cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
May be getting close to time to start thinking about limiting the playing time of guys like Brandon Carr and Barry Church

and play who?
Not sure what is out there, but Weeden was so bad today that they probably need to look around
Kyle Orton?

Seriously... Josh Freeman can't be worse than Weeden was today (and Freeman is awful). Terrell Pryor maybe?

Reaction score
Exactly, Laz. For all of Jason's obsession with having all of the elements of the Patriots (2TEs, 5 wide to create mismatches, vague injury lists, "aggressive passing" after a turnover, etc), he doesn't do 3 very important, winning elements: he does not dictate the gameplan (he plays reactively), he doesn't design a specific offense with new plays for that game (Josh McDaniels said that they make new plays for each game so a team cannot anticipate how the Patriots play from game tape), and he does not design the offense around the obvious strengths of his players and weaknesses of his players. When your receivers average 5 inches of height over the average DB but are some of the slowest receivers as a group in Dallas history, the advantage would be shorter passes and not longer routes that put your expensive QB at risk (despite having a strong running game, a strong O-line, and 2 TEs capable of blocking or receiving). The Patriots 5 Wide moves blitzes out of the box because (as Willie McGinnest said last Week "creates such mismatches that the DBs have to move back). But the Garrett 5 Wide invites the blitz because the 3.5 seconds it takes for an extra rusher to get to Romo is less than the 4 secs it takes for a WR to get down field. The Erhardt-Perkins system is much more flexible than the Coryell offense and the short pass/crossing pattern is a big part of it.

Right now, on TV, the Patriots are anticipating the pass patterns of the Peyton Manning offense which is a Coryell offense. They are running with the receivers. It is an antiquated offense that will continue to repeat unless the running game takes over or the plays are modified. In Dallas it's really bad because the plays repeat, but the personnel should be running shorter routes to preserve the QB, use the size of the WRs/TEs, and there is not enough speed for distance or adjustment routes.

It works for Romo because he can improvise and get the receivers to secondary routes that were not in the original play design. But things are going to get worse unless the passing game becomes more of a WCO design.

After all, as Parcells once said to Keyshawn "You are not a gazelle. You are a giraffe." Dallas is all giraffe in the passing game. No gazelles. But unless they create plays that play to the strengths of the giraffes, Romo is at risk for every obvious passing play.

Today was another mismanaged game by the head coach. Did not make adjustments. Did not outsmart or prepare the team to attack or stay ahead of the Cardinals. Aikman was laughing at Weeden. Todd Bowles and every DC in the league seems to know Jason's offense better than Jason does. A blocked FG is a head coach issue to prevent (Parcells, Johnson, Landry could see that coming a mile away).

This is a team that has so much potential, has Murray, Dez, Witten, etc but could only manage 10 points and spent very little time varying the actual part of the offense that works: the running plays and the short pass. Instead, as it has been for years now with Garrett: keep calling the same failing plays over and over expecting different results.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Truth is... I no longer feel mad about this loss. I was more pissed about the Redskins beating us. I'm over that as well.

I was just going to post the same damn thing. Is it bad if I'm over this loss? I guess I'm just resigned to the fact that we're going nowhere with this current staff and front office. I know I've said it a hundred times but we've been relegated to rooting for Weeden. I hate Jerry/Garrett so much it's indescribable.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
and play who?

More Moore and Patmon maybe. I like this Patmon kid

Kyle Orton?

Seriously... Josh Freeman can't be worse than Weeden was today (and Freeman is awful). Terrell Pryor maybe?

Yeah, might be worth a call on Freeman. Don't think Pryor is an upgrade over Weeden (or Vaughan). Wonder who else is out there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Rams have 8 sacks today and may win a game on the road when their offense goes for under 200 yds of offense

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Need to think about turning Church into a LB and getting a real FS in here.

I don't know about every down type LB, but I've always though maybe his best role would be a nickel/dime type LB that only plays in the short areas.

Still have hopes for Wilcox, seems like to me he is making progress, albeit small steps. But he seems like he gets a little better every week.

Yeah, more like a rover. We definitely need a FS.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Last week I had the blowout of the week in my fantasy league.

This week I got clobbered. And I got rid of Miami's D just in time for a 37-0 shutout win over the Chargers, and they had 4 sacks and 3 picks

Oh and Phillip Rivers is my starting QB

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's funny, dbair. Yahoo fantasy experts were saying all week for people to sit Rivers for their fantasy football teams this week.

Should have listened, David.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is a team that has so much potential, has Murray, Dez, Witten, etc but could only manage 10 points and spent very little time varying the actual part of the offense that works: the running plays and the short pass. Instead, as it has been for years now with Garrett: keep calling the same failing plays over and over expecting different results.

Got to keep banging and banging away! Isn't that what he said at the end of last offseason?

As always another well-written piece Omegasupreme.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's funny, dbair. Yahoo fantasy experts were saying all week for people to sit Rivers for their fantasy football teams this week.

Should have listened, David.

I was gonna sit him but Stafford is my backup and they had a bye

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That Broncos best team in the league thing came screeching to a halt today

Reaction score
I've just gotta shake my head about this game.

Aikman said a few times how fortune the Cowboys were because their backup QB gets so many practice snaps during the week. And then The Weed proceeds to shit the bed. Hard. The team didn't have much of a chance because of it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I've just gotta shake my head about this game.
Yeah. Could not believe the lousy offensive game plan. It looked like it was a severely simplified minimalist plan to protect a injured QB, probably what they had in mind if Tony had played. This is the first time I have seen Dallas water the offense down this much with a backup QB. It seemed to be it was like they thought it was Weeden who was injured.

If you don't trust the fucking guy to run this attack-style offense, why then is he in there to start with? Why is he even on the roster?

No. They weren't in attack mode from the start. They were in protect and play it safe mode. And died with a whimper - after really, the defense did a good job. 14-10 at the end of three quarters, you should win the fucking game.

Terrible offensive game plan. Run the ball repeatedly into the teeth of a 8, 9 and sometimes 10 man box. NO special plays to take advantage of the looks they were giving, not taking what they were giving. Terrible situational calls too.

We can't lay this ALL on Weeden.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah. Could not believe the lousy offensive game plan. It looked like it was a severely simplified minimalist plan to protect a injured QB, probably what they had in mind if Tony had played. This is the first time I have seen Dallas water the offense down this much with a backup QB. It seemed to be it was like they thought it was Weeden who was injured.

If you don't trust the fucking guy to run this attack-style offense, why then is he in there to start with? Why is he even on the roster?

No. They weren't in attack mode from the start. They were in protect and play it safe mode. And died with a whimper - after really, the defense did a good job. 14-10 at the end of three quarters, you should win the fucking game.

Terrible offensive game plan. Run the ball repeatedly into the teeth of a 8, 9 and sometimes 10 man box. NO special plays to take advantage of the looks they were giving, not taking what they were giving. Terrible situational calls too.

I almost played out like they read the Cards press clippings, i.e. great against the run. They didn't force the run nearly enough in the first half and considering Weeden struggled on the short routes, they certainly should have. Used that line to wear down the defense. Yeah Ari is good, but wasn't Seattle also?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I get that he made bad throws -- the decision to throw at Witten on that out with Honey Badger covering him was terrible. But why did the entire offense look so discombobulated? On so many of those routes the WRs and the QB weren't on the same page. Last week when he came in cold he basically hit all his throws and there was none of this confusion. How does that happen? How does the offense look worse when the guy has a full week of practice and you basically know all week he's going to be playing?

And that's not even mentioning all the drops Dez had. That's two bad games in a row for Dez. Asked it last week, but is he thinking about his money? (And on the postgame show there was a rumor that he was late for the game. Huge no-no.)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I get that he made bad throws -- the decision to throw at Witten on that out with Honey Badger covering him was terrible. But why did the entire offense look so discombobulated? On so many of those routes the WRs and the QB weren't on the same page. Last week when he came in cold he basically hit all his throws and there was none of this confusion. How does that happen? How does the offense look worse when the guy has a full week of practice and you basically know all week he's going to be playing?

And that's not even mentioning all the drops Dez had. That's two bad games in a row for Dez. Asked it last week, but is he thinking about his money? (And on the postgame show there was a rumor that he was late for the game. Huge no-no.)
I almost played out like they read the Cards press clippings, i.e. great against the run. They didn't force the run nearly enough in the first half and considering Weeden struggled on the short routes, they certainly should have. Used that line to wear down the defense. Yeah Ari is good, but wasn't Seattle also?
I think all of this is a product of the way oversimplified, watered down offense. They weren't in ATTACK posture, for the first time I can remember in many years.

I think they installed this weak assed shit thinking Tony would be playing, then didn't bother discarding it when he said he couldn't go.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He's started catching the ball with his body. Laziness? Or trying to copy Williams?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Last week... 2nd and goal on the 3-yard line, Garrett calls noting but pass plays that eventually result in a FG.

In OT... Murray rips off 8-yards on 1st down. For the next three downs 2nd and 2, 3rd and 2, 4th and 2... all pass lays, game over---LOST.

This week... 4th and half a yard GL formation --- run the ball --get stuffed. Not suggesting that they should have passed on that play --- not at all, but rather showing how the playcalling is all over the place and has no sense to it.

I still do not get as to why they did not use a QB sneak. When it's half a yard, the QB only has to fall forward and is automatically granted the 1st down in that situation.

As I continue to say.. if it wasn't for stupidity, it'd be sabotage.

Top Bottom