onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I didn't have a issue with us signing Hardy. In the end, Hardy was not very special for us. We paid $9 million for 6 sacks. Move on.

real easy to say
+

show me who we can get who has a history of double digit sacks

Mario is going to cost a lot more than Hardy will. Outside of him who is there?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
real easy to say

It's easy to say because it's true

I'm not sure that Mario will be more expensive than Hardy. Demarcus Ware may be in the picture as well. Vernon could be an option. There are literally dozens of free agents we can consider versus feeling forced to bring back Hardy.

Plus, I honestly believe Garrett is afraid of Hardy, His golly gee guys let's win one for the gipper crap doesn't work on Hardy. He stood there paralyzed while Hardy knocked the clipboard out of the ST Coach's hands.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I do believe that Hardy will perform much better this coming season regardless of what team he is on

He should be in better shape, all the bs surrounding him has died down, and I believe he will be more focused this season. Especially after not performing up to expectations last season. So I can see him having a much better year. He will come out with something to prove. As long as he's in shape I think we see a much better performance

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If we can retain Hardy on a performances based contract then that's fine. But he hasn't proven to be as dominant as he has in the past other than the Pats game

But I in no way want to reward his mediocre performance and bad behavior with a huge contract

I actually expect Hardy will have a better year production wise. It takes a player a while to get completely back after taking a year off. Hardy is still fairly young so I expect his production will be much better this year. With all that said I still don't want him back. He was clearly a distraction in the locker room. He was late to meetings and Red refused to discipline him. That causes animosity in the locker room and this team has enough issues to deal with without throwing that on top. Not to mention the circus that comes with having Hardy on this team.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
real easy to say
+

show me who we can get who has a history of double digit sacks

Mario is going to cost a lot more than Hardy will. Outside of him who is there?

Don't be so sure about Mario. I think he'd be cheaper than what we paid for Hardy this year. He had a down year and he's older.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's easy to say because it's true

I'm not sure that Mario will be more expensive than Hardy. Demarcus Ware may be in the picture as well. Vernon could be an option. There are literally dozens of free agents we can consider versus feeling forced to bring back Hardy.

Plus, I honestly believe Garrett is afraid of Hardy, His golly gee guys let's win one for the gipper crap doesn't work on Hardy. He stood there paralyzed while Hardy knocked the clipboard out of the ST Coach's hands.

Demarcus Ware still has 1 more year on his contract. I don't see the Broncos cutting him. I see them keeping that defense together for 1 more year and making another run with it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Demarcus Ware still has 1 more year on his contract. I don't see the Broncos cutting him. I see them keeping that defense together for 1 more year and making another run with it.

Ware counts $11,666,668 against their cap and they can save $10,000,000 by cutting him. It is possible Ware takes a paycut to stay, which would sting a little, since he refused to take a paycut in Dallas.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Ware counts $11,666,668 against their cap and they can save $10,000,000 by cutting him. It is possible Ware takes a paycut to stay, which would sting a little, since he refused to take a paycut in Dallas.

I think that's exactly what he does. He recently said that he still has a lot of game in him. Plus winning a SB with the Broncos, I think he'll do anything to stay with them. I also think that when he retires he'll choose to go in as a Bronco instead of a Cowboy.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
no point in taking a pay cut for a team going nowhere like the boys are and were. Another shot at a ring- yeah that is motivation to take less.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't be so sure about Mario. I think he'd be cheaper than what we paid for Hardy this year. He had a down year and he's older.

had a down yr, older and his teammates and coaches hated him because he gave up

pass

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Thought I read somewhere the Broncos have one of the worst cap situations for 2016. Manning is almost assuredly done and they need to keep Osweiler, who is a free agent.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Thought I read somewhere the Broncos have one of the worst cap situations for 2016. Manning is almost assuredly done and they need to keep Osweiler, who is a free agent.

They don't.

When Peyton retires, they'll have $28M in space. They have the 6th most cap dollars free for 2017 with $86M in space. That's just $10M shy of having 3x the amount Dallas currently projects for 2017. Dallas is dead last with $32M. 22 teams have at least twice that much.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They don't.

When Peyton retires, they'll have $28M in space. They have the 6th most cap dollars free for 2017 with $86M in space. That's just $10M shy of having 3x the amount Dallas currently projects for 2017. Dallas is dead last with $32M. 22 teams have at least twice that much.

I do know that the Cowboys have less than $1 mil in dead money. Also they could clear as much as $80 mil if the really wanted to. I doubt they clear that much space though. No sense in reworking Romo's contract.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

They have to sign both Osweiler AND Von. Von will get franchised. I'm betting there will be a fight between Von Miller and team because Von will want to get paid like a DE and not an OLB. Same thing that happened with Suggs and the Ravens a couple years ago. Then the Broncos will have to outbid teams for Osweiler. They could easily use up their entire cap on those two players alone. I still think Ware would agree to a paycut to stay there though.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I do know that the Cowboys have less than $1 mil in dead money. Also they could clear as much as $80 mil if the really wanted to. I doubt they clear that much space though. No sense in reworking Romo's contract.

Dead money isn't the problem for Dallas. The problem is the team has a disproportionate amount of cap dollars tied up in the form of previously prorated base salaries.

They have a cap total of $146.1M right now (team cap of $158.8M) and only $105.2M in cash spending. That's $41M in cap space that is attributed to prorated bonus money and dead money. They only have $900K in dead money so $40M of their salary cap is comprised solely of cap charges that are a result of prorated money. That would be 2nd highest total in the NFL with only Baltimore having more. The Ravens have $500K more than Dallas.

The league average is $17M. Well above average and the number is a bit shocking considering that we are now 2 (maybe 3 seasons) into the new and improved Jerry Jones cap management era.

They have to sign both Osweiler AND Von. Von will get franchised. I'm betting there will be a fight between Von Miller and team because Von will want to get paid like a DE and not an OLB. Same thing that happened with Suggs and the Ravens a couple years ago. Then the Broncos will have to outbid teams for Osweiler. They could easily use up their entire cap on those two players alone. I still think Ware would agree to a paycut to stay there though.

Only if they structure Osweiler's contract to do so. They could overpay him by a mile, take a small cap charge this year and then take large cap charges starting next year when they have free space currently projected at $86M

They could hand each of those guys 5 year, $80M deals. Take $8M in cap hits in year 1 and $18M in cap charges for the remainder of the contract for each guy. That'd leave them with $11M this year and $50M next year.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dead money isn't the problem for Dallas. The problem is the team has a disproportionate amount of cap dollars tied up in the form of previously prorated base salaries.

They have a cap total of $146.1M right now (team cap of $158.8M) and only $105.2M in cash spending. That's $41M in cap space that is attributed to prorated bonus money and dead money. They only have $900K in dead money so $40M of their salary cap is comprised solely of cap charges that are a result of prorated money. That would be 2nd highest total in the NFL with only Baltimore having more. The Ravens have $500K more than Dallas.

The league average is $17M. Well above average and the number is a bit shocking considering that we are now 2 (maybe 3 seasons) into the new and improved Jerry Jones cap management era.

Only if they structure Osweiler's contract to do so. They could overpay him by a mile, take a small cap charge this year and then take large cap charges starting next year when they have free space currently projected at $86M

They could hand each of those guys 5 year, $80M deals. Take $8M in cap hits in year 1 and $18M in cap charges for the remainder of the contract for each guy. That'd leave them with $11M this year and $50M next year.

Do you think Von "settles" for $80 mil? According to what Von has been saying he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. That means more than the $100 mil Miami have to Suh.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Do you think Von "settles" for $80 mil? According to what Von has been saying he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. That means more than the $100 mil Miami have to Suh.

That's not really the point. The point is they would be handing out $160M in contracts and still have $11M in cap space. You can structure contracts however you want.

Hell, franchise tag him and lower Osweiler's first year cap number. They have plenty of cap space in the future to take low hits for 2016. If they run out of cap dollars it will be because they structured the contracts in that manner.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That's not really the point. The point is they would be handing out $160M in contracts and still have $11M in cap space. You can structure contracts however you want.

Hell, franchise tag him and lower Osweiler's first year cap number. They have plenty of cap space in the future to take low hits for 2016. If they run out of cap dollars it will be because they structured the contracts in that manner.

If the size of the contract doesn't matter then couldn't any team do that regardless of the cap?

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If the size of the contract doesn't matter then couldn't any team do that regardless of the cap?

Do what? Structure a contract to have a low cap charge in year 1 and higher cap charges in years 2 through 5?

Yes.

How contracts are structured is entirely up to whatever agreements the team makes with the player.

Teams absolutely can take small charges upfront if they want. They just have to be aware that they'll have less cap space in future.

Would taking a cap charge of $20M in year 2 of Von Miller's contract make sense if it meant the team only took a $5M charge in year 1?

Depends. To the team who has $20M in projected space for 2017 before signing Miller, probably not. Denver however, has $86M in cap space for 2017 right now.

Teams can more or less structure contracts how they want.

Top Bottom