C

Cr122

Updated: January 9, 2011, 11:27 AM ET
Nnamdi Asomugha voids contract

By Adam Schefter
ESPN

Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided and now will be allowed to become an unrestricted free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, according to an NFL Players Association document.

Asomugha’s deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn'’t. His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn’t achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.

To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009.

He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn?t have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season.

He will be the top defensive player available whenever free agency begins.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

C

Cr122

If I were Jerry this is one free agent I would pursue.

Imagine him wearing the star.

sbk92

Reaction score
Pass.

You don't get better on defense wasting top free agent dollars on cornerbacks.

C

Cr122

Pass.

I know what your thinking, we need better players up front first, but he's the best corner in the league.

I don't like to use the term shutdown corner, but Nnamdi is definitely one.

sbk92

Reaction score
I know what your thinking, we need better players up front first, but he's the best corner in the league.

I don't like to use the term shutdown corner, but Nnamdi is definitely one.

The salary cap will return this offseason. The money you spend there will effect what you can do at other far more important areas of the football team. It will take a huge mega deal to sign the eyechart.

Cythim

Reaction score
Pass.

When it is the top CB in the league, you do. When your team has to face Nicks/Manningham/Smith and Jackson/Maclin twice a year you need quality CBs. CB is one of the hardest positions to draft well on (at least 30 CBs get selected most years) so if you can get someone of this quality in FA it makes sense to go after him. This isn't DeAngelo Hall signing a deal worth $18M or picking up Asante Samuel after one good season. CBs are getting paid second most behind QBs because of the skill it takes thanks to the new rules. When a guy like this hits the market you sign him.

Unless some other idiot is going to give him an Albert Haynesworth type contract.

sbk92

Reaction score
When it is the top CB in the league, you do. When your team has to face Nicks/Manningham/Smith and Jackson/Maclin twice a year you need quality CBs. CB is one of the hardest positions to draft well on (at least 30 CBs get selected most years) so if you can get someone of this quality in FA it makes sense to go after him. This isn't DeAngelo Hall signing a deal worth $18M or picking up Asante Samuel after one good season. CBs are getting paid second most behind QBs because of the skill it takes thanks to the new rules. When a guy like this hits the market you sign him.

Unless some other idiot is going to give him an Albert Haynesworth type contract.

Negative. The same line of thinking gave you Terence Newman 5th overall.

You don't counter passing attacks with cornerbacks. You do it with front sevens. Because if the QB is comfortable in the pocket and the WRs are of any quality, they'll complete passes all day on any secondary.

sbk92

Reaction score
I know if we don't go after him a team like Washington will.

Let them. They'll have to pay through the nose for him and it'll limit what they can do elsewhere on that defense.

sbk92

Reaction score
Plus, Nnamdi will be 30 years old the start of next season.

You probably have to give him a 4 or 5 year deal at least.

Who the hell wants to pay that kind of money for a 34 or 35 year old cornerback?

It's like people don't learn their lessons from past mistakes.

C

Cr122

Plus, Nnamdi will be 30 years old the start of next season.

You probably have to give him a 4 or 5 year deal at least.

Who the hell wants to pay that kind of money for a 34 or 35 year old cornerback?

It's like people don't learn their lessons from past mistakes.

Damn, I thought he was younger than that, I mean he still has a few really good years left, but I wouldn't want any contract over two years.

He's probably expecting a five to six year contract.

Cythim

Reaction score
Negative. The same line of thinking gave you Terence Newman 5th overall.

You don't counter passing attacks with cornerbacks. You do it with front sevens. Because if the QB is comfortable in the pocket and the WRs are of any quality, they'll complete passes all day on any secondary.

Is that what happened last night against Peyton Manning? The front seven shut down Wayne by sacking Manning once? The secondary and front seven are both important. Asomugha will cause QBs to hesitate and give Ware that extra half second he needs to get pressure on the QB.

That same thinking could've given us Asomugha instead of Newman, but Bill Parcells doesn't have as great a football mind as you.

sbk92

Reaction score
Is that what happened last night against Peyton Manning? The front seven shut down Wayne by sacking Manning once? The secondary and front seven are both important. Asomugha will cause QBs to hesitate and give Ware that extra half second he needs to get pressure on the QB.

That same thinking could've given us Asomugha instead of Newman, but Bill Parcells doesn't have as great a football mind as you.

First, Parcells didn't want Newman. He wanted Kevin Williams. Nobody had Asomugha projected that high. Asante Samuel could have been had too in the first three rounds. Nobody had him that high.

Second, I've heard that secondary giving the front seven more time theory for years. I never see it play out on the field. Coverage sacks are the exception, never the norm. It just doesn't work that way.

All the advantages are on the side of the QB and receiver. They know where they're going. The rules are slanted in their favor. The CB is forced to react. Anytime you react, you're a step slow. A QB/WR combo will beat any secondary if the protection allows it.

Manning just doesn't get sacked. He's the smartest QB in football and gets the ball away to avoid the negative play.

No way in hell would I pay any cornerback in this league top FA money. Especially one about to turn 30.

sdogo

Reaction score
First, Parcells didn't want Newman. He wanted Kevin Williams. Nobody had Asomugha projected that high. Asante Samuel could have been had too in the first three rounds. Nobody had him that high.

Second, I've heard that secondary giving the front seven more time theory for years. I never see it play out on the field. Coverage sacks are the exception, never the norm. It just doesn't work that way.

All the advantages are on the side of the QB and receiver. They know where they're going. The rules are slanted in their favor. The CB is forced to react. Anytime you react, you're a step slow. A QB/WR combo will beat any secondary if the protection allows it.

Manning just doesn't get sacked. He's the smartest QB in football and gets the ball away to avoid the negative play.

No way in hell would I pay any cornerback in this league top FA money. Especially one about to turn 30.

We need to stop meeting like this but I agree with you once again.

This defense is more then a CB away from fixing it's problems and signing Nnamdi would do just that, prevent us from fixing problems. He is going to demand Revis type money and is 6 years older. We have good corners and we would have great corners if we fix the front 7. It's not a fluke that the top CB's every year play on the teams that also lead the league in sacks and QB Hurries. A good pass rush can improve a secondary. Even Deion could only cover guys for so long. This league is designed to support the passing game. The teams that are countering that are successful up front.

Cythim

Reaction score

Thank you for arguing my point. Good QBs can beat the pass rush by getting the ball away quickly. To beat these QBs you need a solid guy like Asomugha that can shut down one side of the field.

sbk92

Reaction score
This league is designed to support the passing game. The teams that are countering that are successful up front.

The rules are so slanted in their favor. I think the hardest job in the NFL is to play corner. You are basically set up to fail.

I just don't believe you build your defense that way. Give me a Nnamdi type player at NT or DE and I think we'd be better off.

But even for the guys who do believe in cornerbacks, you have to agree not to sign a big FA deal with a corner turning 30. Somebody's gonna give him 4 or 5 years at elite money.

sbk92

Reaction score
Thank you for arguing my point. Good QBs can beat the pass rush by getting the ball away quickly. To beat these QBs you need a solid guy like Asomugha that can shut down one side of the field.

But Manning didn't really beat the pass rush. 16 total points. An offense can't live on the short passing game.

No corner can shut down half the field. That's the old Deion label that was never true. Even if you don't want to throw at that corner, run him deep, run some underneath route to the side he vacated and you have the entire field open once again. You can scheme around throwing at a CB if that's your worry.

And Nnamdi is no Deion. People keep calling him the best in the league. I think Revis might disagree with you.

sdogo

Reaction score
The rules are so slanted in their favor. I think the hardest job in the NFL is to play corner. You are basically set up to fail.

I just don't believe you build your defense that way. Give me a Nnamdi type player at NT or DE and I think we'd be better off.

But even for the guys who do believe in cornerbacks, you have to agree not to sign a big FA deal with a corner turning 30. Somebody's gonna give him 4 or 5 years at elite money.

Outside of QB there is no more difficult position to play then CB but at the same time there are a lot of average CB's in this league that are made to look really good by strong defensive fronts. Like you, I would much rather spend my FA money this year on Ngata (who wont get away from Baltimore) or Aubrayo Franklin who could do just as much to improve this defense and come at less then half the price.

Cythim

Reaction score
I agree, I would love to get the best NT or DE in the NFL through free agency instead of signing Asomugha. Make the post about that guy and I will be cheering for him instead. I disagree with your age argument, however, older CBs are still good. Heck, Newman is signed through 2014, where he will be 36. I'm trying to work out the cap details on dropping Newman but damn it is complicated. Either way he still has close to $30 million due over the next 4 years that would be better off going to Asomugha. If I am reading the information correctly we can get away with a $6M cap hit for dropping Newman.

What moves at NT and DE are you making in free agency that do not allow you to sign Asomugha?

Top Bottom