Reaction score
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett is hopeful that cornerback Mike Jenkins will join the team at organized team activities on Tuesday, but it seems that his hopes will be dashed.

Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Jenkins will not be showing up on Tuesday and that he wants to be traded away from the Cowboys. By signing Brandon Carr and drafting Morris Claiborne, the Cowboys have pushed Jenkins to third on the depth chart and there’s not much chance he’s going to get an extension from a team that’s already spending a fair amount on Carr, Claiborne and Orlando Scandrick.

Jenkins was shopped during the draft, but the Cowboys didn’t find a deal that made them pull the trigger. Since then they have been talking up their depth at corner, something that doesn’t seem to have struck any heart strings for Jenkins. Jenkins is set to make $1.052 million in 2012, a number that makes it much easier to consider keeping him as a third corner and letting him walk after the season.

Jenkins had shoulder surgery after last season which would have kept him out of OTAs even if he showed up. Neither the injury nor his desire for a new deal will make Jenkins any easier for the Cowboys to deal unless their asking price is on the modest side.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
its may.

who cares right now, he is injured and wouldnt be practicing anyway.

Rosenhaus already told jerry in march he wanted the same deal as carr got, so all bets have been placed.

he will probably show up to camp, bitch for a day or two and then play.

Nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
its may.

who cares right now, he is injured and wouldnt be practicing anyway.

Rosenhaus already told jerry in march he wanted the same deal as carr got, so all bets have been placed.

he will probably show up to camp, bitch for a day or two and then play.

Nothing to worry about.

I agree.

Unless a team is going to donk a third rounder or higher for the guy, I say make him play. He's got zero leverage.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree.

Unless a team is going to donk a third rounder or higher for the guy, I say make him play. He's got zero leverage.

I say tell that scumbag he has representing him to get busy. If they can't find a team before training camp begins then he's suspended without pay.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're under contract, you should show up. Period. Only Jerry could create a problem where none existed.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I agree.

even healthy like I told dbair last year and he flipped on me, I dont think jenkins is as good as many believe.

he was atrocious in 2010.

I dont think he would bring much back in a trade if he was 100% healthy coming off an excellent year let alone being in a contract year, hiring drew rosenhaus, having shoulder surgery and now pouting.

No matter what we should keep him this year. Sooner or later he will run out of tears and just go back and play football.

its what every other frigging team does. The giants dont give a shit when osi bitches all year or when strahan doesnt show up for ota or training camp. Nor do the eagles when jackson or samuels or whoever complain.

let him complain and let him bitch. he can play here and get paid his salary this year or else.

and no one is just going to let a million dollars go over principle, especially not an injured player.

it will be a big topic till camp and then he will just fall back in line and hopefully help the team in a rotation somehow.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you're under contract, you should show up. Period. Only Jerry could create a problem where none existed.

if your point is claiborne your wrong. Rosenhaus went to jerry right after carr signed and said he had to have the same deal for jenkins...

so rosenhaus is just doing his usual thing with his players in contract years. This is the time of year they can do this stuff and since jenkins cant participate anyway it makes perfect sense for jenkins to act all badass right now.

come august I bet he will be at camp and playing.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Rosenhaus needs to be blackballed by the league and Jenkins needs to honor his contract that he signed. This isn't McDonald's where you show up when you feel like it, which is where he needs to be anyway.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
if your point is claiborne your wrong. Rosenhaus went to jerry right after carr signed and said he had to have the same deal for jenkins...

so rosenhaus is just doing his usual thing with his players in contract years. This is the time of year they can do this stuff and since jenkins cant participate anyway it makes perfect sense for jenkins to act all badass right now.

come august I bet he will be at camp and playing.

No one in their right mind thought that cornerback was still a pressing need after we signed Carr. It was all about replacing Newman, not Jenkins. That's why most draft projections had us going safety, dline or oline. As for Rosenhaus, I remember him approaching the team about a contract extension, but not the part about Jenkins being paid as much as Carr.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No one in their right mind thought that cornerback was still a pressing need after we signed Carr. It was all about replacing Newman, not Jenkins. That's why most draft projections had us going safety, dline or oline. As for Rosenhaus, I remember him approaching the team about a contract extension, but not the part about Jenkins being paid as much as Carr.

David Moore talked about it during the draft coverage on the ticket.

Draft projections do not mean anything. they are done by people who are just making educated guesses.

Brian baker even commented on the stuff he read about the draft this year on the radio during the draft, saying that what he was reading about all the outside linebackers was not accurate and how there were alot of lineman who will play in the league next year...

anyway, I am pretty sure the team thought corner was an issue. Newman was done and jenkins has one year left and had shoulder surgery. He had a good half year in 09, a terrible year in 10 and played with alot of heart in 11.

So something had to give. If the best defensive player supposedly can be had for a 2nd rounder and he will play for four years and 17 million its hard to argue this.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

My draft projection had us picking Dre Kirkpatrick. So suck it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
anyway, I am pretty sure the team thought corner was an issue. Newman was done and jenkins has one year left and had shoulder surgery. He had a good half year in 09, a terrible year in 10 and played with alot of heart in 11.

So something had to give. If the best defensive player supposedly can be had for a 2nd rounder and he will play for four years and 17 million its hard to argue this.

It was a burning ember compared to the four-alarm fires in other areas of the team. In other words, a luxury. So we get younger and cheaper at the position, but not necessarily better. That's what time will tell. As for Jenkins, the only way to get that big $ contract is to get healthy and return to form on the field as the #2 CB. Kinda hard to do if someone else has taken your job.

My draft projection had us picking Dre Kirkpatrick. So suck it.

But you would have converted him to safety. Cheater.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
High, liberal and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
just sayin' that was my plan. I know everyone was gung-ho for Barron and Decastro but I thought all those people were retarded, realized that we need secondary help bad and thought Kirkpatrick fit nicely. Not at safety either. Hence my immediate glee when I heard we pulled off the blockbuster for Claiborne.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
just sayin' that was my plan. I know everyone was gung-ho for Barron and Decastro but I thought all those people were retarded, realized that we need secondary help bad and thought Kirkpatrick fit nicely. Not at safety either. Hence my immediate glee when I heard we pulled off the blockbuster for Claiborne.

Safety help. We still don't have any of note. Carr + Jenkins > Sensy and Elam.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It was a burning ember compared to the four-alarm fires in other areas of the team. In other words, a luxury. So we get younger and cheaper at the position, but not necessarily better. That's what time will tell. As for Jenkins, the only way to get that big $ contract is to get healthy and return to form on the field as the #2 CB. Kinda hard to do if someone else has taken your job.

But you would have converted him to safety. Cheater.

Not a four alarm fire, but a small fire about to become a large one thanks in part to our brilliant front office that can not find secondary players to save there lives.

Jenkins can still be a starter when all is said and done. This is all just fodder for bloggers or whatever.

He knows he has two ways to get what he wants, play his ass off and have a great year and cash in or get healthy play well and get traded to a team that suffers an injury in camp or before week six.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Safety help. We still don't have any of note. Carr + Jenkins > Sensy and Elam.

Dude it was my plan I'm smarter than everyone here get over it. Barron is a scrub and there were no other safeties in the draft. And there were no decent safeties in FA. So we couldn't call 1-900-getasafetyparcells. Did what we had to do, got an elite player at a position of need. Jenkins can suck it.

Top Bottom