dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

2014 NFL Draft: Why AJ McCarron is more than a game manager

April 22, 2014 9:49 pm ET

I'm still watching players and this week a few players I studied are worth talking about today.

Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron is considered as a mid- to late-round pick, but after watching the Virginia Tech and Tennessee games I see he has skills that relate to the NFL game. McCarron is better than a game manager, as he is often described.

I watched him throw 22-yard dig routes and back shoulder fades. I watched him escape pressure in the Virginia Tech game and look deep to short and deliver the ball. He throws a catchable ball and reminded me a bit of a Brad Johnson or Matt Schaub with his style. He does some of the subtle things like looking off safeties and lets coverage dictate where to go with the ball.

He could run a traditional NFL offense and I don't think it's fair to group him with former Alabama quarterbacks Greg McElroy or John Parker Wilson.

More film room studies

Virginia left tackle Morgan Moses: I watched Moses in the BYU and Clemson games and at the Senior Bowl. He may not be a first-round selection but I would be surprised if he lasted past the second round. His positives include long arms, height, weight and speed for the position, an ability to get to the second level and a solid run blocker.

His questionable areas include a soft punch, doesn't always drop his weight, and should finish blocks on a more consistent basis. At times he reminds me of Bryant McKinnie and other times, like when he cut a linebacker in the Virginia Tech game, a bit of Russell Okung.

Early in his NFL career he will need help from a chip block or tight end, especially against pass rushers that convert speed to power.

Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Everyone talks about Eric Ebron and Jace Amaro when tight ends are the draft subject, but lurking in the third spot and a solid second-round player is Seferian-Jenkins. He was an impressive interview.

After watching the UCLA and Oregon State games, where he had eight receptions, I came away thinking he may be the most complete and dangerous tight end in the class. His college basketball skills are obvious and unlike most former hoopsters he can block.

If your team needs an all-in-one tight end that can line up next to a tackle or out as a slot or wide receiver this guy is a bargain in the second round. His route running is good enough to play early in the NFL.

Safe picks

The draft process to drawing to a close and there are a number of players I call "safe" -- what you see is what you get and these guys are the whole package. They have talent, technique, work ethic and look like guys who understand how to handle themselves as pros.

I have interviewed well over 100 of the top picks and watched all of them on tape. Here are my top 10 safe picks and there are no quarterbacks in the group:

Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
Zack Martin OT, Notre Dame
Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

The ripple effect

Have you noticed how many teams are picking up the fifth-year option for the first-round players from the 2011 draft? I predicted 20 of the 32 would get the fifth-year option and that spells trouble in a different way for the May 8 draft.

How many teams do you think are going to be willing to give up their low first-round pick and move back into the second round where whoever they draft will be free after three years?

Said one general manager: "Things have changed with all the good players from that 2011 first round and it's going to cost more to get a team to move out now. Back in the old days teams liked to move out of the bottom of the first to avoid the contract expense but now it's reversed."

I just wonder how teams that think they can jump back into the bottom of the first round to draft their QB are going to pull it off?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys need at least three QBs off the board before 16, but might not happen.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys need at least three QBs off the board before 16, but might not happen.

I think it will. Ideally one of the top 4 would be left, and somebody desperate to make a deal would give us a nice package to move down if there wasnt another player we really liked available.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see him being any more successful than any other Saban QB. I am rooting for him to fail mainly because he is a douche.

I think he's alot better than any of those others. He's bigger and has a better arm. He's put up better numbers than the others.

I just see alot of similarities to him now to a guy like Tom Brady when he came out. Similar size, similar arm. Both were good decision makers and both had to live with the "well its because of who's around them" spin. McCarron will almost assureedly be drafted higher than Brady was, but to me they're similar. He also seems to have a similar drive about winning, which I think is a key for QB's.

Not saying he will definitely be Tom Brady, that guy is one of the best ever and obviously he benefitted greatly by landing with Belichick, but I do see some similarities.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I do think he's better than those previous Bama QBs, but not by enough to make him a good NFL QB.

For instance, look at that Sugar Bowl game. When he got some pressure, he pretty much immediately threw the ball away. It's almost like he was trained too well in the Saban "don't ever turn it over" school. In the NFL he'll have to make some tight throws to guys who in college looked covered.

I think he could be one of those guys who hangs around as a backup for a long time, but I don't think he'll ever be a good starter.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I am rooting for him to fail mainly because he is a douche.

Oh yeah

aj-mccarron-waka-flocka-flame-drugs-hat-elite-daily.jpg

McCarron-Tats.jpg

ncf_a_mccc_cr_576x324.jpg

Why do people wear bowties. Wear a fucking tie. You're not 4 years old anymore and the PeeWee Herman look is terrible.

Reaction score
McCarron has bust written all over him. At best he could be a serviceable backup. His body looks weird and distorted.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Raise your hand if you are banging a chick as hot as Katherine Webb?

Mikey, put your GD hand down!

Top Bottom