25. Bruce Allen- Washington Redskins
26. Marty Hurney- Carolina Panthers
27. Trent Baalke- San Francisco 49ers
28.Brian Xanders- Denver Broncos
29. Buddy Nix- Buffalo Bills
30.Gene Smith- Jacksonville Jaguars
31. Mike Brown- Cincinnati Bengals
32. Al Davis- Oakland Raiders

not trying to pick a fight but FLOYD REESE is your number 1? Really? This is the guy that took pacman jones in the top 10 and then vince young. These would be prime examples of screwing up had jerry done that.

In fact just about every GM was terrified of Pacman. Carl peterson Who I think was the worst GM in the league except al davis wouldnt even touch pacman. Dick Vermeil told that story on the nfl network combine coverage a few years ago. Vermeil, peterson and others had pacman in to interview him and vermeil said he knew instantly the guy was trouble and immature and said he wouldnt even draft him let alone in the top 10. Floyd Reese did just that. Carl Peterson was terrible IMO but he was even smart enough to avoid that pitfall.

best part about vermiel telling that story was that he told it to Shithead sanders on air and shithead sanders was steaming but couldnt do his usual tired bit about not having a dad or whatever because he even knew..

of course about 3 months later he ended up on our team........Kill Me.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
not trying to pick a fight but FLOYD REESE is your number 1? Really? This is the guy that took pacman jones in the top 10 and then vince young. These would be prime examples of screwing up had jerry done that.

In fact just about every GM was terrified of Pacman. Carl peterson Who I think was the worst GM in the league except al davis wouldnt even touch pacman. Dick Vermeil told that story on the nfl network combine coverage a few years ago. Vermeil, peterson and others had pacman in to interview him and vermeil said he knew instantly the guy was trouble and immature and said he wouldnt even draft him let alone in the top 10. Floyd Reese did just that. Carl Peterson was terrible IMO but he was even smart enough to avoid that pitfall.

best part about vermiel telling that story was that he told it to Shithead sanders on air and shithead sanders was steaming but couldnt do his usual tired bit about not having a dad or whatever because he even knew..

of course about 3 months later he ended up on our team........Kill Me.

I think Jerry thought everything Pacman did was cute. He wanted a player like him to become a star and draw even more attention to the team. Like my dad said, who quit the team after Jerry fired Landry, "he'd sign Charles Manson."

Of course everyone but Jerry knew what would eventually happen with Pacman. And Tank. And TO.

Reaction score
Either that, or he saw Pacman as an uber-talented kid and hoped he'd recognize his last chance.

Jerry has an affinity for reclaimation projects. Sometimes it works. Most times, not.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Jerry thought everything Pacman did was cute. He wanted a player like him to become a star and draw even more attention to the team. Like my dad said, who quit the team after Jerry fired Landry, "he'd sign Charles Manson."

Of course everyone but Jerry knew what would eventually happen with Pacman. And Tank. And TO.

I actually think jerry and everyone else knew he would be trouble, but they also thought we were a cornerback and punt returner away. So I think they were willing to live with his moron antics if it brought them to the big game.

I pray...wait I never pray....I hope Garrett has the reigns on all these things.

If you ever watch that 95 americas team episode, there is a scene with aikman and garrett stretching during training camp and Jerry and switzer are running around proclaiming what all these rookies were going to do and aikman and garrett are just looking at each other and mumbling something. You could tell they just hated it.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I actually think jerry and everyone else knew he would be trouble, but they also thought we were a cornerback and punt returner away. So I think they were willing to live with his moron antics if it brought them to the big game.

I pray...wait I never pray....I hope Garrett has the reigns on all these things.

If you ever watch that 95 americas team episode, there is a scene with aikman and garrett stretching during training camp and Jerry and switzer are running around proclaiming what all these rookies were going to do and aikman and garrett are just looking at each other and mumbling something. You could tell they just hated it.

I saw that. The one I saw was about the '94 season and followed Switzer being hired and the disaster that followed. Aikman and Garrett were talking and Aikman said something like, "These guys they're bringing in aren't any good, but they keep praising them like they are. If a guy isn't good don't praise him."

Last edited:

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The only problem player we've been able to succesfully "flip" was Alonzo Spellman. He turned into be one of the top 3 defensive tackles in the game by the last quarter of the '99 season. After that he went downhill.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I saw that. The one I saw was about the '94 season and followed Switzer being hired and the disaster that followed. Aikman and Garrett were talking and Aikman said something like like, "These guys they're bringing in aren't any good, but they keep praising them like they are. If a guy isn't good don't praise him."

Yep thats it. The best part of that episode was moose's soundbite about other players and coaches wondering how they are winning without a head coach!! lol

up yours switzer.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep thats it. The best part of that episode was moose's soundbite about other players and coaches wondering how they are winning without a head coach!! lol

up yours switzer.

Switzer was so bad. He was making comments in that video about how "It's not hard being a head coach!" I'm sure it wasn't for him. He didn't do anything but hold onto the team around its neck.

Cythim

Reaction score
I keep seeing people say talent aquisition and dbair keeps saying "yeah, we got talent!" but it is more than just aquiring talent. A good GM will find the guys that aren't super stars but have the potential and a good GM will create a staff that takes these talents and turn them into super stars. They build a good roster that can compete each year, but also groom young talent to take over for vets who either have passed their prime or cost too much to keep around.

A few years ago Washington had a talented defense that boasted how many first round draft picks? For all of the talent aquisition done by the Skins in the past decade, it sure hasn't gotten them anywhere. Dallas has developed some stars out of Romo and Austin, but it doesn't go much beyond that.

If you look at the Patriots roster, how many of those guys were high round draft picks or big name free agents before getting to New England? They have only missed the playoffs twice in the last decade (once when Brady was out for the season) and haven't been below .500 in that stretch. They haven't won a Super Bowl since 2004, but they are always one of the preseason favorites. What happens when Brady is gone? They were 11-5 the season without him and missed the playoffs thanks to losing on tie-breakers and I have no doubt that they are already grooming Hoyer to be his possible replacement.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's all about having the right system and finding the right players. You can't just collect talented players who don't fit in with what you're doing.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

up yours switzer.

Then Woodson talked about how he and Brock Marion just sat there and drank a beer in the lockerroom after Superbowl 30. They saw things falling apart midseason and were just relieved that the team was able to hold things together.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Good owner, bad GM. He's not a football guy. I once met a guy who worked for the Cowboys and said Jones was hard to work for. Jones would have fired the GM around 1997 if it was someone else. Instead we just kept sputtering along. He just can't get it through his head that he's not a football guy. He never will be.
If he is such a good owner why won't he hire a real GM....

Top Bottom