sbk92

Reaction score
Latest on Locker

Dave "Softy" Mahler of KJR AM 950 in Seattle, best known for hosting the show in which Jim Mora got himself fired from the Atlanta Falcons, has covered the University of Washington Huskies virtually since birth. He grew up cheering for them in the Seattle area, he has said that if it were up to him his daily radio show would be all Husky football all the time, and he's part of KJR's pre- and post-game coverage of Husky games every Saturday in the fall. Few media members are so tight with the Husky program.

Which is why Softy's latest Tweet caught our attention. As Softy notes, NFL teams call schools for info on players before the draft, looking for any and all input they can find. "Team asking UW for most info on Locker?" Softy asks. "Minnesota."

If the Minnesota Vikings are the team most desperate for Locker, they'll likely have to trade into the later part of the first round to get him -- there's no guarantee he'll fall to them at the 11th pick of the second round (43rd overall). But at least they know he looks good in purple.

sbk92

Reaction score
Idea at number 27

In his latest mock draft, D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution projects the Atlanta Falcons to take Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph with the 27th pick of the first round. That would mean the Falcons would ignore the more pressing need for a pass rusher, but it would give them a chance to find a long-term replacement for a future Hall of Famer in Tony Gonzalez who has already been discussing retirement.

For his part, ESPN analyst Chris Mortensen says the Falcons have been doing "due diligence" on Rudolph, and that he can see the Falcons making the pick, depending on how the draft plays out.

ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinkas agrees:

--

Pat Yasinkas

Makes some sense.

"Although most experts see the Falcons taking a defensive end or wide receiver, I'm not seeing one there I really like as Ledbetter's draft shakes out. It wouldn't surprise me if the Falcons take Rudolph as the heir apparent to Tony Gonzalez."

sbk92

Reaction score
Kerrigan in powder blue?

In his latest mailbag, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune discussed Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan, and whether he'll be playing with a lightning bolt on his helmet this fall.

One reader asked if the Chargers would trade into the top 15 picks of the draft to ensure that they would land Kerrigan. "I don't think they'll trade up at that spot," Acee writes. "Too many other things to do and too many good players to be had at No. 18. However, AJ Smith is prone to surprising us that way."

Acee does add a side note about Kerrigan: "I've participated in four mock drafts so far. I've only been able to take Kerrigan in the first one. He's been gone by 18 in the other three. I've taken J.J. Watt in two and Aldon Smith in one (Watt was off the board)."

sbk92

Reaction score
Bowers and the Bucs

In his latest chat, ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinkas answered a question from a reader on whether the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would select Da'Quan Bowers if concerns about the Clemson defensive end's knee push him down to the Bucs at number 20. The reader points out that Bowers was once considered a top-five talent, and would be a gamble worth the risk for Tampa Bay at that spot. Yasinkas compares Bowers to another defensive end who slid down the board on draft day before landing in Tampa Bay, where he and the team had more than a little success:

--

Pat Yasinkas

Will Bowers wear pewter?

"Depends on his knee. But this is sort of like when Warren Sapp came out. Sapp was initially considered No. 1 overall pick and, then, he fell. Bowers was considered No. 1 by a lot of people early on and it looks like he's falling."

sbk92

Reaction score
Panthers bluffing?

Where there's smoke, there's fire, right? But what if there's just ... smoke and mirrors?

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post makes the case that the Carolina Panthers secretly hope to trade out of the number-one overall pick in the draft, and their supposed interest in Cam Newton is merely a bargaining ploy, an attempt to convince other teams that if they want Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, it'll cost them dearly to get him.

"Is it possible that after months of interviews, film study and due diligence the Panthers are still undecided on which player to draft?" Fortenbaugh asks.

"Or, do they want everyone to think they?re targeting Cam Newton so that some other quarterback-starved team in love with the Heisman Trophy winner will pick up the phone, call general manager Marty Hurney and make him an offer he can?t refuse?

"Remember, Carolina doesn?t have a second-round pick in this year?s draft. After that first selection, Hurney and the Panthers won?t go on the clock again until the start of the third round. In addition, this is a team that went 2-14 last season and fired longtime head coach John Fox. New boss Ron Rivera won?t be expected to make the playoffs in 2011, so why not try to trade down, stockpile draft picks and begin the rebuilding process?"

sbk92

Reaction score
Bengals' second-round QB options

Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests that the Cincinnati Bengals will not spend the fourth pick in the draft on a quarterback unless Cam Newton falls into their laps. With Newton realistically off the table and Carson Palmer packing his bags and heading home, it's imperative that the Bengals find a passer in the second round.

For Reedy, there are two options: TCU's Andy Dalton and Florida State's Christian Ponder.He calls them the best fits for the West Coast offense the Bengals will run in 2011.

Reedy then does a detailed breakdown of the two quarterbacks, giving Dalton the edge in arm strength, but finds Ponder superior in accuracy and pocket presence. He grades them evenly in leadership and the ability to read defenses.

ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker says that if it comes down to one of these two players, the Bengals would prefer Dalton:

--

James Walker

Dalton's the pick.

"Both quarterbacks could be targets if Cincinnati decides to search for a quarterback in the second round. Each player has their flaws, but accuracy could be something to set Dalton apart in the Bengals' eyes, especially in a West Coast offense."

sbk92

Reaction score
Concern on Quinn

UNC defensive end prospect Robert Quinn has been linked with a number of teams near the top of the draft order; it's almost as though he and Da'Quan Bowers are on parallel, opposite paths as the night of Apr. 28 gets closer.

But Quinn, like every other prospect, is not without faults. Dan Pompei of National Football Post touched base with his scouting sources around the league in coming up with a list of players who might not hit the ground running as a rookie, and both Quinn and teammate Marvin Austin were amongst those identified in such a way.

"Both of the gifted defensive linemen from North Carolina also might not be overnight sensations," Pompei writes. "Quinn and Austin both sat out the 2010 season and don't have a lot of college experience. Quinn needs to add to his moves and learn to play lower, according to one scout."

For any NFL team, adding an edge-rusher falls somewhere on the continuum between "absolute need" and "nice luxury," so Quinn is a target for all 32 franchises, to some degree. But in addition to learning some new moves, there is another shortcoming to his game, according to his Scouts, Inc. profile:

--

Scouts, Inc.: Robert Quinn

Instincts an issue

"Good overall effort. On the field a good portion of UNC's defensive snaps in 2009 and rarely spot him taking a play off on film. Plays hard and is disciplined. Instincts are below average, though. Frequently late locating the ball, especially versus the run."

sbk92

Reaction score
The Giants and Ingram

The speculation on where running back prospect Mark Ingram will be drafted is partially influenced by the idea that running backs are no longer worth a first-round investment, given the committee approach taken by most teams. One team that's been a practitioner of such an approach in recent seasons is the New York Giants, and Ingram has been linked to the team on numerous occasions.

In an article published on Sunday, Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post raised the Emmitt Smith comparison -- something we've heard frequently -- and considered whether the Giants would pick him at No. 19 overall.

"[The Giants] have put a priority on re-signing Ahmad Bradshaw (even with his fumbling woes) but might be nearing the end of their rope with the moody, injury-prone Brandon Jacobs," Hubbuch speculated. "Ingram would look really nice here if he lasts that long."

It's true that Ingram could become a productive back for the Giants. But the team must weigh that idea against grabbing some new blood on the offensive line (a big need) or defensive line (less of a need, but still a logical move). This is not to say that they'll forego drafting an RB entirely, but they have had success developing mid- to late-round backs: Bradshaw was a seventh-rounder (No. 250 overall) and Jacobs was a fourth-rounder (No. 110 overall).

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
Has mention been made yet about the bullshit of this Thursday/Friday draft lineup?

sbk92

Reaction score
But hey, it's fan friendly according to the commish.

Ya know, how nice it is to watch the first round until near midnight on the east coast and then have to get up for work the next day.

That having the whole draft on the weekend thing sucked for fans.

sbk92

Reaction score
I went overboard on books this year. Kiper, Ourlads, PFW, Sporting News, Coyle, the PFW mag, Lindys, USA Today and some magazine I get every year that simply says Pro Football Draft Guide on the cover.

I'm like Mel Gibson's character in Conspiracy Theory when he sees an edition of The Catcher in the Rye. When I see one....I have to buy it. Or I don't feel normal.

sbk92

Reaction score
Bloom_Ben_10.jpg

Reaction score
I love how they chopped it down from 15 minutes to 10. It lets the 1st round breathe and the other rounds can get their attention.

It breaks up the monotony of the drafts from the past.

If you can stay up to midnight every day talking about the draft you can stay up and watch the damn thing

sbk92

Reaction score
The other rounds can get their attention? WTF does that mean?

I hate how they chopped it down. Those 15 minutes were there for a reason. Teams need that time to field calls and make decisions. Don't dumb down the draft for the casual fan.

There was no monotony of the drafts of the past. F the people who get bored. Watch something else. Apparently you're in the minority since the draft grew considerably under the old format. This was Goodell fixing something that wasn't broken again.

He bastardized the best sporting event of the year to get it to primetime. It's all about money. Not fans. 90% of the NFL fan base would rather have the draft on the weekend. I don't know of a single football fan in my area who liked that move. And yet this dipshat tries to sell it as being more fan friendly.

sbk92

Reaction score
This was a league built on drafts twice as long as what we had a few years ago. And yet we have NFL "fanatics" whining about a 5 hour 1st round.

Reaction score
When you have 3 rounds on 1 day over the weekend then rounds 2-3 dont get their share of attention. All anyone will want to talk about is Cam Newton.

When you give the 1st round its own stage on 1 night then let everyone digest it for a day then the rounds 2-3 can get their own share of attention. Theres less pressure on the TV people to keep rehashing the events of R1 since it has already had its time.

And nobody cares that they lost 5 minutes in the 1st round. Jerry, biggest trade-whore there is, said 15 minutes was unnecessary b/c of all the posturing that was going on. It cut down on the BS.

Put it this way, it gives you more time to listen to your Taylor Hicks

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The other rounds can get their attention? WTF does that mean?

I hate how they chopped it down. Those 15 minutes were there for a reason. Teams need that time to field calls and make decisions. Don't dumb down the draft for the casual fan.There was no monotony of the drafts of the past. F the people who get bored. Watch something else. Apparently you're in the minority since the draft grew considerably under the old format. This was Goodell fixing something that wasn't broken again.

He bastardized the best sporting event of the year to get it to primetime. It's all about money. Not fans. 90% of the NFL fan base would rather have the draft on the weekend. I don't know of a single football fan in my area who liked that move. And yet this dipshat tries to sell it as being more fan friendly.

F that, remember when the Vikings almost ran 15 minutes off the draft clock when they drafted Bryant McKinnie?

Top Bottom