Reaction score
LOL

I mean like some as in 0.001% for Jerry.

It's like giving dbair credit for admitting he was wrong on Romo, when it's so obvious to everyone else.

Reaction score
Would a Super Bowl win be enough for folks to begrudgingly give Garrett some credit? How about Jerry?

Reaction score
Would a Super Bowl win be enough for folks to begrudgingly give Garrett some credit? How about Jerry?

No, they will credit someone else or blame luck. Same type of logic i see from folks that refuse to blame Garrett and Jerry for anything negative. I say be consistent.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Jerry has ruined the franchise beyond repair of his rep. I don't think I'd ever have a good thing to say about him when it comes to being the man in charge.

Garrett, he's still the same guy, IMO. I think he's in the best situation possible right now. He's not calling plays. He's basically an empty suit. I'll give him credit if he was behind the hires of Rod M. and Scott L.

I think you can give him credit if he made those hires, and you can give him credit for not refusing to be neutered. Just my opinion.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think the fact that its public knowledge that Jerry had to be stopped from drafting Johnny Football is Exhibit A that he deserves very little credit.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well we know Garrett wasn't the one who fired Rob. So without Jerry doing that, either Rob would still be here or we'd have a rookie DC right now. And it would't be Marinelli.

And Jason would also still be calling plays if it were up to him. Jerry's the one who took his laminated sheet away.

That's why RJ doesn't get credit. As a coach, he's done nothing but accept Jerry's neutering and ask for more.

If we won it all, I'd be fair and give Jerry credit. He's the one who has made all the major moves lately. And at least he'd have paid Romo and gotten Kiffin and Marinelli in here.

But by far the most credit would go to Romo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many posters, myself included, may be doing the very same thing regarding Garrett.

Even thought experiment.... :popcorn

No way...I am in that club too. This success could have happened last year if Garrett were completely neutered in favor of Callahan. We all know that, as Jerry said, Jason was allowed to be the head chef and change Callahan's calls. The less of Garrett in the offense, the greater the chances that the offense and the defense will have options and energy to attack the opponent. The team last year had the highest red zone efficiency with Callahan from the previous 3 years with Garrett. The point of the games is to have greater points than another team...not to just have a glut of yards. Callahan did what the head coach could not, despite the sabotage of the head coach. And now, except for the sad predictable passing plays, there is very little Garrett input to waste and ruin the talent and opportunity this teams has...and had for a few years now. Where is the praise in that?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Stephen overruling Jerry and a neutered Garrett are major factors for this team's success.

Garrett the ra ra guy is okay. Garrett the play caller and game manager is awful.

Jerry the check signer is okay. Jerry the talent evaluator has crippled this team for 20 years.

The offense is doing what most sensible fans have been calling for the past several years.

The defense is the real surprise but adding a bad ass like McClain was much needed. Garrett deserves credit for taking the chance on McClain.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
No, they will credit someone else or blame luck. Same type of logic i see from folks that refuse to blame Garrett and Jerry for anything negative. I say be consistent.

Who do you credit for the 2014 season? A head coach who has proven he can't manage a game late, and in some cases can't coach with a big lead?

Did Jason become a better head coach over night, or are the coordinators on both sides doing a fantastic job? Offense has never looked this good under Garrett. Now Linehan steps in and the offense looks epic.

But lets shower Jason with credit now that he's walking around without nuts.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett, he's still the same guy, IMO. I think he's in the best situation possible right now. He's not calling plays. He's basically an empty suit.

Serious question, the vast majority of coaches don't call plays. Are they empty suits too?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

If people are going to beat them up for their failures (and Jerry's list of failures is a fucking mile wide) then I think people have to give them some credit if they have success. Now sustained success would be the key thing. Many teams can put it together for a one and done run, but winning 10-11-12 games a yr and being a postseason factor multiple seasons in a row is the real barometer.

Reaction score
Who do you credit for the 2014 season? A head coach who has proven he can't manage a game late, and in some cases can't coach with a big lead?

Did Jason become a better head coach over night, or are the coordinators on both sides doing a fantastic job? Offense has never looked this good under Garrett. Now Linehan steps in and the offense looks epic.

But lets shower Jason with credit now that he's walking around without nuts.

Its too hard to pick and choose what you give credit for because we dont have all the inside info. Some of it might be true, but how do we know for sure?

I have never been a Garrett fan (i wish he would grow some balls and go for a 4th and 1). I dont like Jerry. That said i give them credit for being 6-1. It also appears to be a team built for the long haul. Team falls on its ass at some point in the season (which could be likely) then ill blame them still. You cant just flip flop to suit an agenda.

One thing i do notice is the team plays hard. They havent quit on Garrett, which is usually the kiss of death.

Reaction score
Many teams can put it together for a one and done run, but winning 10-11-12 games a yr and being a postseason factor multiple seasons in a row is the real barometer.
This is the key... Being a fan of the Cowboys for the past 20 years has basically been a prayer for the GM catching lightning in a bottle. Hoping for any sustained success is a lost cause. I won't give Jerry much credit at all until we have some real sustained success. And if that ever happens, it will likely be because he took a step back or begrudgingly gave up some control.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well we know Garrett wasn't the one who fired Rob. So without Jerry doing that, either Rob would still be here or we'd have a rookie DC right now. And it would't be Marinelli.

We know this how exactly?

And Jason would also still be calling plays if it were up to him. Jerry's the one who took his laminated sheet away.

Didn't he say he never intended to call plays permanently a long time ago though?

That's why RJ doesn't get credit. As a coach, he's done nothing but accept Jerry's neutering and ask for more.

Not sure that's 100% accurate, or fair. I do think Garrett has done some (I said SOME) positive things here. I think he clearly has had an impact on the scouting and pro personnel department. He does get the team to play hard every week, and they don't fold like a cheap tent on a game in and game out basis.

If we won it all, I'd be fair and give Jerry credit. He's the one who has made all the major moves lately. And at least he'd have paid Romo and gotten Kiffin and Marinelli in here.

Whoever got Kiffin here should be blasted for that, not praised.

But by far the most credit would go to Romo.

I think the assistant coaches deserve quite a bit of credit, they're the ones drawing up the game plans and coaching the players. Linehan and Marinelli are both doing outstanding jobs, I don't think Jones had anything at all to do with hiring Linehan and I doubt he had much to do with hiring Marinelli either. he also had nothing to do with hiring Derek Dooley or most (if not all) of the other asst coaches.

I also think its fair to say Jones doesn't know shit about the draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is the key... Being a fan of the Cowboys for the past 20 years has basically been a prayer for the GM catching lightning in a bottle. Hoping for any sustained success is a lost cause. I won't give Jerry much credit at all until we have some real sustained success. And if that ever happens, it will likely be because he took a step back or begrudgingly gave up some control.

Agree 100%, and I think some of the positive things happening now are a clear indicator some of that is already going on.

Reaction score
Whoever got Kiffin here should be blasted for that, not praised.
If Kiffin's not here, Marinelli never comes here.

That was a Jerry/Lacewell call... they wanted Kiffin and fell ass-backwards into Marinelli.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We know this how exactly?
Because Rex said so, among other people.

Didn't he say he never intended to call plays permanently a long time ago though?

He's careful to cover all his bases, again like a politician.

But every reporter who covers this team, and I mean all of them, said at the time he never wanted to give it up. That's probably why he didn't get along with Callahan and why he took it back last year.

Yes, he got to decide on Linehan, because that was the only guy available he'd worked with. And it's not like Linehan is some wizard anyway. He's a good solid guy. But that's enough to be an improvement over Garrett.

Pep covered the Kiffin/Marinelli part.

And I agree, Jerry doesn't know shit about players or building a team. But at least he's been listening to Ciskowski and I guess now McClay. And Stephen, who probably deserves a lot of the credit.

Top Bottom