onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
So they don't practice during OTAs?

You sure about that?

wow are you guys really this stupid?

OTA's are basically walk throughs- who calls that practice with a straight face?

A REAL football fan knows practice means pads and hitting and really getting down to it.

Not sure you guys are smart enough to figure that out.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Either way, the fact they let this ****** just not show up (and I doubt there are repercussions) just keeps showing how inept this organization is, no consistency, and shows Garrett is just a puppet. Jimmy would have taken away his starts.

Reaction score
wow are you guys really this stupid?

OTA's are basically walk throughs- who calls that practice with a straight face?

A REAL football fan knows practice means pads and hitting and really getting down to it.

Not sure you guys are smart enough to figure that out.

Organized Team Activities occur between late April and early May and are the only team/player practice allowed between the end of the season and the start next years training camp.

We talkin bout practice.

Last edited:

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
lol, yea this whole RKG thing is a fucking joke. Some say they mean football players and not choir boys and some say the opposite. McClain is living proof that Garrett is blowing smoke up our asses with his RKG bullshit.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
lol, yea this whole RKG thing is a fucking joke. Some say they mean football players and not choir boys and some say the opposite. McClain is living proof that Garrett is blowing smoke up our asses with his RKG bullshit.

Agreed, you can't stand there and say you want high character guys and guys dedicated and who love football and then have McClain on your team. Gregory too. Gregory was drafted with a premium pick though so I can see why he wasn't cut but McClain contract isn't a burden. They could cut him and it would have little impact on the cap.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Garrett is a joke. RKG, blah, blah, blah.

Coaches and players calling him a pussy. See Callahan and then Hardy.

Hardy on the sideline.

That Dez locker room rant where Witten walked over and stood between Dez and the reporter and then near the end of the video Red shows up, looks in the room, looks clueless and then walks away w/o saying or doing anything.

How can you have RKG's when you dont have the RKHC?

Reaction score
How can you have RKG's when you dont have the RKHC?

This is the real root of the problem. It isn't something that can be taught with on the job training either. You are either an alpha male or you are not. Garrett is an obvious doormat beta male. Only alpha males can be effective NFL coaches. Betas also don't make effective drill sergeants either which an NFL coach needs to be like in order to motivate grown men. This is why Garrett will never be effective as a head coach in my opinion.

Reaction score
I don't think the Cowboys have done anything like that since Jimmy left

The last CBA pretty much did away with real practice. The owners need to change that shit back next time the CBA is renegotiated. It is killing football across the league with a few rare exceptions like NE who I think practices the old way in secret.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
This is the real root of the problem. It isn't something that can be taught with on the job training either. You are either an alpha male or you are not. Garrett is an obvious doormat beta male. Only alpha males can be effective NFL coaches. Betas also don't make effective drill sergeants either which an NFL coach needs to be like in order to motivate grown men. This is why Garrett will never be effective as a head coach in my opinion.

Coming in to be the savior Red was heralded as the smartest guy around. It certainly hasnt taken 5 1/2 yrs to figure it out, but the game plans and monumental game day gaffes clearly show he isnt all that bright when it comes to football.

He has no creative or innovative qualities. Adds nothing on game day. The team could show up for each game with no HC on the sideline and there wouldnt be any negligible difference for the worse. Other than clapping or slapping a few butts I cant figure out what he does during games except listen in on playcalls and throw a red flag here and there when he's told to.

He's read some books on coaching and traveled the country on Jerry's dime visiting with some successful coaches but it hasnt made him a coach. The only real benefit to come from his coaching book library and coaching visit resume is he's picked up some coachspeak that has Jerry impressed enough to keep him around and he's prob got some autographs from the coaches he visited hanging on his wall.

If we actually had a real NFL HC, even middle of the road, these past 5 years we prob have 4 or 5 NFC East division titles.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Coming in to be the savior Red was heralded as the smartest guy around. It certainly hasnt taken 5 1/2 yrs to figure it out, but the game plans and monumental game day gaffes clearly show he isnt all that bright when it comes to football.

He has no creative or innovative qualities. Adds nothing on game day. The team could show up for each game with no HC on the sideline and there wouldnt be any negligible difference for the worse. Other than clapping or slapping a few butts I cant figure out what he does during games except listen in on playcalls and throw a red flag here and there when he's told to.

He's read some books on coaching and traveled the country on Jerry's dime visiting with some successful coaches but it hasnt made him a coach. The only real benefit to come from his coaching book library and coaching visit resume is he's picked up some coachspeak that has Jerry impressed enough to keep him around and he's prob got some autographs from the coaches he visited hanging on his wall.

If we actually had a real NFL HC, even middle of the road, these past 5 years we prob have 4 or 5 NFC East division titles.

Bingo!!!!!

Reaction score

If this post had tittays it would be the single best post in internet history

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, his nationwide tour of good coaches was always ridiculous. It would be like flying Troy Hambrick around the country to talk to Barry Sanders and Eric Dickerson and expecting it to make him a better back.

The best coaches have a natural talent and aptitude, no different from any other profession. No amount of note-taking will make the donkey that is Jason Garrett into a Kentucky Derby winner.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, his nationwide tour of good coaches was always ridiculous. It would be like flying Troy Hambrick around the country to talk to Barry Sanders and Eric Dickerson and expecting it to make him a better back.

The best coaches have a natural talent and aptitude, no different from any other profession. No amount of note-taking will make the donkey that is Jason Garrett into a Kentucky Derby winner.

Good coaches have to put the time in doing shit jobs and working their way up in the ranks learning along the way. Garrett didn't have to do that. As a result, he never really learned.

I'm convinced he threw a hissy fit when Phillips tried to get him a mentor in Reeves and that's why that fell apart

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good coaches have to put the time in doing shit jobs and working their way up in the ranks learning along the way. Garrett didn't have to do that. As a result, he never really learned.

I'm convinced he threw a hissy fit when Phillips tried to get him a mentor in Reeves and that's why that fell apart
No doubt about it. That's basically what the local radio shows were saying when that happened and Reeves made the rounds. The time clock requirement was just a bunch of nonsense thrown out by Jerry to make Reeves look like the bad guy, because you could tell Reeves really wanted the job and was crushed when he didn't get it.

Anyway, yes, good coaches put in the time doing the shit jobs, but I would say that as much as those jobs develop the good coaches, they identify them just the same. The vast majority of coaches simply don't have it in them to be great -- again, just like the elite of any profession -- and those lower-tier jobs weed out the candidates who aren't worthy in a very Darwinian fashion.

Garrett of course got to skip all that because he was a (virtual) family member, just like Steven and Charlotte and Junior.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Yep. The worst resume' ever in coaching history. It was like giving a top corporate officer slot to a guy with no degree, and no real experience.

What sucks is that I wanted him to succeed because it would have been a great chapter in the history of the franchise. Former unsung hero comes back to coach and leads the team to the glory days once again, but I knew it was a long shot because Jerry, and because of the lack of any solid qualifications to be the head coach.

Reaction score
This has got to be one of the most refreshing, truthful, fair and balanced threads ever. We should all pitch in and post this as a full page open letter to Jerry Jones in the Dallas Morning News.

Dear Jerry and Jones family,

[this thread]

Sincerely,
The Dallas Cowboys Universe

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The last CBA pretty much did away with real practice. The owners need to change that shit back next time the CBA is renegotiated. It is killing football across the league with a few rare exceptions like NE who I think practices the old way in secret.

While true to an extent, the Cowboys practices and training camps have been nothing but glorified patty cake exercises since Jimmy walked. It started with Switzer and has continued ever since. Might have been slightly better with Parcells, but Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Wade and Red Headed idiot have all run country club style practices and training camps since.

Top Bottom