Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It doesn't make a shit that their run D has been horrible and we have one of the best running games?

That said, somehow I doubt it plays out that way. We've absolutely walked all over them the last two times we've played them and I suspect it won't be that easy this time.

We should still win, though,
I agree - "should" definitely being the operative word.

The Rams have talent and depth in the DL, and have good LBs. I don't put much stock in stats the first few weeks of the season - Dallas' defense was ranked #4 heading into week 5 last season, for example.

I carefully hedged my bets on this one, because a Dallas loss here wouldn't surprise me a bit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
because a Dallas loss here wouldn't surprise me a bit.

It would surprise me some. We are clearly better than them and they have a UDFA QB who has hardly played starting at QB for them it appears.

I really think the only way we lose this game is if Romo just completely blows it like he did vs SF.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting from Broaddus. Imagine the outrage in Dallas had an OL picked as high as either of these weren't starting immediately as a rookie, especially #2 overall.

•Here is something to think about as you view the game on Sunday – this is the second week in a row where the Cowboys are playing an opponent where their first-round selection at offensive tackle is not in the starting lineup. Last week it was Taylor Lewan, who was the 11th overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft for the Titans. This week the No. 2 overall selection, Greg Robinson, finds himself waiting for an opportunity to play behind Jake Long and Joe Barksdale. When you look at those situations, you have to be impressed how this Cowboys front office and coaching staff has been able to identify linemen like Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and now Zack Martin, who they just plug in and go right to work from Day 1. You always worry about the learning curve for offensive linemen, and where others have struggled, Smith, Frederick, Martin and even Ronald Leary have adjusted quickly and that has made a significant difference in this offense.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with Robinson. And he's not even "behind" those tackles, as they started him at G just like we're doing with Martin. Don't know if he just isn't as good there or is having trouble learning the O with the position switch or what.

And sure if he were here there'd be a lot of outrage. There should be.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
TE you should lose the Rams shit at least for this week. Like Cris Carter says....come on man

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you look at those situations, you have to be impressed how this Cowboys front office and coaching staff has been able to identify linemen like Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and now Zack Martin, who they just plug in and go right to work from Day 1.

When you have an O line as putrid as ours, a guy can come off his couch, start and play better than just about any other lineman on the roster. I'm not impressed in the least that these guys were plugged into the starting OL. It's really an indication of just how bad the line was more than anything else.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When you have an O line as putrid as ours, a guy can come off his couch, start and play better than just about any other lineman on the roster. I'm not impressed in the least that these guys were plugged into the starting OL. It's really an indication of just how bad the line was more than anything else.

Exactly this.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
DE Lavar Edwards waived to make room for LB keith Smith (signed off our practice squad)

We now don't owe Tennessee that 7th rd pick. I think he had to be active for a certain amount of games this yr for them to get the pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Still they get some credit for getting it right on all 3. Just because the guys were picked early doesn't guarantee they'll be good.

Your statement makes it sound like these guys are marginal players who just happen to be better than what we had, and the fact is all 3 of them are GOOD players. One is an elite player already.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
they have a UDFA QB who has hardly played starting at QB for them it appears.
Clint Longley redux? No command of the complex system, just goes out there and shreds the Dallas defense.
I really think the only way we lose this game is if Romo just completely blows it like he did vs SF.
Romo won't be passing much if the running game works. He is a great bus driver/custodian. And that's the exact role he needs to have.

Reaction score
I think we wont be able to run as well against the Rams strong DL.

Romo could be exposed a little too. Or he'll shine. Probably not much middle ground. If the run game is stiffled and we have to rely on the pass, it'll be interesting to see how his back holds up. Remember he missed a day of practice this week, so the concern is there from the team.

That said, we invested three #1s in this line. They better hold their ground against the Rams front seven.

Another concern is it seems like we could be going with newly signed Keith Sims and that fourth rounder, Hitchens, at MLB. Rams might be able to exploit that if they get the ground game going. No idea who their backs are though.

I think this will be a suprisingly close game. But we should definitely win.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That said, we invested three #1s in this line. They better hold their ground against the Rams front seven.
That's what I'm saying. We should be able to blow just about anyone out up front.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
They gave up 185 yds rushing to Minnesota and 157 to Tampa

Not saying we'll come in and just run all over them, but Tampa is possibly the worst team in the league and their backup RB ran roughshod all over the Rams front 7. Neither Tampa nor Minnesota has anywhere near the offensive talent we have.

Those games might be an aberration though. The same Dline beasted last year against the run. Yes they lost Chris Long. But he was actually their worst graded run defender.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Those games might be an aberration though. The same Dline beasted last year against the run. Yes they lost Chris Long. But he was actually their worst graded run defender.
Plus it seems teams are using the first two regular season games as their tune-up games, instead of the preseason games. Making everyone rusty and out of shape to some degree, some more than others. So these early season stats to me, don't mean jack shit.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your statement makes it sound like these guys are marginal players who just happen to be better than what we had, and the fact is all 3 of them are GOOD players. One is an elite player already.

I'm not saying they're marginal players. Fred was going to be better than Ryan Cook or Phil Costa. Martin was going to start over any scrub at G especially considering that Brian Waters came of his couch and was an immediate starter. It's been so long since we've seen adequate or acceptable O line play that these guys look like All-Pros. They're good and going to get better. Tyron is a top 10 left tackle but I'm not sure I'd call him elite yet.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not saying they're marginal players. Fred was going to be better than Ryan Cook or Phil Costa. Martin was going to start over any scrub at G especially considering that Brian Waters came of his couch and was an immediate starter. It's been so long since we've seen adequate or acceptable O line play that these guys look like All-Pros. They're good and going to get better. Tyron is a top 10 left tackle but I'm not sure I'd call him elite yet.

Again, they drafted good players. Be glad they did.

As for Tyron, virtually everyone in the league calls him elite. I guess if he played somewhere other than Dallas you probably would too.

Top Bottom