boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to like him now, must be a reason.

Have you ever watched him? He's a three time college transfer who never stuck it out long enough anywhere (tells me he's not a leader and won't compete) and even his final season was pretty crappy. He also will be 24 years old tomorrow.

He is an arm talent who looks the part physically and too often people fall for that. But it takes more than being able to sling it to be a good QB.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He played for Chryst at Pitt last year who is supposedly Garrett's boo so I could see us (over)drafting Savage.

I liked the idea when it was 7th round talk. Maybe even 5th round, but where they are talking about him now? No thanks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you ever watched him? He's a three time college transfer who never stuck it out long enough anywhere (tells me he's not a leader and won't compete) and even his final season was pretty crappy. He also will be 24 years old tomorrow.

He is an arm talent who looks the part physically and too often people fall for that. But it takes more than being able to sling it to be a good QB.

Saw him play once this year, had never heard of him beforehand.

Really didn't think he'd be picked before the 5th or 6th round when the offseason started, but it seems everyone is getting on his bandwagon now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He played for Chryst at Pitt last year who is supposedly Garrett's boo so I could see us (over)drafting Savage.

I liked the idea when it was 7th round talk. Maybe even 5th round, but where they are talking about him now? No thanks.

Guys on NFLN and NFL Radio were saying 2nd round now, maybe even sneak into late first depending on how run on QB's go.

Since I am reasonably sure they arnt getting that info from the book of Jerry, seems a lot of other people like him

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
and I'd be willing to let them like him that much. No way in hell, with this defense, do I spend a 2nd round pick on a 3rd string QB, who takes his ball and goes home every time he doesn't get his way.

I like the kid but not before Day 3. More than happy to let someone else draft him higher than that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No way in hell, with this defense, do I spend a 2nd round pick on a 3rd string QB,

I am in agreement on this part with one caveat, and that's if they know or believe Romo doesn't have more than a yr or two left because of his back. If that's the case then drafting a talented QB early is really a necessity and would be something that forward thinking franchises would probably do themselves.

If they believe everything is all hunky dory with Romo, then using a pick in the early rounds on a QB doesn't make a lot of sense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Its kind of interesting that unless something happened that didn't get reported, the Cowboys didn't meet or spend any time with guys like Bordles, Savage, Mettenberger , Carr or Jeff Matthews. They apparently did spend some time with guys like Manziel, Murray, Fales, Pachall and Gilbert.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Guys on NFLN and NFL Radio were saying 2nd round now, maybe even sneak into late first depending on how run on QB's go.

Since I am reasonably sure they arnt getting that info from the book of Jerry, seems a lot of other people like him

Mainly because Gil Brandt has been touting him forever.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Its kind of interesting that unless something happened that didn't get reported, the Cowboys didn't meet or spend any time with guys like Bordles, Savage, Mettenberger , Carr or Jeff Matthews. They apparently did spend some time with guys like Manziel, Murray, Fales, Pachall and Gilbert.

I have a feeling if (big if) we take a QB it is someone who we have scouted. And we did sort of show interest in Mettenberger as Callahan was at the LSU pro day (probably to look more at Trai Turner). But yeah, we would certainly telegraph our QB guy. We did the last time we drafted one.

As for the other guys, Murray seemed to have the most serious interest. Then Fales. Manziel just snorted coke off hooker's asses with Jerry. Pachall and Gilbert were almost gimmies as local products.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a feeling if (big if) we take a QB it is someone who we have scouted. And we did sort of show interest in Mettenberger as Callahan was at the LSU pro day (probably to look more at Trai Turner). But yeah, we would certainly telegraph our QB guy. We did the last time we drafted one.

As for the other guys, Murray seemed to have the most serious interest. Then Fales. Manziel just snorted coke off hooker's asses with Jerry. Pachall and Gilbert were almost gimmies as local products.

I would guess the connections to LSU and Pitt might make it a little less of a must to go spend direct time with guys like Mettenberger and Savage, but while there's a lot of stuff for everyone to see on Mettenberger, Savage was pretty much a total unknown till this year.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, with Garrett's buddy Cameron and Jerry's buddy Miles at LSU, we don't even need to personally visit with Mettenberger.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You also have to remember, that we draft guys we don't show much interest in who for whatever reason drop in the draft right into a spot that is too tempting to pass up.

I can't name any off the top of my head, but I'm sure it has happened quite a bit.

Top Bottom