dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If we sign Miller the Front Office will trip over themselves congratulating each other. And they should, it would be a quality signing.

This Clayborn and Schofield nonsense is Will McClay's influence, convincing Jerry they are hidden gems. I have no problem signing these guys as fallback options, several weeks into free agency. Targeting and signing them right off the bat is just signing people for the sake of signing them.

I actually like Clayborn if he is healthy. He's a clear upgrade over Mincey as a rotation guy at DE and occasional spot starter. He can also kick inside to DT some on passing downs. Schofield I don't know as much about, but he sounds like a guy that should be a 4th DE at best.

Neither guy significantly improves anything other than having veteran depth.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
McKelvin pretty much sucks. He's a bust. He can return punts but even then he makes some bonehead decisions sometimes.

Games started last five years: 5,9,13,4,6. He's also 30. Why would we want this guy?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not saying his motivation is to pocket the savings. Obviously he's already tremendously wealthy and makes a huge salary from the operation regardless of a few million free agency dollars spent or not. He could just be more conservative than his dad. Risk-taking has a genetic component like everything else.

Nor am I saying be the Redskins and sign every big name out there so that you have to cut the good players you have.

But these FA players don't have huge cap numbers in the first years -- it's later on when they do. And our QB has about two years left at most. What are we waiting on? We need to do something soon or it won't matter. What good will it do to have a great cap situation when Tony is watching Netflix on his couch all day and we're running Dak Prescott out there every Sunday?

Im fine with spending if it would work, I just don't see it working that often and I don't have confidence in the "brain" trust that is the Cowboys to find these players that are worth the big bucks.

Admittedly, I'm still reeling from contracts to Carr, Barber, Roy Williams, Ratliff extension, Austin, etc where they would have been better in every case passing on these guys and keeping the roster spot and cap space.

I also think teams need to flip the way the contracts are absorbed. I.e. I think teams would be better off eating the bulk of the guaranteed money in the first 2 years so they can release the player after the 2nd year (if need be). It keeps pressure on the player by giving the team flexibility and leverage which I believe is a good thing. IIRC, Denver has done this with some of their recent high priced FA signings. For example, they can cut Ware and only have 1.7 M in dead cap space to absorb this year. They set up his contract to basically be a 2 year deal they can easily walk away from, yet keep him if they like, which allows them to have leverage in negotiations should they attempt to redo his deal.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One hand JPP signs 1 yr deal with Giants

Broncos DT Jackson to Jags

Tamba Hali re-signs with Chiefs for 3 yrs

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
mike fisher ✭ (@fishsports)
3/8/16, 1:35 PM
If #Texas are paying $6.5M annually to Lamar Miller that is far over #cowboys RB line in cement. twitter.com/JoeDeMayo4/sta…

Looks like the Texans are going to outbid the Cowboys for Lamar Miller.

If anyone needs any more evidence that Stephen has more control over the money than he has in the past and that Jerry isn't as in control of the money as he was in the past here it is right here. When has Jerry EVER been unwilling to give a player $6.5 mil a year? Especially to a young player at a position of need? In the past Jerry would have signed him just to spite the Texans.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
mike fisher ✭ (@fishsports)
3/8/16, 1:35 PM
If #Texas are paying $6.5M annually to Lamar Miller that is far over #cowboys RB line in cement. twitter.com/JoeDeMayo4/sta…

Looks like the Texans are going to outbid the Cowboys for Lamar Miller.

If anyone needs any more evidence that Stephen has more control over the money than he has in the past and that Jerry isn't as in control of the money as he was in the past here it is right here. When has Jerry EVER been unwilling to give a player $6.5 mil a year? Especially to a young player at a position of need? In the past Jerry would have signed him just to spite the Texans.

stephen has as much control as Jerruh chooses to give him. And that can be yanked at any time.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I've been saying for a couple of years, how much would it suck if now at the end of Tony's career we get Steve's tightwad attitude when Jerry's "go for it" attitude would actually have been the right one?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I've been saying for a couple of years, how much would it suck if now at the end of Tony's career we get Steve's tightwad attitude when Jerry's "go for it" attitude would actually have been the right one?

Does not matter. Garrett is still here

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Best NFL Matchups (@best_nfl)
3/8/16, 4:11 PM
Dolphins and Pro Bowl DE Mario Williams agree on a 2 year deal expected to be worth 16M

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Best NFL Matchups (@best_nfl)
3/8/16, 4:11 PM
Dolphins and Pro Bowl DE Mario Williams agree on a 2 year deal expected to be worth 16M

Supposedly they will keep Wake (who was injured) but might rescind the transition tag on Vernon.

Unlike some of these other free agents, Vernon has the right combination of age and ability to make paying a premium price worth it IMO.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Supposedly they will keep Wake (who was injured) but might rescind the transition tag on Vernon.

Unlike some of these other free agents, Vernon has the right combination of age and ability to make paying a premium price worth it IMO.

Vernon was the guy I wanted the Cowboys to get once the season ended. If they remove the transition tag I'd definitely try to sign him. I'm not Stephen Jones though. I'd be shocked if the Cowboys make an offer to him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Adrian Clayborn. & O'Brien Schofield. That's the plan for DE?

Also saw speculation from a Dolphin writer that the Cowboys were the favorite to sign Lamar Miller, but haven't seen that confirmed by any Cowboy people.

That was such a terrible draft for DEs.

Top Bottom