sbk92

Reaction score
When you have 3 rounds on 1 day over the weekend then rounds 2-3 dont get their share of attention. All anyone will want to talk about is Cam Newton.

When you give the 1st round its own stage on 1 night then let everyone digest it for a day then the rounds 2-3 can get their own share of attention. Theres less pressure on the TV people to keep rehashing the events of R1 since it has already had its time.

And nobody cares that they lost 5 minutes in the 1st round. Jerry, biggest trade-whore there is, said 15 minutes was unnecessary b/c of all the posturing that was going on. It cut down on the BS.

Put it this way, it gives you more time to listen to your Taylor Hicks

You can't convince me that shortening the draft, less draft, is a good thing. If you got bored watching, watch something else. Don't dumb down my draft experience. Anybody with a clue about what's going on knows there's no dead time. You just can't see the action in the war rooms.

Less draft.

During the work week.

And that's a good thing?

Who are we appealing to? Draftniks? Or casual football fans?

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm sure glad the 1st round can breathe now.

And it's about damn time the 2nd and 3rd rounds get some attention.

sbk92

Reaction score
I love that excuse in defense of the changes. That douchebag ESPN's Mike Greenberg used it at the time. Well thank God we won't have to sit through 5 hours of a first round anymore. That was awful.

Yes. So awful that over the last 15 years of 5 hour first rounds, the ratings for the NFL Draft shot through the roof. People really couldn't stand it.

Reaction score
Last year there was basically no commercials in the first 10-12 picks b/c the action and interviews were coming in so quickly.

Push it to 15 minutes again and they will just go to commercials.

Anticipation is known to produce equal amounts of enjoyment as the thing you crave. But dont pretend like those 5 minutes of commercials for each pick is necessary. DVR it and pause it for 5 minutes at each slot if you are that simple.

Reaction score
Combining both the ESPN and NFL Network coverage, the first round of the NFL Draft averaged a monster 8.3 million viewers and a 3.7 adults 18-49 rating, which *in total* beat the 18-49 rating of the #1 broadcast show last night, Survivor. Even by itself, the ESPN Draft coverage topped CBS‘ 18-49 overall primetime rating (although the ESPN average covered more than primetime

The overnight ratings for the first NFL draft in prime time were up 30 percent from last year.
ESPN had a 5.47 rating, and NFL Network posted 0.95. The overnight rating was 55 percent higher than the 2008

Oh noes. What about this one dude in the east coast who cant stay up until 11:30 to see the Packers pick at 32?

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
I hope the play clock gets reduced to 15 seconds...

Having the Super Bowl on a Thursday would be pretty sweet, too.

Reaction score
The only gripe I had about the draft when it was on during the weekend (and this might still occur, I don't remember last year) was that usually on the second day, the picks many of the times wouldn't even get announced. The talking heads would spend so much time talking about what happened the previous day, that what the teams were currently doing in the later rounds was many times an after thought, and I wouldn't find out who drafted who until they threw a recap of the previous 5-10 picks on the screen.

Every change to the draft made since Goodell has taken over has been for the worse, IMO.

sbk92

Reaction score
Obviously you're gonna get the best ratings in primetime. Thanks for the enlightenment there, Sherlock.

sbk92

Reaction score
Red flag on Fairley.

He was on NFLN's set tonight and tried about four or five times to say "preparation" and couldn't spit it out. He ended up moving on with a bastardized version of the word.

Hey, that stuff matters to me.

sbk92

Reaction score
I hope the play clock gets reduced to 15 seconds...

Having the Super Bowl on a Thursday would be pretty sweet, too.

He can't tell me why it had to be shortened. Other than he thought it was too long.

My point is if most fans felt that way, the ratings wouldn't have gone up every year. The NFL Draft wouldn't be what it is today.

If you're bored while that clock's ticking, might I suggest knitting?

Reaction score
Sometimes I like to watch the Dark Knight but I pause it and start watching commercials a bunch of times.....so it lats longer.

Then about halfway through it it is my hope that the characters run out of bad guys to fight and start talking about Cam Newton for the 11th time

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
lol we live in the time where attention spans are getting shorter and shorter, so it only makes sense to shorten the 1st round, except to sbk, because he's ****ing stupid as ****.

sbk92

Reaction score
Sometimes I like to watch the Dark Knight but I pause it and start watching commercials a bunch of times.....so it lats longer.

Then about halfway through it it is my hope that the characters run out of bad guys to fight and start talking about Cam Newton for the 11th time

As if the NFL merely cut out commercials. What an idiotic comment.

That's what they did, gang. They just cut out all the commercials and moved it to primetime. lol

sbk92

Reaction score
What kind of football fan actually complains about the draft being too long?

Get the dick out of your mouth and enjoy the process.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Says the man who probably spends most of the draft telecast ejaculating to Mels' analysis and reviews. No wonder he wants to keep the length the same. Anymore cutting of the time is gonna upset the old queen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
29822_soul-patrol-taylor-hicks-does-a-crowd-pleasing-number.jpg

C

Cr122

Red flag on Fairley.

He was on NFLN's set tonight and tried about four or five times to say "preparation" and couldn't spit it out. He ended up moving on with a bastardized version of the word.

Hey, that stuff matters to me.

So what, look at Emmitt Smith.

Retards can play football.

Top Bottom