Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here is the original report

Tony Romo has not yet made the decision to undergo surgery this offseason.

The Dallas Cowboys quarterback had a CT scan last week to determine if his previously injured shoulder was strong enough to operate on. Romo is considering adding a plate to his collarbone to strengthen the area after fracturing his clavicle twice in the 2015 season.

According to ESPN's Todd Archer, the Cowboys and Romo will re-evaluate the collarbone in four weeks before making a final decision on whether or not to undergo surgery. Romo's CT scan from last week also showed good growth in the area, but the quarterback will still wait until next month for a decision.

More from Archer:

According to the sources, it is possible Romo could pass on having a plate inserted to reinforce the collarbone and have what is called a Mumford procedure in which the distal portion of the clavicle is shaved down. The recovery time would still be 6-8 weeks and have Romo back on the field for the organized team activities in May.

Related: Greg Hardy sends love to Dez Bryant, appreciates Tony Romo

Romo said last week that he'll be "ready to rock" for OTAs. Romo missed 10 games in 2015 after the two injuries. The 35-year old quarterback expects to play for four more years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I hope Jerry does his best to influence Romo's decision to have the surgery

If I were Jerry I would want to minimize the chance of it breaking again in any way possible

Cowboysrock55

Spectator
Reaction score
The draft maybe? As has already been suggested.

The draft is more then 4 weeks away.

And like I said, it's not impossible to break something in there again, it's just highly unlikely. In the freak occurrence he does break it again it shouldn't be a problem dealing with screws and plates. Doctors deal with those things all the time. They add and remove them at will.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
In the freak occurrence he does break it again it shouldn't be a problem dealing with screws and plates. Doctors deal with those things all the time. They add and remove them at will.
You didn't understand what I posted. This bracing doesn't help anywhere the brace is not. The clavicle will merely break where it is weakest. And a break on this braced clavicle is a much more complex thing than a break without it.

If the screws are ripped out of shattered bone, what are they going to do, shit him a new clavicle?

Cowboysrock55

Spectator
Reaction score
You didn't understand what I posted. This bracing doesn't help anywhere the brace is not. The clavicle will merely break where it is weakest. And a break on this braced clavicle is a much more complex thing than a break without it.

If the screws are ripped out of shattered bone, what are they going to do, shit him a new clavicle?

I think maybe you just don't understand the medical procedure or how it works. The metal plate physically makes it very unlikely that the clavicle breaks again. This is a preventative measure. I get that the bracing isn't everywhere, but it covers the vulnerable part of the collar bone which is why it makes it highly unlikely that it breaks again.

AS far as what you do if the screws are ripped out, again I don't think you understand how these things are put in place. The screws won't rip out. They are braced in there. He would literally have to shatter the bones in order for them to rip out. Which wouldn't happen from a hit.

Athletes have metal plates and screws put in there bodies all the time. You talk about it like these are things doctors aren't used to working with if their is a complication. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think maybe you just don't understand the medical procedure or how it works. The metal plate physically makes it very unlikely that the clavicle breaks again. This is a preventative measure. I get that the bracing isn't everywhere, but it covers the vulnerable part of the collar bone which is why it makes it highly unlikely that it breaks again.

AS far as what you do if the screws are ripped out, again I don't think you understand how these things are put in place. The screws won't rip out. They are braced in there. He would literally have to shatter the bones in order for them to rip out. Which wouldn't happen from a hit.

Athletes have metal plates and screws put in there bodies all the time. You talk about it like these are things doctors aren't used to working with if their is a complication. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Okay Dr. Rock, no one suggested doctors aren't "used to working" with screws and plates.

I understand this procedure very well because I had it. The brace doesn't make the bone stronger. It obstensibly braces the weak bone. Usually this is done to promote healing and is removed. It's not a bionic implant and no way in my mind does it help when a 300 lb DE lands on you.

Then if there is a break surgery is automatic and down time a lot more. This is what I meant when saying "more complicated" because it is.

Tony SHOULD think long and hard before doing this and also get other opinions.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing a possible reason. The guy and his wife want a vacation. If he has the surgery now that isn't happening. Does it screw the team? Hell yea it does. That's not his concern right now though. He's an older player and his priorities have changed. I think if it wasn't for the amount of money he's about to make over the next two years he would retire now. The guy is at the beginning stages of checking out.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I do agree that he's thinking about his end game here. I can see him wanting to Jerry draft Someone to take over for him to make his exit easier or to put him in a position to not have to play when he's injured.

If we had a decent back up last season Romo would not have been rushed back into service. Especially if it was a decent kid who they were grooming to take the reigns some day

I think he will not leave the game unless he gets a ring or is forced to by injury. But if we had a replacement waiting in the wings and he got injured again I can see him retiring after next season. Ring or no ring. But if we don't have his replacement in the system I see him sticking around too long and looking like Aikman at the end of his career, or like Peyton did this year

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I do agree that he's thinking about his end game here. I can see him wanting to Jerry draft Someone to take over for him to make his exit easier or to put him in a position to not have to play when he's injured.

If we had a decent back up last season Romo would not have been rushed back into service. Especially if it was a decent kid who they were grooming to take the reigns some day

I think he will not leave the game unless he gets a ring or is forced to by injury. But if we had a replacement waiting in the wings and he got injured again I can see him retiring after next season. Ring or no ring. But if we don't have his replacement in the system I see him sticking around too long and looking like Aikman at the end of his career, or like Peyton did this year

Or Marino after he had the Achilles injury. No one wants to see Romo go through that, especially his wife and kids. They would rather he be at home helping raise the kids.

That's why it's time for the Cowboys to take one of the top 3 QB's. Even if it's not Wentz (who I prefer) they need to get Goff or Lynch. If he fails, yea that would suck. But there is a chance he could succeed. He has an uphill battle to success but there is a chance.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Honestly at this point I don't care which one of the three we take. I haven't seen or read enough about each of them to prefer one over the other

But we HAVE TO take one of them

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Agreed. They have to take one of them. All of them have different strengths so I'd be excited about getting any one of them.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing a possible reason. The guy and his wife want a vacation. If he has the surgery now that isn't happening. Does it screw the team? Hell yea it does. That's not his concern right now though. He's an older player and his priorities have changed. I think if it wasn't for the amount of money he's about to make over the next two years he would retire now. The guy is at the beginning stages of checking out.
No way this is a serious post

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Remember Cabo

Exactly! And that was before he got married. I don't know how many of you guys are married or have ever been married but if Candace wants him to wait for the surgery so that they can take a family vacation trust me, he's going to do what she wants.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You honestly don't think that he just wants to have a good time during the off season? Instead of having to deal with surgery and rehab all off season?

From what I understand there isn't really anything to rehab. This is a plate on a bone, not a tendon or ligament or muscle injury. I've read about people having this and they're basically fine in a couple of weeks.

I think he just doesn't want anything permanently in there if it isn't totally necessary. Which I don't blame him for.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think there have to be some obvious downsides to this that him and docs have discussed, if there weren't I cant imagine why he wouldn't do it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
From what I understand there isn't really anything to rehab. This is a plate on a bone, not a tendon or ligament or muscle injury. I've read about people having this and they're basically fine in a couple of weeks.

I think he just doesn't want anything permanently in there if it isn't totally necessary. Which I don't blame him for.

Yea he definitely has to consider his life after football. It's his body and he does have the right to wait as long as he wants to have the surgery, or if he even wants to have it at all. We all just have to be prepared if he's not in complete shape by camp or the start of the season.

Top Bottom