Reaction score
The point is the the hype continues to exist all over the country (and world to an extent) even after a ridiculously disappointing season.

If all these fans are herding together just to watch training camp thousands of miles away from Dallas for a 3rd place division finisher, then you know the situation for actual games is even better.

It's the most valuable franchise in the league and it's a brand now. Jerry has his cheerleader reality show, his stadium tours, merchandising, and all of this other shit that actually has little to do with the team's success.

Now he can bring in marquee boxing, NCAA games, and tons of other money-hoarding events regardless of how the Cowboys do. Hell, the NFL season is only 8 weeks long for him. That's a meager 15% of the entire year. This is definitely a business. He says what he needs in order to get gullible idiots (see: CZ) to bask in his sunshine pumping and then takes their money straight to the bank.

Would you buy a ferrari that only works 50% of the time? I would hope not, but people still line up for hours just to catch a glimpse of an 8-8 team. Jerry has it all figured out.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Did we invite any centers in for a visit during free agency? It would have been nice to work out a collection of them to see where they were for just in case emergencies like we have now. As opposed to relying on unproven, low pedigree players. One of whom had a few starts at the position in college.

It's like the FO just evaluated the new makeup of the line under only the perfect circumstances, such as that everyone would "get" the scheme, cohese, and that they would be relatively injury free at the position. I'm sure somewhere during that process a beaming dbair-type underling said, "but we have Callahan and Woicik! *brownie points*". I can't believe no precautions whatsoever seems to have been taken.

As well, I can't believe that the best backup plan for center was, "well, Mackenzy Bernadeau played some snaps there in Carolina, we'll just move him on over".

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The point is the the hype continues to exist all over the country (and world to an extent) even after a ridiculously disappointing season.

If all these fans are herding together just to watch training camp thousands of miles away from Dallas for a 3rd place division finisher, then you know the situation for actual games is even better.

It's the most valuable franchise in the league and it's a brand now. Jerry has his cheerleader reality show, his stadium tours, merchandising, and all of this other shit that actually has little to do with the team's success.

Now he can bring in marquee boxing, NCAA games, and tons of other money-hoarding events regardless of how the Cowboys do. Hell, the NFL season is only 8 weeks long for him. That's a meager 15% of the entire year. This is definitely a business. He says what he needs in order to get gullible idiots (see: CZ) to bask in his sunshine pumping and then takes their money straight to the bank.

Would you buy a ferrari that only works 50% of the time? I would hope not, but people still line up for hours just to catch a glimpse of an 8-8 team. Jerry has it all figured out.

Jerry is the best salesman in the nfl.

Even though it's a detriment to my fav hobby/sports team/passion - I still respect the heck out of him for it. Being that good of a salesman is super impressive

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Are you trying to tell me that fans get excited for their team at the outset of every season?

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Wouldnt it make better business sense to win a Super Bowl or at least field a playoff caliber team

Reaction score
Wouldnt it make better business sense to win a Super Bowl or at least field a playoff caliber team

I think it would in a small market.

Just look at the Redskins. They're top 5 in value. They have a wait list for season tickets and some of the costliest individual seat pricing in the league. Their fans are constantly shat on by the organization, and yet they still come back each week and sell that stadium out.

All of that while being one of the shittiest teams in the entire league. The lucrative shitty franchises will remain so long as the NFL popularity bubble does not burst.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score

If it was that easy...everyone would just go and win the super bowl..its not

So why risk spending much more money when you're probably not going to win the super bowl anyways?

There are plenty of competitive teams who still don't sell tickets. Also plenty of absolutely shitty teams who sell out..business in the nfl is good

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it would in a small market.

Just look at the Redskins. They're top 5 in value. They have a wait list for season tickets and some of the costliest individual seat pricing in the league. Their fans are constantly shat on by the organization, and yet they still come back each week and sell that stadium out.

All of that while being one of the shittiest teams in the entire league. The lucrative shitty franchises will remain so long as the NFL popularity bubble does not burst.

For a long time they were the only game in town from Maryland to Atlanta. That's pretty much when they gained popularity. MD-DC-VA and the Carolinas isn't exactly a small market.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Good NFL owners are competitive and care about winning. They made their fortunes elsewhere. I don't mind the wanting to make money, that's fine, just stop making it a priority over winning actual games.

Good owners realize that winning sells more gear than losing.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If it was that easy...everyone would just go and win the super bowl..its not

So why risk spending much more money when you're probably not going to win the super bowl anyways?

There are plenty of competitive teams who still don't sell tickets. Also plenty of absolutely shitty teams who sell out..business in the nfl is good

This risk isn't a problem for the team.

The real risk is assuming they know they ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to actually building the team.

They spend shit tons of money, only to spend more the following year.

Jerry isn't afraid of spending to try and win, he's afraid of letting someone else get the credit.

Reaction score
For a long time they were the only game in town from Maryland to Atlanta. That's pretty much when they gained popularity. MD-DC-VA and the Carolinas isn't exactly a small market.

I wasn't claiming that they're small market.

They're a large market team that will be lucrative no matter how shitty they are bc the demand is just so great.

Winning would drastically help a team like Jacksonville vs teams like Dallas or Washington.

Although, the NFL is just so popular right now that billionaires are lining up to buy teams like the Browns, so I am not sure that winning matters much to any of these guys. When a diehard, lifelong Steelers fan is buying a rival team, you know it's for financial profits, and not for turning the franchise around. It's not like he was disgruntled by the shittiness of the team and wanted to buy in and make changes...

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This risk isn't a problem for the team.

The real risk is assuming they know they ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to actually building the team.

They spend shit tons of money, only to spend more the following year.

Jerry isn't afraid of spending to try and win, he's afraid of letting someone else get the credit.

That's Jerry. Other owners prefer not to spend.

Top Bottom