Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Vaughan not getting much help now. Bad dropped pass for easy first down there.
He's not exactly sharp all the time like I know him to have been in college, but also under duress almost every play so, what can we say? Excellent heads-up play though when they had him dead to rights in the end zone, busted play and he just booked ass instead of trying to wing it with some sort of riverboat gamble schoolyard pass.

I don't think they keep him this year though, the upside of Showers plus his special teams possibility, plus probably not keeping 3 QBs otherwise this year - unless the roster spot gets earned on special teams - means Vaughan probably gets cut this preseason. Sad to say.
I think the absolute #1 concern they will have after looking at this game is the backup OL.
Yep the dropoff from the starters is towering. Unacceptable.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I doubt it, dooms. The fact that they're using Showers on special teams tells me they aren't really serious about him at QB.

I thought Vaughn looked okay, actually.

Reaction score
Watch the game from pure play calling. When the wr routes were immediately across the middle or forced immediate separation on the outside, the pass plays had a good chance and Vaughan and Showers were fairly secure. Once the typical patterns were obvious then it was just a numbers game for the Charger defense. The DEs needed about 4 seconds to round the sides and move Vaughan or Showers either trapped in the middle of the pocket or rattled so they run. Running plays and short passes confused the Chargers anticipation. Escobar was open all the time and at least those outside passes to Clutts were being practiced bc chances are the same play will happen with a Swaim or a Rb. The problem with the Jason system is still that there is an ignorant lack of incremental yard gain. Throwing to Clutts for 3 yards on the outside is fine on 1st and 10 or 2nd and 8 but not on 3rd and 10. The fact that Jason's playbook (without Callahan or Murray last year) results in 3rd and 10 is both irresponsibly managing the talent and putting the QB and the overall ball possession at risk. When Callahan and Murray allowed 3rd down and manageable for the last two seasons, Dallas did well. But too often the Jason playbook would revert back to an identity of empty backfield downfield passes for three straight downs which allowed the defense time to blitz, pressure and attack the QB without hesitation. Vaughan and Showers had the most problems with waiting for the routes to develop. It's the oldest scheme in the NFL right now and really offers nothing that deceives the defense enough to pull the blitz back or pull the pass rush back into coverage. When Showers started running, the Chargers pass rush on the edges were not as zealous. But Vaughan was seemingly seconds away from a sack every time there was an obvious pass play. Obvious pass plays are staples of the Jason playbook even with Linehan calling plays.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I doubt it, dooms. The fact that they're using Showers on special teams tells me they aren't really serious about him at QB.

They may or may not be serious about him at QB but if he can make it on ST Vaughn becomes pretty much expendable. It's unfortunate.

And yeah, Vaughan really didn't hurt his own case any.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Me too TE. I was actually a little surprised and can tell that he made some huge strides from last year. Now, me and xwalker haven't looked at the film yet but I liked what I saw. And the kid showed off his cannon.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Vaughan throws an ugly yet surprisingly accurate ball.

He missed some pretty easy reads though.

He still sucks.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
he was the worst guy to play behind a leaky line. can't move at all.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not much. Jack Crawford had a nice sack/forced fumble and Gregory had one play where he blew by his guy (QB threw it away) but backups haven't done a lot of pressure pocket enough.

The run defense on last series was just putrid. prior to that it had been good. We handled Melvin Gordon pretty well.

Jack Crawford may be someone to keep an eye on. He's been having a really good camp. Has drawn comparisons to Tyrone Crawford from Babe Laughenberg. So I guess take that with a grain of salt.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
he was the worst guy to play behind a leaky line. can't move at all.
He got away from them when they had him dead to rights for a safety, ran and did the slide, and earned the 15 yd penalty for the resulting dumb hit.

And by the way this kid is tough, I've seen him take some real beatings in the national playoffs for D2. He just gets right back up and cuts your eyes out.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Damn, the Giants starters on offense played 3 series and couldn’t do shit.
Hey I gotta say your Boy Johnny Football seems to have turned a corner professionally, not being a immature punk idiot anymore. Odd how productivity always follows that decision.

Reaction score
Hey I gotta say your Boy Johnny Football seems to have turned a corner professionally, not being a immature punk idiot anymore. Odd how productivity always follows that decision.

Yea he gave up the money sign. I think last season humbled him. Which can be a good thing.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yea he gave up the money sign. I think last season humbled him. Which can be a good thing.
What bothered me was, the multi-million dollar contract should have been enough to humble him and make him take this seriously. That it didn't smacks of spoiled privilege. He didn't know he is in a very exclusive fraternity. Needs to just apply himself, get his nose on the grindstone and out of the clouds. He's got my attention now though.

Reaction score
I wear a T-shirt that says “Half-Full” quite a bit. It is my favorite. So that is the way I will approach this blog. After all, we are talking about the first pre-season game of the year. No reason to lower the life rafts or use your seat cushion as a flotation device. And I must issue the disclaimer that without looking at the tape of the game, it is hard to have definitive answers on individual players. So, with that caveat, let’s begin.

1. Starting with my half-full approach, Tony Romo did not break his jaw after getting punched by a teammate. So the Cowboys are already ahead of the New York Jets.

2. I am following the QB situation very closely. You are looking a guy to replace Weeden down the road. If he can play, Dustin Vaughn should be ready by next year. But Jameill Showers seems to have worked his way into the mix for the third spot. Thought both players performed decently under the circumstances of basically running a fire drill (which is what you are essentially operating playing with 3rd team guys). Vaughn made a great throw to pick up a 3rd-18, but missed Escobar for a TD on a go route. That would have really made his night. Showers showed some poise for a guy who has received very little practice time.

3. Outside of Devin Street, thought the rest of the receivers were very average. Street had a few nice catches, but he does not create great separation. On a on 3-6 play, with the down markers right in front of him, the corner muscled him up, he ran the route short, got a completion, but for just 4 yards. The Cowboys were forced to punt. That was disappointing.

4. I thought the tight ends were very good. Shame that James Hanna injured his knee. But this group had 9 of the 21 receptions. The more I see of Geoff Swaim, the more I like him. And I liked him from the minute I first saw him. I am still scratching my head about how a Texas team that managed a whopping 59 yards of total offense against Arkansas in the Texas Bowl could see fit to throw this guy 10 passes during the entire season. Head scratcher.

5. Addendum to the play of the tight ends? Once the season starts, they can all “have a warm glass of milk,” because Jason Witten isn’t leaving the field.

6. Here was my highlight after the game. Thought at first glance that La’el Collins performed well. But loved this post game quote. “There’s a lot of things I need to clean up, things I can get better at, keep working on. I’m so far away from where I want to be at, I just need to continue to work.” If a player thinks they need to get better, and put in the work, they usually get better.

7. Defensively, when you only give up 199 yards, you have had a good day. Not taking the ball away was not good. The Cowboys were second in the NFL last year in takeaways. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli will not be happy. He is all about taking the ball away.

8. This game will give Jason Garrett a reason to pound his mantra into his football team before next week’s game at San Francisco. “The ball is important.” Last season, the Cowboys were 10-0 when they were even or won the turnover ratio. 2-4 when they lost it. Minus two last night meant 17-7 San Diego.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Vaughn made a great throw to pick up a 3rd-18, but missed Escobar for a TD on a go route.
Receiver needs to keep running, on the Go route. Pablo stopped.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Finally got to watch the whole game over the weekend, nothing earth shattering to see but a few thoughts:

1) Weeden should have probably caught the shotgun snap, but otherwise he looked pretty good. He made good quick decisions and threw the ball accurately. Even his one incompletion was thrown on target. I didn't see anything in this game to make me think he cant do the job, he did look better IMO compared to last yr.

2) Thought Vaughan looked solid and Showers is interesting, but IMO (unlike some of those boneheads at CZ) Vaughan clearly threw the ball better than Showers and had a better grasp of the offense. Not sure either warrants a roster spot right now, but if I had to pick one Vaughan would get my vote easily. Vaughan also showed some nifty feet to escape a couple of rushes and had a nice downfield completion to Escobar when he was rolling out.

3) Gus Johnson runs hard and had a couple of nice physical runs, but I didn't see anything that made me think he was a starter in the waiting the way some CZ idiots apparently believed. Right now he looks like a 4th RB or practice squad guy to me.

4) Devin Street and Escobar both had good games. I think if either of these guys had to play a lot they'd be capable replacements. T Williams also looked good and seems primed for another good year opp Bryant.

5) Was not impressed with Weems or the other backup tackles at all. Wetzel wasn't horrible but he wasn't good enough either. If Chaz Green doesn't get healthy it wont surprise me if one of the more significant moves before week one is to get a decent swing OT. Bernadeau seemed to block ok at C but his shotgun snaps were very mediocre. I read this morning that Zack Martin got some snaps at C the past couple days, which tells me the coaches probably have some concerns over Bernadeau as well.

6) I thought Lael Collins looked really solid and the clip running around of him absolutely crushing that one Chargers defensive guy is impressive. 4th rd pick Damien Wilson is definitely worth keeping an eye on and appears to be another solid find by the scouts. Moves around extremely well and can play with some toughness. I read that in the past couple practices they moved Sean Lee over the TE some, allowing Wilson to be on the field with both Lee and Hitchens. Could be something to watch for in upcoming preseason games. Quality debut for Byron Jones and Randy Gregory too. Both appear to be players and significant contributors from day one. Ben Gardner and Ryan Russell also showed pretty well IMO. Even 7th pick Geoff Swaim (a picked cursed by just about everyone) looked like a decent developmental guy. Moves around extremely well and displayed good hands. If his run blocking is as good as advertised, Hanna might not want to miss too much time with his injury. Hanna could be someone we deal for a late rd pick or role player at the end of preseason.

7) Thought both Corey White and Tyler Patmon played well. White nearly had a couple of picks. On the other hand I thought both Heath and McCray were putrid on defense, especially Heath. Heath missed several tackles badly and appeared lost in coverage as usual.

8) I know they are running a lot of different guys out there on coverage units, and IIRC we had similar issues the last couple of preseasons but the kick/punt coverage teams were awful. Lucky Whitehead had an awful fumble and then I read he has muffed a couple others in practice since. Kick/Punt returner could be another position of need before the season starts if Whitehead doesn't get it together. He's of absolutely ZERO use if he cant hold onto the ball.

Top Bottom