Reaction score
In recent years, offensive tackle has become a sexy position on draft day. In 2008, seven of them were taken in the 1st round. This year, another seven offensive tackles and perhaps eight offensive linemen could hear their names called in the first round -- one in every four picks.

With Dallas needing an offensive tackle and some quality interior line depth for a unit which has four starters aged 32 and over, can the Cowboys afford to go for any position besides offensive line in the first round? I took a look under the hood of last year's Cowboys draft, with a tremendous assist from reader and all-around Cowboys blogs regular Theebs, who produced several high-quality stills and clips from last year's Cowboys war room. They allowed me to reconstruct Dallas' board in toto for the early rounds and show how much the offensive line positions appear to be pushed.

Consequently, the board argues for Dallas, all things being equal, to take an offensive lineman in the 1st round, and perhaps even in the 2nd.

The Cowboys, as I have posted on many occasions, do not build a full board from 1 through 400 or so, which places every available player on its board. Dallas uses a much tighter board, running 120-150 players who fit its systems.

What's more, the Cowboys do not assign 32 first round grades. Their scouts try to determine how many players can start as rookies and make significant contributions. Only those players get 1st round grades. That number is not fixed, because you don't know from year-to-year how many players fit the criteria. I've been told by scouts that it usually runs between 18 to 25 players, depending on the strength of the class.

Their 2nd round grades are players expected to make a contribution as first-year players, either as immediate starters or as key situational players. The middle rounds are players who could become starters in time, but who will need work.

Last year's Cowboys board had 21 visible 1st-round players (a 22nd had his name redacted, for some unknown reason) and 16 with 2nd-round grades. Here are the offensive linemen who drew grades in the first three rounds. Their draft position and team are in parentheses):

1-4 Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma St. (5th - Seahawks)
1-5 Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma (4th -Redskins)
1-10 Mike Iupati, G, Idaho (17th - 49ers)
1-13 Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa (23rd - Packers)
1-18 Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida (18th - Steelers)

(no OL with 2nd round grades)

3-40 Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers (11th - 49ers)
3-56 Roger Saffold, OT, Indiana (33rd -- Rams)
3-62 Jon Asamoah, G, Illinois (68th - Chiefs)
3-65 Zane Beadles, G, Utah (45th - Broncos)

Let's examine the Cowboys' accuracy with these grades. They're not bad. The Cowboys' handed out five 1st-round grades to offensive linemen and every one of them was taken ahead of Dallas' pick at 24. A sixth player, Anthony Davis, was drafted much higher than the Cowboys board.

Dallas entered the draft with the 27th pick. When the Packers took Bryan Bulaga with pick 23, the Cowboys had five players left on their board with 1st-grades:

1-12 Dez Bryant, WR
1-14 Sean Lee, LB
1-15 Jared Odrick, DE
1-17 Kyle Wilson, CB
1-19 Navarro Bowman, LB

The Cowboys made a quick jump up to the 24th slot and selected their top remaining player.

Let's move to the 2nd round. Only four offensive linemen were taken there, Roger Saffold at the top of the round, G Zane Beadles at 45, Vladimir Ducasse at 61 and Charles Brown at 64. The only ''miss'' from this list, in terms of the Cowboys board, is Saffold, who was a quality left tackle from day one for the Rams. Ducasse and Brown, however, did not start for their respective teams in 2010. Beadles did start 14 games for Denver, but the Cowboys landed the much higher rated Lee with their 2nd.

It does appear the Cowboys were ''hard graders'' once they got past the top tier. 3rd round grade carriers Davis and Saffold started all year for their teams. Even if you want to argue that the Cowboys should have rated those two higher, its clear the team went with its board, landing two players in the team's top 15.

The bigger lesson for Dallas is that OTs get pushed -- heavily. The team rated Anthony Davis 40th. He went 11th. They rated Saffold 56th. He went 33rd. By the time the Cowboys got a chance to pick for the second time, every OL in their first three rounds was long gone, save for Jon Asamoah. Even if the Cowboys had Roger Saffold rated, say, 20th, they would have had no chance to get him had they simply followed their board. And what self-respecting team spends months creating a board only to ignore it and push needs on draft day?

The Cowboys may have their pick of offensive linemen this year. The Cleveland Browns have scheduled a visit with USC's Tyron Smith, but they are the only team ahead of Dallas openly looking at an O-lineman that high. If the Cowboys choose another type of player, a cornerback or a defensive lineman, they face the risk that the Derek Sherrods, the Gabe Carimis, the Nate Solders and Anthony Castonzos, the Danny Watkins and even the Ben Ijalanas could be long gone by pick 40. There's a stretch of tackle-hungry teams, the Giants, Bucs, Chiefs, Colts, Eagles, Ravens and Bears, who all pick between 19th and 28th. The Redskins, Vikings and Lions, three teams who pick immediately after Dallas, have also scheduled visits with the top-rated Smith, suggesting the OT run could begin much earlier.

The 33 year old Marc Colombo's legs gave way last year. Leonard Davis and Kyle Kosier will both be 33 this year. Andre Gurode just turned 32. Dallas finished the season starting its 3rd quarterback, because the shaky protection got Tony Romo and Jon Kitna injured. If Dallas ignores recent OL history, it risks seeing more pillars of its already-creaky offensive line foundation collapse.

Jason Garrett is a creative guy, but I haven't seen a coach yet who could generate a high-scoring, playoff-ready offense without a line.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jason Garrett is a creative guy, but I haven't seen a coach yet who could generate a high-scoring, playoff-ready offense without a line.

And they need to remember this too before they go another year ignoring this pitiful line.

I mean, Romo had his collarbone broken and we can't convert 3rd and 1's on the ground with any consistency, but yet those idiots in the DFW media still have CB as our biggest need.

CB isn't even a top 3 need, IMO.

It's OT, OG, S, DE, then CB.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I bet that if you compiled a stat of which teams have allowed their RB's to get hit in the backfield the most over the last 2-3 years, the Cowboys would rank amongst the league's worst.

Reaction score
I bet that if you compiled a stat of which teams have allowed their RB's to get hit in the backfield the most over the last 2-3 years, the Cowboys would rank amongst the league's worst.

I think you'd be wrong.

Defenders don't hit Marion Barber. He hits them.

Reaction score
I really hope we stay put and take Tyron.

As much as I love defense, and as much as I think Peterson will be a great player in this league... we need to fix these lines. We can't keep ignoring them.

It's going to be real interesting seeing which way Jason Garret decides to go in his first draft.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I really hope we stay put and take Tyron.

As much as I love defense, and as much as I think Peterson will be a great player in this league... we need to fix these lines. We can't keep ignoring them.

It's going to be real interesting seeing which way Jason Garret decides to go in his first draft.

Peterson is a stud and I think he will be a great player, but it's not what we need right now.

I'm not the biggest Tyron fan, but I wouldn't hate the pick because we would at least be trying to address the line.

My perfect scenario would consist of us finding a trading partner and moving back in the teens while picking up an extra pick or two, and taking Gabe Carimi who is the best run blocker in this draft and has a nastiness to him that this line could use.

Reaction score
I'm not the biggest Tyron fan, but I wouldn't hate the pick because we would at least be trying to address the line.

My perfect scenario would consist of us finding a trading partner and moving back in the teens while picking up an extra pick or two, and taking Gabe Carimi who is the best run blocker in this draft and has a nastiness to him that this line could use.

I'd love both of those scenarios.

If I could choose, I'd pick the latter.

I think Carimi is the safer pick, and getting another selection is icing on the cake. His ceiling might not be as high as Tyron, but I really have no doubt Carimi will be a 10 year starter.

C

Cr122

If we go corner I want to grab one in the later rounds.

I still think we can have a few good years with what we have.

Newman is aging, but Jenkins and Scandrick are good enough, let's concentrate on the trenches in this draft.

Offensive line and defensive line is what we need the most.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If we go corner I want to grab one in the later rounds.

I still think we can have a few good years with what we have.

Newman is aging, but Jenkins and Scandrick are good enough, let's concentrate on the trenches in this draft.

Offensive line and defensive line is what we need the most.

To steal SBK's term, Jerry Jones is a con man and the worst part is that our stupid fanbase eats it up.

He swore that that ONE playoff win would not be enough and that they wouldn't be satisfied or sit on their laurels because of it. He talked all offseason how he wanted the coaches and players to pretend how they hadn't won anything so that they'd still remain hungry.

The problem is that HE didn't take his own advice. He did nothing to help this team get better or keep them motivated. He signed no free agents and didn't do anything to improve an offensive line that was the main culprit in our loss at Minnesota.

Just like when he pulled that ridiculous act when he hired Wade. He weeped and said "We had.to.get.this.right".....oh the drama. But there were his dumb supporters

"You see! Jerry cares!"

The sooner Jerry Jones stops having any say in football matters, the sooner we'll be able to build true contenders.

Reaction score
To steal SBK's term, Jerry Jones is a con man and the worst part is that our stupid fanbase eats it up.

He swore that that ONE playoff win would not be enough and that they wouldn't be satisfied or sit on their laurels because of it. He talked all offseason how he wanted the coaches and players to pretend how they hadn't won anything so that they'd still remain hungry.

The problem is that HE didn't take his own advice. He did nothing to help this team get better or keep them motivated. He signed no free agents and didn't do anything to improve an offensive line that was the main culprit in our loss at Minnesota.

Just like when he pulled that ridiculous act when he hired Wade. He weeped and said "We had.to.get.this.right".....oh the drama. But there were his dumb supporters

"You see! Jerry cares!"

The sooner Jerry Jones stops having any say in football matters, the sooner we'll be able to build true contenders.

A year or so ago, I would have started a long winded debate with you.

I've since jumped off the Jerry band wagon.

Consider yourself lucky.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score

Consider yourself lucky.

I remember that post. It was week 3 or so. You still have a little of that homer smell on you.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Consider yourself lucky.

Watching that crypt keeper squirm as the media hounded him with question after question about how much control he'd give his head coach at Garrett's introductory PC was awesome.

Best Cowboys moment since beating the Eagles in the playoffs.

Reaction score
I remember that post. It was week 3 or so. You still have a little of that homer smell on you.

You're mistaken. We won week three, and at that time I was still starting threads trying to illustrate to my fellow board members how we'd end up with the #1 seed in the NFC.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And they need to remember this too before they go another year ignoring this pitiful line.

I mean, Romo had his collarbone broken and we can't convert 3rd and 1's on the ground with any consistency, but yet those idiots in the DFW media still have CB as our biggest need.

CB isn't even a top 3 need, IMO.

It's OT, OG, S, DE, then CB.

This is exactly how I have it in priority.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is exactly how I have it in priority.

Smart man.

Our corners struggled a bit, but there is talent and ability there so I think they can bounce back, especially Jenkins.

Safety is the much bigger issue and I guarantee you that the corners would magically look better if we had some decent safety play behind them for once.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Watching that crypt keeper

lol

Welcome,Sir.

cryptjones.jpg

It's uncanny!

sbk92

Reaction score
The Cowboys, as I have posted on many occasions, do not build a full board from 1 through 400 or so, which places every available player on its board. Dallas uses a much tighter board, running 120-150 players who fit its systems.

What's more, the Cowboys do not assign 32 first round grades. Their scouts try to determine how many players can start as rookies and make significant contributions. Only those players get 1st round grades. That number is not fixed, because you don't know from year-to-year how many players fit the criteria. I've been told by scouts that it usually runs between 18 to 25 players, depending on the strength of the class.

I don't know who wrote this, I'm assuming one of those fake insiders. My sources say....I talked to a scout and.....

But if that's how we grade 1st round picks, we are completely retarded.

Only a douchebag fake GM like Jerry Jones would put so much draft emphasis on instant impact. It's a long term investment and this moron can't see past the first year.

So does this mean almost all QBs can't be first rounders on our board?

Ridiculous. We need another magic bullet in Dallas.

Top Bottom