C

Cr122

NFL owners: Let's go to 18 games; Cowboys LB concerned

05:12 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

NFL owners have shown widespread support for going to an 18-game schedule but want to implement the change as part of a new labor agreement.

Commissioner Roger Goodell says owners see two more regular-season games — and two fewer preseason games — as the most logical way to enhance revenues in a difficult economic environment. He says it will be one of the main issues in talks on reaching a new collective bargaining agreement.

Cowboys linebacker Bradie James told The Dallas Morning News recently that an 18-game season could hurt players' health.

"I know in December, man, it's so tough for us to get up out of the bed, now you're talking about 18-game seasons," James said. "It's good to say that in the media and it's what the fans want.

"But what about my longevity? What about five years from now, me being able to play with my child?"

"We're not even being included. It's like we've been told through media outlets that we're possibly going to have an 18-game season. Well, how is that going to happen? Tell us the structure. There are so many things up in the air."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told KRLD in Dallas recently that he is a fan of a shorter preseason.

"We’re headed in that direction in my view," Jones said. "That would mean two extra regular season games. Anything the regular season games would do in my view relative to increased pressure on injuries would be mitigated by the fact that we’ve cut the preseason shorter or adjusted the preseason. All of that is good. The idea that if you are going to have injuries, then have them in a game that counts rather that getting ready for a game that counts."

The current deal runs out after this season. Players are eager to see how much of the additional revenue they will receive with an expanded schedule, especially since it could increase the risk of injuries or health problems after they retire.

Goodell says the league is targeting 2012 for the 18-game season.

• • •

C

Cr122

I'm not so sure it's a good idea, look at the injuries that are occurring now with a 16 game schedule.

C

Cr122

Then again it would at least bring the two sides together so maybe they can iron out this CBA.

sbk92

Reaction score
I wouldn't shorten the preseason. Don't dumb it down for the idiots. Teams need that time to develop and evaluate young talent.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't shorten the preseason. Don't dumb it down for the idiots. Teams need that time to develop and evaluate young talent.

They can shorten preseason down by one game. I think 3 preseason games is sufficient.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I could roll with that. Also may be give teams 2 byes instead of 1. Sure would make ffl interesting too...

I disagree with teams having two bye weeks each, one bye is sufficient. I think what they should do is have the bye weeks in week 7 and 8 OR week 8 and week 9---basically, at the midpoint of the season. For instance, 16 teams would have a bye week in week 7, and then the following week the remaining 16 teams would have their bye week. That way, no team has an advantage.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Goodell is trying to put his stamp on the league.

But the thing is that Goodell doesn't realize that the quality of play is going to diminish. Now I understand about teams having divisional games to conclude the season, I think that's a pretty good idea. But extending it to 18 games, what's going to happen is that teams that make the playoffs before then, will shut it down because they naturally will want to conserve for the playoffs, and then the teams that are not making the playoffs, will shut it down, because they will simply just want the seaosn to be over with.

C

Cr122

I see it as less preparation for the regular season and more chance of injuries to our starters. JMO.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I see it as less preparation for the regular season and more chance of injuries to our starters. JMO.

sbk complains about Wade's walkthroughs, but if we go to an 18 game season, I imagine that there will be alot more teams doing more walkthroughs in training camp, for that very same reason you cite.

C

Cr122

My problem with Wade is he just needs to make his players accountable for their actions, he really doesn't do that.

And he is not a great motivator like Jimmy Johnson was. If he were to do these things I would feel different about him.

I love Wade the DC but not Wade the HC. Hopefully he proves me wrong and wins a championship.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My problem with Wade is he just needs to make his players accountable for their actions, he really doesn't do that.

And he is not a great motivator like Jimmy Johnson was. If he were to do these things I would feel different about him.

I love Wade the DC but not Wade the HC. Hopefully he proves me wrong and wins a championship.

One thing I have learned. The players have a different take on Wade than all of us fans. From my observations, they have bought into his program. As for him not making players accountable, I hear that alot and not sure what that means. I mean nobody really cites any examples to this claim. As for Johnson being a great motivator, alot it did him in Miami.

sbk92

Reaction score
But the thing is that Goodell doesn't realize that the quality of play is going to diminish. Now I understand about teams having divisional games to conclude the season, I think that's a pretty good idea. But extending it to 18 games, what's going to happen is that teams that make the playoffs before then, will shut it down because they naturally will want to conserve for the playoffs, and then the teams that are not making the playoffs, will shut it down, because they will simply just want the seaosn to be over with.

If you increase the season, you almost have to increase roster sizes. So you're right. The quality of play will dip. It just has to.

And think of the awful late season games we could have with teams out of the hunt for two months. Or teams resting starters for weeks before the playoffs.

sbk92

Reaction score
One thing I have learned. The players have a different take on Wade than all of us fans. From my observations, they have bought into his program. As for him not making players accountable, I hear that alot and not sure what that means. I mean nobody really cites any examples to this claim. As for Johnson being a great motivator, alot it did him in Miami.

I thought Jimmy did good in Miami. Rebuilt a pretty good defense and made the playoffs. Had he stuck around, there's no doubt in my mind he would have had greater success.

The players have bought into Wade's program because it's easy on them. I'd buy into it too.

If the players don't hate that they love their coach, I don't want the guy coaching my team.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If you increase the season, you almost have to increase roster sizes. So you're right. The quality of play will dip. It just has to.

And think of the awful late season games we could have with teams out of the hunt for two months. Or teams resting starters for weeks before the playoffs.

Increasing the roster size was mentioned. And even more think about all these current records. They kind of become meaningless. You'll possibly have more 2,000 yard rushers.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I thought Jimmy did good in Miami. Rebuilt a pretty good defense and made the playoffs. Had he stuck around, there's no doubt in my mind he would have had greater success.

The players have bought into Wade's program because it's easy on them. I'd buy into it too.

If the players don't hate that they love their coach, I don't want the guy coaching my team.

Whether it's easy on them or not, they've been more successful than under Parcells. Awinning season in each of Wade's years here, two division titles, and finally a playoff win. If the players accomplished all of this for buying into Wade's program because it's "easy on them", then I say bring more of it.

Top Bottom