yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just think the idea that he is better than Romo now is crazy pants.

I agree with that.

I dont see it as a simple equation of who's the better football player today. I think the better way to evaluate the position is to ask:

<Romo+risk of injury+salary cap cost+experience+ceiling> =, < or > <Dak+Risk of Injury+Salary Cap+(in)experience+ceiling>

In all likelihood this wont have to be seriously analyzed until the offseason or after the end of 2017 but if a good trade offer came up, i think this is how its best to evaluate the trade (Plus/minus whatever issues I've failed to mention).

Jeri seems to scoff at thoughts like the above so Romo will probably have to have a career ending injury before he makes the decision of moving on

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I would rather get the extra picks to speed up the process of building the defense to where it needs to be

not to mention the chunk of cap space that will be freed up

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If Romo stays healthy and Dak continues on his trajectory (& stays healthy), I don't see how Romo is on the roster after the 2017 season

Last edited:

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
Oh, people may not have proclaimed it in so many words, but lots of people seem to think it.

What if Dak looks average the next few weeks? Ready to have anyone different even if he isn't better than Tony?

Were not winning a title with Romo so if there is some how we could get rid of his contract and get some picks, I would be onboard

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
With the defense being as bad as it is (nowhere near championship caliber) I don't think this team will be good enough to go deep in the playoffs, even with a healthy Romo. By the time this defense is ready Romo will be ready to retire. I would rather get the extra picks to speed up the process of building the defense to where it needs to be. Then take our chances with an average Dak (if that's what he becomes) and a top notch defense and running game than an old Romo and shitty defense.

I agree
The way I see it is with both Dak and Zeke along with our already established O-Line who are all young, we have the groundwork for a strong team for years to come with the ability to be a very dominant team for a number of years.

Our problem is defense. Dak has proven that he is the future.

Is he better than a healthy Romo? No, not yet. But he has the potential to be some day. And by the looks of things it will be sooner than anyone could have guessed.

Will he have growing pains? Absolutely! Will he struggle this season? Absolutely! Will we lose games with him under center? Absolutely! And my guess is it will be sooner rather than later

But.....

His upside is much better than Romo, 100% in my mind. Sure when Romo is healthy he's one of the top QB's out there. But let's be honest, when was the last time he was actually healthy? And I don't mean when was the last time he didn't have a broken bone, I mean how long has it been since he was actually healthy? Romo is one hit away from retirement! That is without question. And if you think differently you must be named Jerry Jones.

So if we have a chance to get a number of picks (especially a 1st and 3rd) which we can use to start building a young talent laden defense to match our young top tier offense than I say we have to jump on that option.

What good is it having Dak and Zeke with the best o - line in the NFL if our defense keeps losing games and letting us down?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
No way this happens.

Hell even after as well as Dak has played, Jerry is hell bent on playing Romo as soon as possible.

Besides, I seriously doubt Romo could pass a physical with his back being held together by twine.

You know Jerry is thinking, 'If we're doing this well with Dak, surely we can book our tickets to the Super Bowl if we start Romo!'.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
First off, it would be like an $11 million cap hit if the Cowboys traded Romo, so a bunch of players would need to restructure since we currently have about $5 million.

Second, the Jets have even less cap room than us, just over $1M and would need about $8M for Romo.

So, imagining both teams can make the #'s work and ignoring Jerry's career inability to receive fair value in trade compensation, plus I doubt the Jets would trade any players from their strength, the D line, so it would have to be draft picks.

I'm not completely drinking the Dak Kool-Aid (like many of you are) so it would need to be a serious package of picks for me to take on the risk of putting all of our eggs in Dak's basket this soon.

This soon? Think we go anywhere with Romo starting? I think the team has too many holes to.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Dak costs 2.9 million through the end of 2019

Romo costs 90 million through the end of 2019 and would still have a 3.2 million in dead money

I dont see how they can afford to keep him past 2017 so if someone offered a 1st and a 3rd and the cap hit could be massaged, it would allow them to free up cap space and take advatange Daks rookie contract for up to 3 more years (giving room to keep linemen and hopefully spend on defense)

Dak may not be the future but neither is Romo and I'd put my money on Dak going forward if even it meant losing whatever is left of Romo and having to put up with growing pains with Dak

Yup. Romo starting would basically mean stopping some of Dak's progress.

We may receive one or two more wins with Romo starting, but I doubt we make it to the Super Bowl with him; much less the NFCG.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry wouldn't do it. Nor should he.

I want to see how Prescott does the next two games against quality opponents, but if he plays well and we win one (or both) then if the jets (or anybody) made a really legitimate offer for Romo I think we'd be stupid not to take it.

And by "legitimate" I mean either a couple of pretty high picks or a fairly high pick and a really quality defensive starter, preferably a DE.

Not sure if Romo is even tradable though with his cap situation, so its probably fantasy land thought anyway.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With the defense being as bad as it is (nowhere near championship caliber) I don't think this team will be good enough to go deep in the playoffs, even with a healthy Romo. By the time this defense is ready Romo will be ready to retire. I would rather get the extra picks to speed up the process of building the defense to where it needs to be. Then take our chances with an average Dak (if that's what he becomes) and a top notch defense and running game than an old Romo and shitty defense.
I basically agree with the part about the defense not being good enough to win this year. Only thing is like I was saying before, what if Dak is just pretty good? As in, someone you can win games with but not make deep runs with? I still think Romo is good enough to win a Superbowl with just a few defensive additions that could probably be made in one year.

But if the QB is only pretty good, the defense has to be great, and I don't see us doing that anytime soon. This front office can't even put together a decent one in the last half decade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I basically agree with the part about the defense not being good enough to win this year. Only thing is like I was saying before, what if Dak is just pretty good? As in, someone you can win games with but not make deep runs with? I still think Romo is good enough to win a Superbowl with just a few defensive additions that could probably be made in one year.

But if the QB is only pretty good, the defense has to be great, and I don't see us doing that anytime soon. This front office can't even put together a decent one in the last half decade.

Romo is far closer to the absolute end than he is to the beginning. Nobody has seen him throw or do anything since the Seattle game, he might be done already, and if he isn't then he certainly is capable of being one hit away from being done. If somebody is dumb enough to give us premium pick/s and/or a bonafide starter or two on defense it'd be colossally stupid for us to turn it down, whether Prescott is "only pretty good" or not.

We do need a talent influx on defense and if they can get extra picks or proven guys via trade to help do that, its a smart move. We have a few decent pieces on defense but more is needed.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I agree that they definitely need an influx of high level talent. They've spent the last few years putting those resources in to the offense. Well now the offense is where you need it to be. They're eventually going to need another WR but other than that the offense is set for the next several years, especially now that they have a young QB that looks potentially really good.

So the next few years those high picks should go on defense. Other than Collins and Lawrence every other guy on that DL needs to be upgraded. They need at least two LB's too. Hitchens is best as a backup and I'm not counting on Jaylon. Then you have to consider Sean is no spring chicken. With an extra premium pick/picks or a pick and players it would go a long way towards filling those holes.

They also wouldn't exactly be sending Romo off to some wasteland. That's not a bad team, they just have a shitty QB.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I basically agree with the part about the defense not being good enough to win this year. Only thing is like I was saying before, what if Dak is just pretty good? As in, someone you can win games with but not make deep runs with? .

You just described Romo's entire career

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No matter what happens at QB this year you can forget making, let alone winning the Super Bowl. That option is off the table. Our defense can not handle a Super Bowl caliber team.

It doesn't matter if Romo comes back and runs the table, or we stick with Dak and he exceeds all expectation and we win the division, end up with a bye, get a weeks rest before playing a top team.

Our Defense is not good enough to allow us to win or to stop a super bowl caliber team.

So with that said, we will need to build a defense like they did in Denver before we stand a chance at winning a Super Bowl.

That shit doesn't happen overnight.

Romo's body will not allow him to play long enough to see that dream come true. So if we can get a jump start on building a winning defense by trading Romo then that is what we should do.

But this is all fantasy because no team would give up what we would want for him and his cap hit will prohibit the trade

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if Romo throws the first INT of the season

Angrymesscan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Super excited about Dak. I just think the idea that he is better than Romo now is crazy pants.

Dak has beaten the Bears, 49ers, and Redskins, who are a combined 4-9. I think we need to step back and enjoy his progress. Too many people think we are Super Bowl bound and Dak is the league MVP.

Agreed he's not better than Romo, but I don't think we're winning much beyond one playoff game with either this season nor do I think Romo could take us much further than Dak in 2017. So if I can get something for Romo I take it.

Top Bottom