Iamtdg

Reaction score
Don't get too carried away with how "easy" he'd be to replace.

There a shit ton of good RB's who ran behind great OL's that haven't done what Demarco Murray has done this year.

There's a reason it had been Jim Brown's record for 45+ years.

Passing league. You have ad nauseum said so yourself. We can find another Murray late in the draft.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Murray is 6 foot, 217 and runs a 4.47 40. He's getting all the practice snaps and has the timing down. Plug in just about any other guy of this height/weight and speed caliber and give him the practice reps, and you're right back off to the races.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I feel that if you want to keep up this sort of success, you have to have a RB that defenses will be concerned about. Teams aren't going to fear Joseph Randle and nor should they. Teams will rightfully believe that they can get one of their front 7 to beat our 5 lineman and bring down Randle or Dunbar. Murray isn't going down on initial contact.

Draft-wise we've discussed Gurley (230 lbs.) and Melvin Gordon(210 lbs). TJ Yates(220) might be a guy available in the 2nd round. USC's Buck Johnson(220), Florida State's(220) and Texas's Malcolm Brown(225) are middle round guys.

Some free agents or likely cap casualties we've been linked to or showed interest pre-draft:
Adrian Peterson (217 lbs.)
CJ Spiller (200 lbs.)
Mark Ingram (215)
Darren McFadden (218)

Any of these guys would do well behind this line, and with Romo dishing the ball to guys like Dez, TWill, and Witten.

Just anyone won't cut it.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Murray was a early third rounder.... Pick #71

That's true, but I hate to see them gamble with such an important part of the offense. The other RBs on the team are playing well, but they are not elite at the position. I don't think anybody, including the Cowboys, expected a third round pick to play at an elite level and drafting another elite talent later in the draft would be luck. That is why I would rather see them invest a late 1st or 2nd round pick . An average RB would do good behind this line, but why settle with a good RB when we have seen how much difference a top RB can make?

Reaction score
Just anyone won't cut it.

Very true. The "just anyone" philosophy is what led to Costa at C and Livings at G.

As jnday says, the RB position in this offense is critically important. It would be a mistake to gamble the team's success by trying to make-do with a bargain basement, on-the-cheap option.

Spend a premium pick (1st or 2nd rounder) or pay a little more to get a proven FA.

Top Bottom