Rev

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Im not blaming Ryan at all. When you have shat to work with its hard to hide all the flaws. We have some some non-executing dumbasses on the defense. I would only keep 3 and shoot the rest.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Im not blaming Ryan at all. When you have shat to work with its hard to hide all the flaws. We have some some non-executing dumbasses on the defense. I would only keep 3 and shoot the rest.

2nd and 22 and you send TWO DBs from the same side on a blitz? And leave the WR open.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ryan is trying to run his scheme with a group that set franchise marks for ineptitude last year. I think there are 4 players on defense currently starting that you can count on. A lot of garbage otherwise.

and not only do we bring them all back, we reward Sensabugh with an extension.

Talent evaluation is our biggest issue.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2nd and 22 and you send TWO DBs from the same side on a blitz? And leave the WR open.

Not to excuse Ryan, because that was cleary a major screw-up, but what the Hell was Church doing going with the shortest route? Safety 101 is you go with the deepest guy.

Rev

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Was that by design or did the players screw it up? I will give Ryan the benefit of the doubt or we would have seen it before now.

Reaction score
cbsdollarbill Bill Jones
in his career as a defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan's teams have a 27-28 record when tied or leading in 4th quarter (7-5 this yr)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
cbsdollarbill Bill Jones
in his career as a defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan's teams have a 27-28 record when tied or leading in 4th quarter (7-5 this yr)

Ouch.

That stat along with the fact that in 8 of Garrett's last 9 losses we have blown 4th quarter leads is really leaving me very little faith in the immediate future of the franchise.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Game management is his biggest issue, i've been saying that as well. However, i'd expect that to be his biggest issue with him being as young as he is and as relatively inexperienced as he is and it being his first year as a HC. Im confident he'll get better with that. I think the biggest concern with him for me right now is that this team doesn't seem anymore prepared or focused or mentally strong than Wade's teams were. We still make sloppy mistakes and take bad penalties.. at horrible times too. That needs to change quickly.

Taking that into account then, wouldn't you agree that as a first year HC, he should concentrate on being the HC instead of trying to be both HC and OC? It's ridiculus that he's the OC and yet has a passing-game coordinator and a running game cooridinator.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
and not only do we bring them all back, we reward Sensabugh with an extension.

Talent evaluation is our biggest issue.

Let's extend Ball as well. Last year him and Sensebaugh were the Achilles of this defense and still are. One thing we all hoped that we would never see was Ball and Sensebaugh on the field at the same time together.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't know how you can pin this one on Ryan when Newman runs stride for stride with receivers (most times a step or 2 behind) and chooses not to cover.

Reaction score
Taking that into account then, wouldn't you agree that as a first year HC, he should concentrate on being the HC instead of trying to be both HC and OC? It's ridiculus that he's the OC and yet has a passing-game coordinator and a running game cooridinator.

I agree completely. Would love to see Sparano back in here as the OC. I know JG thinks he can handle both, but he could only benefit from having an OC at this point in his head coaching career.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He choked not Romo
Here we go with the Rob Ryan bashing. Last season it was all Wade Phillips' fault for being too soft and not playing an aggressive style defense. Now Rob Ryan comes in and attempts to do what Wade supposedly was unwilling, or unable, to do. Ryan bashers need to get a clue and direct their frustration in the right direction.

The fact of the matter is that both Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan faced the same problems with this defense. It lacks the talent to play the aggressive style defense that both guys like to play. Wade Phillips wasn't playing soft because he wanted to, he did it because of his personnel.

Fans wanted Wade to do more blitzing. Well when Rob Ryan called an all out blitz and put his DB's in man coverage Eli Manning went deep. The victims of that 64 yard pass were none other than Sensabaugh and Alan Ball. The same two guys who Wade Phillips was reluctant to put in that situation last season.

So don't blame Rob Ryan, this is exactly what all you Wade Phillips bashers asked for. Rob Ryan is just getting a lesson on what Wade was faced with last season, and all-n-all he's doing a good job. If you want to bash someone, bash the guys who made no personnel changes on the 31st ranked defense in the league. The same two guys who convinced you that the defense was just a coaching change away from being great. The main reason this team is dysfunctional is because the media and fans are always bashing, and demanding the head, of the wrong people.

Reaction score
Here we go with the Rob Ryan bashing. Last season it was all Wade Phillips' fault for being too soft and not playing an aggressive style defense. Now Rob Ryan comes in and attempts to do what Wade supposedly was unwilling, or unable, to do. Ryan bashers need to get a clue and direct their frustration in the right direction.

The fact of the matter is that both Wade Phillips and Rob Ryan faced the same problems with this defense. It lacks the talent to play the aggressive style defense that both guys like to play. Wade Phillips wasn't playing soft because he wanted to, he did it because of his personnel.

Fans wanted Wade to do more blitzing. Well when Rob Ryan called an all out blitz and put his DB's in man coverage Eli Manning went deep. The victims of that 64 yard pass were none other than Sensabaugh and Alan Ball. The same two guys who Wade Phillips was reluctant to put in that situation last season.

So don't blame Rob Ryan, this is exactly what all you Wade Phillips bashers asked for. Rob Ryan is just getting a lesson on what Wade was faced with last season, and all-n-all he's doing a good job. If you want to bash someone, bash the guys who made no personnel changes on the 31st ranked defense in the league. The same two guys who convinced you that the defense was just a coaching change away from being great. The main reason this team is dysfunctional is because the media and fans are always bashing, and demanding the head, of the wrong people.

Great to wake up and read such a great post.

Reaction score
Scandrick: "We've just got to play better. We tried a simple scheme last year & it didn't work. We've got 3 weeks to get it right."

Reaction score
espn_macmahon Tim MacMahon
Scandrick's point is on the money: It's on the players. Wade Phillips didn't suddenly get smarter when he went to Houston. Look at his D now

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The defense is littered with shitty players. They get contract extensions not if they're good, but if the don't F up real bad.

Scandrick and Sensabaugh are the players you want to lock up long term?

Wtf for?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You couldn't fix the personnel on this defense in less than 3 years from today.

That's some sad stuff right there.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thanks for the perspective at the end of this thread. Stupid to blame the coaches when we've seen this same thing throughout different regimes. We draft dumb players. Players who have no concept of "it's 2nd and 22 maybe I should play this one different" or "we're calling an all out blitz here I need to make sure I keep the receiver in front of me." Just idiots who fuck up over and over again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scandrick: "We've just got to play better. We tried a simple scheme last year & it didn't work. We've got 3 weeks to get it right."

well they dont have 3 weeks to get it right...they gotta start getting it right this week

otherwise they'll soon have a nice long offseason to look forward to in order to "get it right"

C

Cr122

We better start paying more attention to wonderlic scores in this years draft.

Top Bottom