 2013 have the same problem again and go into free agency for another corner.

Or draft a stud for 4 years for 16 million and get one more year out of jenkins and have 4 good corners.

in two years when jenkins is gone, claiborne will have a year under his belt.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Giants did not sacrifice a 2nd round pick to trade up for Paul

no doubt that is a huge risk. But paul was a boom or bust at a position they were loaded at in the first round.

I dont think claiborne is risky at all and I imagine by the time the season starts and we have 4 solid corners to match up with ny, philly, washington, the saints etc....no one will remember 45.

now if something happens and he is poor, yea pour it on..

Reaction score

I think the Dez Bryant pick was similar. WR wasn’t a necessity at the time although years later it’s a position of need. Jenkins probably has something wrong with him. Maybe they are concerned about his health or something else. If that is the case, getting his replacement is of great importance. You got him a year sooner...big deal. When it comes to the cornerback position, you can’t have enough good ones. What games have you guys been watching? Worst secondary in the history of the Cowboys, good god!

Reaction score
I think superpunk makes a great point.

This wasn't a trade up for a good CB. We didn't trade up for Kirkpatrick or Gilmore.

We traded up for the clear cut best corner in this draft. Claiborn is a stud. A physical corner who excells in coverage.

Like sp says, having him allows us to change the entire way we play defense. It's going to free more people up.

I can't not like this trade.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think superpunk makes a great point.

This wasn't a trade up for a good CB. We didn't trade up for Kirkpatrick or Gilmore.

We traded up for the clear cut best corner in this draft. Claiborn is a stud. A physical corner who excells in coverage.

Like sp says, having him allows us to change the entire way we play defense. It's going to free more people up.

I can't not like this trade.

plus ryan and henderson have a recent history of making corners drafted high into good players.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
You are dismissing the fact that we gave up a second round pick to get claibourne. And for a team that is not a super bowl contender as you say. We need as many high round picks as possible.

Again. I'm not against getting Claiboure, but I'm not sure it was the best decision for our team moving forward unless we can somehow jump back into the second round and get a Cordy Glenn or Konz

Top Bottom