dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You couldn't fix the personnel on this defense in less than 3 years from today.

That's some sad stuff right there.

Sure you could debbie downer. Not every spot is a hole, there are some good players there.

Ratliff will be on the DL somewhere. Hatcher is having a good year. Ware is a superstar. Lee appears he is going to be a perennial probowler, or at the least a high quality starter. Jenkins is looking very good again.

Then there are guys like Lissemore, Brent and Carter, young players who appear to have some upside. Spears is what he is, a usually dependable role player. Sensabaugh isnt what I'd consider a "good" player, but he is an average player at his position.

Where they need to upgrade is 1 DL spot, the OLB spot opp Ware CB and FS. And you absolutely could find answers to those positions in one offseason between free agency and the draft. We wont be sitting out free agency this upcoming offseason and have alot of cap flexibility for a change, there will definitely be alot of moves made on defense.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sure you could debbie downer. Not every spot is a hole, there are some good players there.

Ratliff will be on the DL somewhere. Hatcher is having a good year. Ware is a superstar. Lee appears he is going to be a perennial probowler, or at the least a high quality starter. Jenkins is looking very good again.

Then there are guys like Lissemore, Brent and Carter, young players who appear to have some upside. Spears is what he is, a usually dependable role player. Sensabaugh isnt what I'd consider a "good" player, but he is an average player at his position.

Where they need to upgrade is 1 DL spot, the OLB spot opp Ware CB and FS. And you absolutely could find answers to those positions in one offseason between free agency and the draft. We wont be sitting out free agency this upcoming offseason and have alot of cap flexibility for a change, there will definitely be alot of moves made on defense.

Both safeties are garbage.
Need to replace Newman and cb depth is horrid.
Need ILB and OLB.
Could benefit from bigger NT.

You can't replace everything in one offseason.

You'll also be trying to draft these replacements. You'll miss on a few.

Yeah, I think 3 years is realistic.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If Rob Ryan wanted to bring pressure he would coach up Anthony Spencer, I thought he was in a contract year. If he is, and this is the best he can do in a CONTRACT year, they need to cut their losses. He plays good ball in spurts, and short ones at that. In 07 when we led the league in defense, Ware and Ellis met at the QB on a consistent basis. Ware is a beast, but he can be game planned out of a game when you are able to put two or three people in to block him without fear of reprisal from the rusher opposite him. Last time Spencer got a sack was leaving the grocery store.

Reaction score
If Rob Ryan wanted to bring pressure he would coach up Anthony Spencer, I thought he was in a contract year. If he is, and this is the best he can do in a CONTRACT year, they need to cut their losses. He plays good ball in spurts, and short ones at that. In 07 when we led the league in defense, Ware and Ellis met at the QB on a consistent basis. Ware is a beast, but he can be game planned out of a game when you are able to put two or three people in to block him without fear of reprisal from the rusher opposite him. Last time Spencer got a sack was leaving the grocery store.

Spencer has been playing pretty well this season i think. Our entire team has a problem with finishing so to put that on him specifically isn't very fair. He was just as effective on the passrush as Ware last game. 5 pressures to Ware's 6.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Spencer has been playing pretty well this season i think. Our entire team has a problem with finishing so to put that on him specifically isn't very fair. He was just as effective on the passrush as Ware last game. 5 pressures to Ware's 6.
Im sorry at least he Pressures.............

C

Cr122

I'll take the sacks over the pressures anyday.

Having said this we need to replace Spencer, he hasn't lived up to a first round talent.

Reaction score
I'll take the sacks over the pressures anyday.

Having said this we need to replace Spencer, he hasn't lived up to a first round talent.

lol

Who wouldn't? Im just saying no one on our team is getting them, and no one is getting closer to them besides Ware.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Both safeties are garbage.
Need to replace Newman and cb depth is horrid.
Need ILB and OLB.
Could benefit from bigger NT.

You can't replace everything in one offseason.

You'll also be trying to draft these replacements. You'll miss on a few.

Yeah, I think 3 years is realistic.

Both safeties arnt garbage. Sensabaugh is an average starter. He hasnt played as well the past few games, but that coincides with him nearly breaking his foot vs Washington. I'm fine with the idea of moving on from Newman, but Scandrick is a quality 3rd CB. He isnt terrible, he just isnt as good as Jenkins or Newman is. We drafted our ILB's of the future the past two seasons, Bruce Carter will start in 2012 and Lee is outstanding. I think upgrading the OLB spot opp Ware is critical, and I suspect Josh Brent or someone else might start at NT in 2012 with Ratliff either moving to DE or perhaps to a parttime nickel pass rusher type role.

So yeah, they could make the upgrades they need in one offseason.

C

Cr122

I would not be against replacing both safeties and Newman and Scandrick.

I've seen enough. And I'm not saying that's the whole problem on defense, but it's part of it. Part of the front seven is the other.

Top Bottom