Will and should the Cowboys obtain Adrian Peterson?

• The Cowboys will obtain Peterson and it'll turn out to be a bad move for the team.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Cowboys won't obtain Peterson, but I definitely think they should.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
There's nothing at all to indicate that, besides the one year wonder of last season. Basic, core philosophies don't change - they get put on the back burner due to circumstances such as Tony's back issues.

Well, we just disagree. Success has a way of changing behavior and philosophies.

Garrett's butt was on the line last year. He knew it. Everyone knew it. And that running game is precisely what saved his butt.

People can argue that Garrett isn't nearly as smart as he's said to be and that very well may be true, but I do not believe that Garrett would be so stupid so as to not notice that the running game was critical to his team's success.

Even if it were blind luck and pure circumstance that caused Garrett and company to stumble upon an effective offensive strategy, it doesn't mean that Garrett and company will abandon the effective strategy. If anything, a bad coach would cling to an effective strategy as if it were a life-preserver. (Actually, that running game was Garrett's life-preserver).

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hell to the fuck no. I wouldn't give more than a 4th at best.

Amen brother, Midswat would get his clock cleaned at the poker table playing like that.

Minny is bluffing in order to try and extract something for AP!! They ain't paying AP 13 mill this year and no other team will give Minny a high draft pick and pay through the nose in salary. Therefore, AP would have to agree to restructure which I think his agent is smart enough to tell him not to do. This forces Minny to pay him 13 mill or release him and then he can go wherever he wants.

All Dallas has to do is not panic. then just sit and wait for AP to be released and see if they can get him to sign a team friendly deal with incentives, if not, pass and move on down the road.

Its remarkable to me this isn't obvious to everyone

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well, we just disagree. Success has a way of changing behavior and philosophies.

Garrett's butt was on the line last year. He knew it. Everyone knew it. And that running game is precisely what saved his butt.

People can argue that Garrett isn't nearly as smart as he's said to be and that very well may be true, but I do not believe that Garrett would be so stupid so as to not notice that the running game was critical to his team's success.

Even if it were blind luck and pure circumstance that caused Garrett and company to stumble upon an effective offensive strategy, it doesn't mean that Garrett and company will abandon the effective strategy. If anything, a bad coach would cling to an effective strategy as if it were a life-preserver. (Actually, that running game was Garrett's life-preserver).
This completely discounts that Garrett SHOULD have already known this, having been on this team backna day with Emmitt and co.

Somewhere between then and when he came back, he adopted the Coryell scheme as his core philosophy and believes in it. The Coryell scheme doesn't allow for 400 carries.

Tony is the star, he is the one we are invested in, and he will be back healthy. He will get 550-600 pass attempts and we will run the ball anywhere between 250 and 350 times. This is Garrett's history, prior to last year's aberration. This is what he does. Running the ball, ain't.

The FIRST thing these Air Coryell guys say about last year's running game? "You can't rely on it."

You actually TRUST this incompetent fuck?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Peterson were released and wouldn't break the bank to sign, I would be more interested.

Really don't want us trading any picks to acquire him, especially since we'd be lucky to get 1 or 2 good years out of him at best.

30+ RB's arnt normally overly productive regardless of how good a teams OL is.

Reaction score
But AD isn't normal...

I agree with you (and others) that the acquisition has to be at a reasonable price.

Also, if the Cowboys were dead set on acquiring Peterson, the Cowboys probably wouldn't have signed McFadden.

My guess is that the Cowboys are hoping it'll work out, but are preparing for other outcomes too.

Reaction score
How can Peterson be the final piece of the puzzle when his predecessor ran for 1,845 yards and 13 TDs? Like 1,900 yards will get us over the hump? If we're gonna add someone and pay him millions of dollars, make sure he plays defense.
Who is out there to add to the defense that is a high dollar guy?

Reaction score
There's nothing at all to indicate that, besides the one year wonder of last season. Basic, core philosophies don't change - they get put on the back burner due to circumstances such as Tony's back issues.
Commitment to the run game goes back to late 2013, when we figured out our high draft pick investments in the OL could grade the road. Drafting Martin only solidified the commitment. And Tony's health is still a concern at age 35, even if his back is better.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
If he is cut I would take a shot at him. He wants to be here and JJ wants him here. I would prefer Gurley. He is the only highly rated back that will not go down on a regular basis with the first contact at the NFL level. The other guys are a crap shoot. You may get James Charles or you may end up with a scrub.

AP would be sweet, but Romo is going to be with us for the next four years... Or we blow up the team in the case of a career ending injury. I would prefer a young guy at RB to help Tony for more than a year or two.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
In regards to Cowboys fans and their wishful thinking that the Vikings have to cut Peterson.....

As of right now this is Minnesota's cap situation:

Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) $9,020,998
Cap Space (w/Top 51) $14,523,920

That's with AP on the roster. With free agency practically over with I think it's safe to say they're gonna remain right around those figures.

What's obvious to me is Minnesota doesn't have to unload AP for cap space. They're in a situation where, if they stand by what they've been saying, they can keep him on roster with plenty of room to spare.

Matter of fact, the vikings can fine AP for missing time. $69K for the mandatory minicamp and $30K per day for each day of training camp missed. Peterson has a $250K workout bonus due which he will forefeit in the event of a holdout. The Vikings can also recover some of the signing bonus and up to the maximum of the prorated signing bonus for that entire year which for Peterson is $2.4mil this season.

Add in the fact that he's already a 30 year old RB and going to be sitting out for a second season in a row if he goes through with this.... Peterson has a lot more to lose which is possibly what's left of his career.

Now, I'm not saying that's what the Vikings are going to do.. Just pointing out that they don't have to cut him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Commitment to the run game goes back to late 2013, when we figured out our high draft pick investments in the OL could grade the road. Drafting Martin only solidified the commitment. And Tony's health is still a concern at age 35, even if his back is better.
It's been documented there was no plan involved in drafting Martin, and there's been no real commitment to the run game until last season, as also documented earlier in the thread. Any pickup of o-line players early in the draft was done to protect Tony, not to have a ground and pound offense.

35 isn't as "old" as it used to be, these players take alot better care of themselves in this day and age.

They will go right back to previous Coryell type pass-first mentality, we'll see Tony if he avoids new injury getting 550-600 pass attempts and we will run the ball anywhere between 250 and 350 times. This is Garrett's history, prior to last year's aberration. This is what he does. Running the ball, ain't. He did it last year because he pretty much HAD to.

It stuns me that anyone trusts these fucks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's been documented there was no plan involved in drafting Martin, and there's been no real commitment to the run game until last season, as also documented earlier in the thread. Any pickup of o-line players early in the draft was done to protect Tony, not to have a ground and pound offense.

35 isn't as "old" as it used to be, these players take alot better care of themselves in this day and age.

They will go right back to previous Coryell type pass-first mentality, we'll see Tony if he avoids new injury getting 550-600 pass attempts and we will run the ball anywhere between 250 and 350 times. This is Garrett's history, prior to last year's aberration. This is what he does. Running the ball, ain't. He did it last year because he pretty much HAD to.

pretty doubtful, but if it makes you feel good to think that go ahead

Reaction score
pretty doubtful, but if it makes you feel good to think that go ahead

It is very rare that teams repeat the exact same success using the exact same means in consecutive years. The element of surprise is probably one of the greatest talents/skills a team can acquire during the offseason. Generally a year of game tape allows most defenses to figure out the weaknesses of an offense or a player so despite the theory that RBs who carry the ball at high levels have a drop off solely because of wear or entropy does not take into account that after enough study time, defenses are generally prepared to stop the offense that features that back. Last season Dallas was not projected to be a strong running team, and even Jerry said the defense was going to need to offense to score a lot of points to help. This team surprised everybody...except the Green Bay playoff game where the element of surprise was hijacked by a coach without a clue.

The 2014-2015 Cowboys were supposed to be a cluster of weaknesses and patchwork on defense and a bunch of talented instruments being mismanaged by a foolish conductor on offense. That was the forecast.

After three years of blundering the running game decisions at crucial moments, even with a RB like Murray who averaged 3.6 to 4 ypc, the opponents of Dallas last year were not expecting the amount of carries that Murray had and were waiting for Jason to regress into his typical game decisions that cost them the seasons for three years prior. But, I believe, The Jones forced their coach in training to use the running plays more than in the past, especially when Murray increased his own success (the stats reveal that his yards after contact were greater than half of his yards per attempt) and garnered a lot of attention. Those who know Razorback football talk about the weekend that Jerry spent picking the brain of Bielema last summer...and how the Dallas running offense somehow resembled the Bielema offense in 2014-2015.

Adrian Peterson would be a new look for the Cowboys offense but he's not the receiver or blocker that Murray was. The offense would change in look and probably success in rushing yards. But keep in mind that while teams that succeed in one style of offense based on a certain combination of players and zeitgeist are rare to repeat the following year with the exact same form of success, teams that lose in a consistent pattern (such as not being able to close a game, keep a lead, Hail Mary, or have three seasons of 8-8), do so because they are not changing and somehow expecting different results when the game tape shows year after year, decade after decade, that this one offensive theory (ie Jason's version of the Coryell) will fail, if not redefined every season, if not every game.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Who is out there to add to the defense that is a high dollar guy?

The horse has left the barn. I can envision a number of defensive additions (or retaining guys like Carter or Durant) had Tony restructured earlier in the FA process.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
pretty doubtful
Hardly. Historically there's precedent. It's actiually VERY doubtful we will see more than 300 carries - entire team - next year.
...forced their coach in training to use the running plays more than in the past, especially when Murray increased his own success (the stats reveal that his yards after contact were greater than half of his yards per attempt) and garnered a lot of attention.
Because.... wait for it - Tony Romo was coming off major invasive lower disc back surgery and his mobility was greatly restricted and this repaired back was still quite tender. Not from any philosophy any of the Joneses or Garrett have about what constitutes winning football.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardly. Historically there's precedent. It's actiually VERY doubtful we will see more than 300 carries - entire team - next year.

Recent history shows we didnt have ANYWHERE close to the OL we have now, nor did they have Romo's situation

Because.... wait for it - Tony Romo was coming off major invasive lower disc back surgery and his mobility was greatly restricted and this repaired back was still quite tender. Not from any philosophy any of the Joneses or Garrett have about what constitutes winning football.

and that hasnt changed genius...he still has a fragile back

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Those who know Razorback football talk about the weekend that Jerry spent picking the brain of Bielema last summer...and how the Dallas running offense somehow resembled the Bielema offense in 2014-2015.
Is that right? I always wondered about that almost as a joke but I didn't know it actually happened. Because yeah, last year looked just like Bielema's offense.

Reaction score
It's been documented there was no plan involved in drafting Martin,
I didn't say there was a plan to draft Martin

and there's been no real commitment to the run game until last season, as also documented earlier in the thread.
Not true... see last 6-7 games when Murray got healthy in 2013.

Any pickup of o-line players early in the draft was done to protect Tony, not to have a ground and pound offense.
You do know OL can do both right? And having a strong running game protects Tony too.

So you're saying we don't have to concern ourselves with our QB who has still had 2 back surgeries in the span of 2 years... because "players take a lot better care of themselves?" You claim last season was all about Tony's back and now this season, nope... back's fine, no concern? Are you always this extreme in your thought process?

They will go right back to previous Coryell type pass-first mentality, we'll see Tony if he avoids new injury getting 550-600 pass attempts and we will run the ball anywhere between 250 and 350 times.
Of course he will avoid injury... cause players take care of themselves better now and stuff... No concern at all.

This is Garrett's history, prior to last year's aberration. This is what he does. Running the ball, ain't. He did it last year because he pretty much HAD to.

Garrett's not calling the plays. Linehan hasn't gone anywhere. The only thing stopping this offense from running the ball more than 300 times would be health of the lead back... and right now we don't really have a lead back. I expect that to be addressed by the time camp rolls around. If we draft a guy high, or trade for AP, etc., then it's 300+ no problem if we avoid injury there.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
and that hasnt changed genius...he still has a fragile back
Everyone does, actually. Tony's surgery has another year to heal and he has another year of rehab for it, under his belt when OTAs start.
Recent history shows we didnt have ANYWHERE close to the OL we have now,
But still somehow managed a good average per rush.
So you're saying we don't have to concern ourselves with our QB who has still had 2 back surgeries in the span of 2 years...
I did not say that at all. I believe this is what Jerruh and CT will be thinking.

If we draft a guy high, or trade for AP, etc., then it's 300+ no problem if we avoid injury there.
300+ for the one, featured guy? Or for the whole team. I am saying that's whole team, regardless of who the back is or how healthy he is. I am saying it's even if Murray had stayed, or if we got Peterson.

Homers really think what we saw offensively last year will continue. It's hilarious. You actually TRUST Jerry and Carrot Top. I don't trust any of them, for shit. We'll find out.

Top Bottom