LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not retarded enough to call for a bomb on 4th and 2.

Yeah. If there is any shit that irks me about Garrett --- and there's plenty, is that kind of crap would have to be at the top of the list.

Makes no sense. Then he'll do something stupid like this: 3rd and 6... he'll call a play that will net only 3 yards --- something that you would call and should call for 4thand 2.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah. If there is any shit that irks me about Garrett --- and there's plenty, is that kind of crap would have to be at the top of the list.

Makes no sense. Then he'll do something stupid like this: 3rd and 6... he'll call a play that will net only 3 yards --- something that you would call and should call for 4thand 2.

That 4th and 2 play surprised me for sure but was that Garrett, Linehan or Romo? Gutsy throw by Romo and had it not been for a bad call, they might have gone tot he Championship game.

But I do agree that Garrett offers us absolutely nothing on game day. Zilch, zero, nada......

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was a Romo decision to go deep to Dez. He discussed the play in depth.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was a Romo decision to go deep to Dez. He discussed the play in depth.

it was. he was looking his way the entire time. for whatever reason, he wasn't interested in a higher percentage throw to say Beasley or Witten underneath.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
it was. he was looking his way the entire time. for whatever reason, he wasn't interested in a higher percentage throw to say Beasley or Witten underneath.

He was very concerned about a quick throw underneath due to how he read the coverage.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I like the balls of the call, but don't like the gambler's odds. It was frikkin 4th down so that was a feast or famine type deal. All or nothing. It wasn't the time or place for it.
Add to this we hardly ever seem to take advantage of what Troy said he always considered a free play, 2nd and short. THAT is the time for a play-action bomb. And we never do it.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dez has had more than one last-play, win-lose reception that was thissss close. Remember the "three fingers out of bounds" non-catch?

But then it is very easy for someone to defend him by simply suggesting, "Well, then maybe you just don't want him to bother trying. Nobody else would have this issue because no one else would have come that close to making such a spectacular catch."

I couldn't argue with that.

Dear Dez,

Your contract means that the Cowboys aren't going to be able to keep one, two, perhaps more talented players. That's okay so long as your efforts, productivity and contribution to the teams success is proportional to your share of the cap.

You now get paid about 10% of your teams total 143.25 million dollar salary cap. 10% of the team represents about five and a half players, which is only disproportional if you contribute less than 10% to the team's success.

Big check = Big responsibility = No more close, almost, should have been scenarios. The Hall of Fame is composed of receivers that made those catches, nobody remembers the "almost" guys.

.....and stop behaving like a rock star, start behaving like an jnvestment banker. 70% of NFL players are broke three years after they play their last season. It's typically the guys that never considered their college scholarship as an opportunity to obtain a quality education. They squander their money with the help of opportunistic "friends" and family that are only there to feed off a players brief success.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It didn't work. The gamble was lost. Pass incomplete.

It was a great throw and was caught. It was overturned on the basis of pure ignorance.

Even the guy guarding Bryant thought it was a catch.

That said, its an idiotic take to criticize the play at all. The coaches dont force the QB to throw to one guy, the QB decides where to go.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It was a great throw and was caught. It was overturned on the basis of pure ignorance.

Even the guy guarding Bryant thought it was a catch.
I've said all of this repeatedly. But it was a low percentage play and a gamble that on the record, failed. It failed. Doesn't matter the reason.
That said, its an idiotic take to criticize the play at all. The coaches dont force the QB to throw to one guy, the QB decides where to go.
It's not idiotic to say "look, it's fourth fucking down and we need two yards, and all you have for me is a riverboat, low percentage gamble?"

It doesn't matter who's idea or decision it was. At that point in the game was not the time or place for that particular roll of the dice.

I'd still be saying that even without the horrible call. Troy Aikman said it too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've said all of this repeatedly. But it was a low percentage play and a gamble that on the record, failed. It failed. Doesn't matter the reason.

Might want to look at the numbers involving Romo throwing to Dez in 1 on 1 coverage and get back to us know that low percentage gamble thing.

It's not idiotic to say "look, it's fourth fucking down and we need two yards, and all you have for me is a riverboat, low percentage gamble?"

It doesn't matter who's idea or decision it was. At that point in the game was not the time or place for that particular roll of the dice.

I'd still be saying that even without the horrible call. Troy Aikman said it too.

Its idiotic because Dez wasnt the only receiver in the pattern. There were other guys out there, Romo decided to go after the 1 on 1 coverage with the best player on our offense. He threw a great pass, it was caught. It was overturned despite not following their own rules about how to overturn a call.

If nobody else went out for a pass on that play and the history of Romo to Dez in one on one covwrage was poor, then you'd have a point.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Its idiotic because Dez wasnt the only receiver in the pattern. There were other guys out there, Romo decided to go after the 1 on 1 coverage with the best player on our offense. He threw a great pass, it was caught. It was overturned despite not following their own rules about how to overturn a call.

If nobody else went out for a pass on that play and the history of Romo to Dez in one on one covwrage was poor, then you'd have a point.
So, it matters not at all that it was 4th and 2 and all we had was riverboat. Tony didn't look anywhere else to go with the ball. He said so.
Might want to look at the numbers involving Romo throwing to Dez in 1 on 1 coverage and get back to us know that low percentage gamble thing.
We're not talking little dumpoffs here. We're talking bombs. So what you're looking for is, Romo to Dez, 45+ yards ball in the air (not catch a short one and run), with Dez in single coverage. Study up and post the results. In the NFL, that is a low percentage play.
There were other guys out there
None of which were even looked at. But, that's not even the point. We needed 2 yards to keep a crucial drive alive. Didn't get it.
He threw a great pass, it was caught.
He threw a pass Dez had to stop for, otherwise it IS caught and the defender isn't a factor. Dez goes into the end zone standing up, with a great pass..

It's part of the record: The pass was incomplete. It does not matter why. We took a gamble, rolled the dice, and lost.

Reaction score
FFS you act like Romo doesn't make any reads before the snap. He didn't look to throw anywhere else because his pre-snap reads showed Dez in one-on-one with no safety over the top and the coverage sagging towards the short routes.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
FFS you act like Romo doesn't make any reads before the snap. He didn't look to throw anywhere else because his pre-snap reads showed Dez in one-on-one with no safety over the top and the coverage sagging towards the short routes.
Not sure where you're getting that idea at all. All I did was relate what Tony said. He was looking for Dez all the way, and more to your point exactly as he should have with the play that was called and what was out there.

MY beef is, it's 4th down. Do or die. We uncork a bomb. We lose the game. Why is it a empty backfield, 'check with me' play anyway? That's called by Linehan, right? The players executed what was called.

How does it make any sense to have the NFL's leading rusher watching from the sideline, on 4th and 2? At the very least he should have been out there as a threat.

I don't like the call. And, it did not work. I still wouldn't like it if it DID work and would be saying so, but would also be saying "we won the gamble" and would have been doing cartwheels.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
nfl.nfc.divisional.2015.01.11.cowboys.vs.packers.720p.hdtv.x264-bajskorv.mkv_007308770.jpg

my only issue is that if you see one-on-one coverage and only need two yards, a slant or a comeback route would seem a safer option than a bomb. throwing deep in that situation certainly had the element of surprise, but I would have preferred a higher percentage pass.

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 6.35.44 PM.jpg

Dunbar and Beasley were open. I think i would have looked for Beasley, he always wins one on one match ups. It’s easy to pick apart plays. Romo just decided he was going to Dez.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo just decided he was going to Dez.
Like I said I admire the balls, but not the calls. Gimme this on 3rd and 2 and I'm not nearly as much against it - because if it doesn't pay off, you have another chance. 4:41 left in the game, we really really needed that first down.

Top Bottom