LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I saw this done on another site and decided to import it here. On that site everyone did a mock draft based on overall cbssportsline rankings.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

The way it works is like this: You cannot pick a player that is ranked before the # of the selection the Cowboys own.

For example, the Cowboys have the #9 pick in the 1st round. The earliest player that the Cowboys can pick based on cbssportsline ranking would be #9 Julio Jones. You cannot pick any of the previous 8. So no Patrick Peterson who is #1, or a Robert Quinn who is #7, or a Fairly who is #5. Then you move down to the next pick that is #40 and do the same format.

Now what is the reasoning behind this? Just to have some fun and see what kind of mocks people can come up with when certain restrictions are applied.

Here are the draft picks that the Cowboys have.

9, 40, 71, 109, 140, 171, 209, 251

No trades are allowed.

And I'll start it off.

1 - #9 Tyron Smith OT USC

2 - #40 Marcus Cannon OG TCU

3 - #71 Jerrelle Powe NT Mississippi

4 - #109 Kelvin Sheppard ILB LSU

5 - #140 Deunta Williams FS N Carolina

6 - #171 Cecil Shorts III WR Mount Union

7 - #209 Mark LeGree SS Appalchian St.

7 - #251 Zach Clayton DE Auburn

Reaction score
1 - Tyron Smith OT
2 - Justin Houston OLB
3 - Clint Boling, OG
4 - Robert Sands, FS
5 - Casey Matthews, ILB
6 - Brandon Fusco, C
7 - Richard Sherman, CB
7 - Josh Jasper, K

My first, second, and 5th rounders make my weiner hard.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I saw this done on another site and decided to import it here. On that site everyone did a mock draft based on overall cbssportsline rankings.

The way it works is like this: You cannot pick a player that is ranked before the # of the selection the Cowboys own.

For example, the Cowboys have the #9 pick in the 1st round. The earliest player that the Cowboys can pick based on cbssportsline ranking would be #9 Julio Jones. You cannot pick any of the previous 8. So no Patrick Peterson who is #1, or a Robert Quinn who is #7, or a Fairly who is #5. Then you move down to the next pick that is #40 and do the same format.

Now what is the reasoning behind this? Just to have some fun and see what kind of mocks people can come up with when certain restrictions are applied.

No trades are allowed.

And I'll start it off.

That's actually a pretty solid haul right there.

Props.

Reaction score
You made a mistake and accidentally quoted Laz's post, and not mine, Texas Ace.

So it looks to everyone like you're giving Laz props, and not me.

:awkward

sbk92

Reaction score
1(9) Tyron Smith T USC
2(40) Stephen Paea DT Oregon St.
3(71) Will Rackley G Lehigh
4(109) Brandon Hogan CB West Virginia
5(140) Austin Pettis WR Boise St.
6(171) Cedric Thornton DT Southern Arkansas
7(209) Eric Hagg S Nebraska
7(251) Akeem Dent ILB Georgia

kingdomcome1

Practice Squad
Reaction score

No trades are allowed.

And I'll start it off.

I'll take any draft that includes Cannon. He is going to be a beast at the next level.....

Reaction score
1 - Tyron Smith OT
2 - Justin Houston OLB
3 - Clint Boling, OG
4 - Robert Sands, FS
5 - Casey Matthews, ILB
6 - Brandon Fusco, C
7 - Richard Sherman, CB
7 - Josh Jasper, K

My first, second, and 5th rounders make my weiner hard.

Our wieners would be hard together if we had this draft.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Whether it's Powe or Paea, I don't care. We just need to get a true NT in here fast.

I've been wanting us to acquire one for 2 years now. I love Ratliff, but he's always been undersized and I always felt that it was only a matter of time before he wore down. Now, I'm not by any means suggesting that he's finished, but you could clearly see that he wasn't the same guy last year and I think a big reason for that is the pounding starting to take its toll.

In order to extend his career and keep him effective, we need some size in there to give him a breather. I think Josh Brent has shown flashes, but I don't like to depend on ifs and maybes.

I really like Kenrick Ellis and I think he's a sleeper in this draft. He's got big school talent but he had some off the field issues which is why he ended up at Hampton. But he's a really big guy that can move. He's not just this fat slob like Gilbert Brown was.

I'd love to pick that guy up in the 4th.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Whether it's Powe or Paea, I don't care. We just need to get a true NT in here fast.

I've been wanting us to acquire one for 2 years now. I love Ratliff, but he's always been undersized and I always felt that it was only a matter of time before he wore down. Now, I'm not by any means suggesting that he's finished, but you could clearly see that he wasn't the same guy last year and I think a big reason for that is the pounding starting to take its toll.

In order to extend his career and keep him effective, we need some size in there to give him a breather. I think Josh Brent has shown flashes, but I don't like to depend on ifs and maybes.

I really like Kenrick Ellis and I think he's a sleeper in this draft. He's got big school talent but he had some off the field issues which is why he ended up at Hampton. But he's a really big guy that can move. He's not just this fat slob like Gilbert Brown was.

I'd love to pick that guy up in the 4th.

Ratliff got worned down due to not having anyone decent enough to spell him, not because of his size. But yes, I would like Ellis.

sbk92

Reaction score
I was really surprised to see Hagg and Dent so low in their ratings.

But that's what makes the NFL Draft great.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You made a mistake and accidentally quoted Laz's post, and not mine, Texas Ace.

So it looks to everyone like you're giving Laz props, and not me.

:awkward

1 - Tyron Smith OT
2 - Justin Houston OLB
3 - Clint Boling, OG
4 - Robert Sands, FS
5 - Casey Matthews, ILB
6 - Brandon Fusco, C
7 - Richard Sherman, CB
7 - Josh Jasper, K

Actually Midswat, originally my first 3 picks nearly resembled yours, but instead of Houston I had Brooks Reed OLB Arizona.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ratliff got worned down due to not having anyone decent enough to spell him, not because of his size. But yes, I would like Ellis.

Yes that's true, but he is undersized and him constantly facing double teams definitely played their part and will continue to do so if he doesn't get any relief.

He didn't even make plays at the start of the year, so that's when he should've been fresh, wouldn't you agree? Again, I believe it it taking a toll on it's body so we need to do something before it's too late.

sbk92

Reaction score
They have Mario Addison as the 662nd rated prospect. Or undraftable if they held two drafts.

He's on my short list of late round flyers. Started one year at Troy and produced 10.5 sacks. Extremely raw. Played a couple of years at a community college. Certainly a developmental prospect but I don't know how you can't be interested in bringing a guy like this in for a look.

Last edited:

sbk92

Reaction score
No. Ratliff gets worn down because he's not a real 3-4 NT.

And it'll only get worse as he plays the back 9 of his career.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
No. Ratliff gets worn down because he's not a real 3-4 NT.

And it'll only get worse as he plays the back 9 of his career.

Exactly.

What he's accomplished to this point is impressive, but it was only a matter of time that the physicality of the position caught up with him.

I'd alternate series' with him and a rookie NT and give him all of the 3rd down plays to maximize his effectiveness.

sbk92

Reaction score
Exactly.

What he's accomplished to this point is impressive, but it was only a matter of time that the physicality of the position caught up with him.

I'd alternate series' with him and a rookie NT and give him all of the 3rd down plays to maximize his effectiveness.

Call me crazy, but I'm comfortable with Josh Brent starting at NT this year. We can always go back to Ratliff should that be a trainwreck.

I doubt it would though. Brent is a big nasty space eater.

Obviously Fat Rob's gonna move these guys all around to get favorable matchups. I'm down with that. But in our base front, Ratliff should be at end.

Top Bottom