dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry spun some things post draft. It was widely reported there was a split with the scouts wanting Ramsey and the coaches wanted Elliott.

Jerry also made up that the Ravens wanted Elliott so that fanboys everywhere would feel better about themselves. It apparently worked.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry made up the shit about the Ravens wanting Zeke, but I do believe they had Zeke rated higher than Ramsey. Apparently Dallas wasn't the only team either, as San Diego decided to pass on him too for Bosa.

Jones really didn't need to make shit up about the Zeke thing. He just needs to call it what it was. Baltimore would only offer their 4th rd pick to more up, and that's nowhere near the value they should have gotten back. The risk of potentially losing Zeke and Ramsey (and Bosa, who went 3rd) wasn't worth it for just the 4th.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Throw in the no-good Patriots were going to draft Jaylon Smith lie and it goes to show you that Jerry is so insecure that he needs to justify all of his picks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Throw in the no-good Patriots were going to draft Jaylon Smith lie and it goes to show you that Jerry is so insecure that he needs to justify all of his picks.

So many national people reported it, that part was probably true.

Still, it doesn't excuse taking him at 34. They clearly could have traded down and stayed ahead of the Pats and got him. I cant believe Belichick would have traded up to get him from the bottom of round two. Reportedly we had potential trade down deals with the Bears and Colts (IIRC), both of those were well ahead of the Pats picks.

Really hope JS makes full recovery and turns into an all pro, but taking him at 34 was stupid.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

I want to hear it from the Pats themselves. Until then, it's self-serving bullshit.

Reaction score
Agree with Sturm, but I wish I liked Ramsey as much as he did, and Henry as a top pick in the 2nd seems kinda high.

This is all so tough. We all know now where Henry was actually taken, but we didn't know before. Some mocks had Henry being taken by the Panthers in the 1st round.

The Cowboys chased several QB's this draft, but for better or for worse, they missed on 2 or 4 of them (depending on when you start the count) and ended up with Prescott in the 4th round.

In last year's draft, the Cowboys somehow got shut out of the RBs in a so-called RB rich draft, despite having a need to replace Murray.

This year at the top of the 2nd round, the Cowboys went with a great LB who had lost his nerve (only temporarily we hope) after missing out on a couple of targeted DLs just picks before.

Point is, so much of this is a crap shoot. Fact is, this stuff is difficult to predict beforehand.

So even though I'd have preferred Henry in the 2nd round and a premium (healthy) defensive player at #4, I'm simply relieved that the Cowboys managed to get a truly top notch RB out of this draft in Elliott. He's a pivotal player. Critical to the offense. A Near-Beer version just wouldn't have been the same.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A few people have come out and said no truth to it.

Yeah, like Brian Broaddus right? His track record is what, shit?

I bet Mike Fischer will be next to report on it, he has a really strong track record too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Thats what I remembered you saying so I was surprised to hear you were positively commenting on Zeke given your perspective about Garrett
The two topics aren't related. Zeke is what he is and Ginger is what she is.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dooms nails another one. Only someone drunk or with no brain would think they seriously just spent the 4th pick of the draft on the guy and would use him as a guy that might get half the opps.
The bolded is Jerry and Ginger exactly, in that order.

BUT, I never said what you assert. I said IT REMAINS TO BE SEEN what they will actually do with him. I make no assumptions - other than defaulting to their past patterns. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we see Zeke as a cog in a RBBC situation. I would be pleasantly surprised if we instead see Zeke getting 300 carries as a 3-down featured back.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I meant your perspective that Garrett doesn't want to run the ball, not your other opinions about him
You said:
I was surprised to hear you were positively commenting on Zeke given your perspective about Garrett
And i responded to that. I don't understand I guess, what you're asking. Why would I not have positive comments about Zeke?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You said:
And i responded to that. I don't understand I guess, what you're asking. Why would I not have positive comments about Zeke?

because if your assertion that Garrett refuses to run the ball is correct, there's no point in drafting Zeke

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
because if your assertion that Garrett refuses to run the ball is correct, there's no point in drafting Zeke
We have to have faith there's been a sudden epiphany that run first is the way to go therefore we draft a RB in the first round, when actually we could have kept the league rushing champ.

What, 4-12 had impact? They don't think that was just a bad luck injury fluke?

Anyhow none of this correlates to me saying good things about Zeke. I've also already said that pick was more about Jerry grabbing candy off the eye level shelf and leaving the roast beef on the top shelf out of the shopping cart.

I never said I was a big fan of the pick. But it is what it is.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I want to hear it from the Pats themselves. Until then, it's self-serving bullshit.

I have no doubt that the Pats were going to go after him late in the 2nd. They have skins on the wall though and can afford to that that risk. The Cowboys don't. I would have preferred one of the Bama DT's instead of Smith. And I still would have drafted Tapper and Collins.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So now Garrett is in charge of making draft picks again?

Dooms is right. Out of five years of data as a head coach and four more more as oc, why would you believe the one or two years over the other seven or eight?

No, this way Jerry gets his sizzle/"wow player" and quicker impact. But I don't doubt Garrett wanted the rb over the db. Now he literally has all star type talent at every single position on offense. And he loves to prop himself about how good we've been on offense "around here" since he took over. Let Rod keep trying to make chicken salad on the other side of the ball.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So now Garrett is in charge of making draft picks again?

Dooms is right. Out of five years of data as a head coach and four more more as oc, why would you believe the one or two years over the other seven or eight?

No, this way Jerry gets his sizzle/"wow player" and quicker impact. But I don't doubt Garrett wanted the rb over the db. Now he literally has all star type talent at every single position on offense. And he loves to prop himself about how good we've been on offense "around here" since he took over. Let Rod keep trying to make chicken salad on the other side of the ball.

It was being reported before that Marinelli was one of the coaches that wanted Elliott.

Reaction score
It was being reported before that Marinelli was one of the coaches that wanted Elliott.
I think that's the underreported thing about all this.

Marinelli understands how much a strong running game helps his defense... Probably has for a long time, cause he actually y'know has experience. If I had to guess, he's been banging that drum with Garrett. Sad that our defensive coordinator has to sell the offensive guru/head coach on the importance of a strong running game, but I don't doubt that's the case.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Marinelli understands how much a strong running game helps his defense... Probably has for a long time, cause he actually y'know has experience. If I had to guess, he's been banging that drum with Garrett. Sad that our defensive coordinator has to sell the offensive guru/head coach on the importance of a strong running game, but I don't doubt that's the case.
And that's one point that does give us reasonable reason for a glimmer of hope and optimism, about how they might actually use Zeke.

Top Bottom