boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
League speaks out on Riley Cooper comments

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT

When NFL players say dumb, stupid, harmful things and then apologize, the league usually stays quiet. But with Cooper caught on video using one of the ugliest words in the English language, the league has decided to speak out.

“The NFL stands for diversity and inclusion,” league spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT by email. “Comments like this are wrong, offensive, and unacceptable.”

Cooper has said the Eagles have fined him. In theory, the NFL could take action against Cooper under the personal-conduct policy. With Cooper acknowledging that he’ll accept any consequences of his comments, an appeal based on dual punishments would be unlikely.
-------------

Holy shit...really?

I get (maybe) that the team fined him.

But are you fucking kidding me? A league sanction?

Are they honestly thinking the NFL is a lot different than the real world where there are racists?

They are living in la-la land. Handle it internally, not with some dumb shit league sanction.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When I said dripping, I meant stinky dripping with a cottage cheese like yeast infection discharge.

Like putting ricotta cheese on an Arby's sandwich, taking a bite and looking at it.

If y'all are still turned on after that clarification, y'all are nasty.

Man you one sick fuck. LOL. Now I can't get that image out of my mind.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Lurie says Eagles are “shocked and appalled” by Cooper’s comments

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2013, 6:14 PM EDT

With Riley Cooper being caught on camera using the strongest possible racial epithet, his employer is reacting. Strongly.

“We are shocked and appalled by Riley Cooper’s words,” owner Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement issued by the team. “This sort of behavior or attitude from anyone has no role in a civil society. He has accepted responsibility for his words and his actions. He has been fined for this incident.“

There’s a disconnect, it seems, between being “shocked and appalled” by an employee’s behavior and responding to it with only a fine. Conduct that prompts shock and/or whatever the noun for “appalled” is in most workplaces will get the employee fired.

But here’s where the great double standard comes into play. The Eagles need Cooper, especially with Jeremy Maclin gone for the year. So they’ll say that what Cooper said was horrible — and they won’t fire him.

If he were floating at the bottom of the roster, he’d already be gone.

That’s the way it goes in sports of every kind and at every level. Unless the conduct is grossly criminal (e.g., dogfighting or alleged murder), a skilled professional athlete gets his second chance with his current team. Otherwise, one of the competing teams will be the team who provides the player with a shot at redemption — to the possible detriment of the team that cut him.
------------

Here comes the shocking and appalled overreactions.

Reaction score
True, but this will only fuel the fire some more. Doesn't he realize there's smart phones these days.

Yep them boys knew during the water breaks at camp today....I might go search for some Philly sports radio online for the next few days, should be entertaining..:popcorn

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I like the comments from that video.

He's at a Kenny Chesney concert: That's like threatening to fight every heterosexual at a Melissa Etheridge concert

Heh, that was my first thought. He probably meant it like everybody here, not as a racial slur. Does anyone really think he was mad at an African American dude when he said that? I don't know the context, but I doubt it.

Of course, a white person still can't say this no matter how he meant it.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Cooper meeting team tonight to discuss racial slur

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 31, 2013, 6:53 PM EDT

As uncomfortable as being labeled a racist, or apologizing in a statement or holding a press conference might have been, the hard part for Eagles wide receiver Riley Cooper begins tonight.

After video of Cooper using a racial slur hit the internet this afternoon, there was a hastily called press conference, at which time Cooper said he hadn’t spoken with any of his teammates.

“I’m going to tell them exactly what I’m telling you,” Cooper said, via Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I’m extremely sorry. I should have never said what I said.

“Most of the ones that know me, which excludes the rookies coming in, they know the kind of person I am.”

Convincing teammates who have to work with him every day will be much harder than the typical act of contrition players begin as soon as they’re caught doing something illegal or dumb.

And there’s a reasonable chance that not all of them will accept his apology, which could cost him more than any fine from the team possibly could.

The video showed Cooper arguing with an African American security guard at a Kenny Chesney concert, and saying: “I will jump that fence and fight every n—– in here.”

But Cooper said he had never said the word before (which makes it really unfortunate for him that a camera caught him the one time he slipped).

“I wasn’t raised that way,” he said. “I got a great mom and dad at home. They’re extremely, extremely disappointed in me.”

They should be, but they’re his parents, and they’ll forgive him. They have to.

His teammates aren’t bound by that same obligation.
-------------

And to make matters worse, Mike Vick's ignorant brother got on Twitter offered a grand to anyone who lights him up.

Wow.

buckup

Reaction score
This is awesome:

Most of the ones that know me, which excludes the rookies coming in, they know the kind of person I am.”

Top Bottom