Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
When have I ever played the fucking "homer card" with you.

I asked you a question.

You think free was good/terrific at one point, fine. I think what you saw was the best of the worst. Our entire line was shitty down the stretch in 08, and again in 09. 2010 free played LT, again, best if the worst.

When players get plugged in around him, though marginally better, you start to see what you have. A piece of junk that shouldn't ever be starting for your team.

Free with kosier next to him in 2010 was a good player, in 11 with Nagy/everyone else next to him his played dipped. This year with Mack next to him his play dipped again.

To act like he didn't play good in 09 and 2010 is foolish.

Gurode and Davis struggled in 09. Columbo was bad against Minnesota. Real bad.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Admitting Free played well 2 years ago doesn't change the fact that he's played like shit for the last 2 years and vice versa. Sometimes I read shit on these message boards and honestly wonder how people function in real life without being able to step back and look at a situation with a level head.

The guy looked good in 2010. Only like 6 LTs gave up fewer sacks, half of those guys giving up 1 less. Playing LT he gave up 1 less sack, had 4 less penalties and like 20 less "hurries" (yes I know PFF is shit in this stat but whatever). Albeit there were a couple more hits.

His overall grade in 2010 would have been 4th best in the NFL this year for OTs.

He played well until 2011 started and then he started looking like child with the way he was getting pushed around.

He should be gone either way. No need to go revisionist history on it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Admitting Free played well 2 years ago doesn't change the fact that he's played like shit for the last 2 years and vice versa. Sometimes I read shit on these message boards and honestly wonder how people function in real life without being able to step back and look at a situation with a level head.

The guy looked good in 2010. Only like 6 LTs gave up fewer sacks, half of those guys giving up 1 less. Playing LT he gave up 1 less sack, had 4 less penalties and like 20 less "hurries" (yes I know PFF is shit in this stat but whatever). Albeit there were a couple more hits.

His overall grade in 2010 would have been 4th best in the NFL this year for OTs.

He played well until 2011 started and then he started looking like child with the way he was getting pushed around.

It really is bizarre how he just fell off the planet. Unfortunately its eerily similar to Roy Williams (OU) who was really good, then just flatlined.

But there isnt much doubt he should be released. He was poor in 2011 and seemed to be even worse this year despite the hiring of a new OL coach.

Hopefully he doesnt go elsewhere and revert to 09/10 form.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Or just maybe the conversation was about whether or not he actually was good before, because he was and it would have been crazy not to resign him. It would have made zero sense to not resign our young left tackle coming off two good seasons and then go chase a free agent and hope he is okay when we had one in house.

He struggled in 2012. I imagine if what brad sham said was true and his knees are bothering him then that is the reason he has struggled. He is an athletic guy not a power guy, so if something is prohibiting his ability to move then that must be the culprit. Probably having inferior players lineup next to him the last two years with limited experience has exposed him some also.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He struggled in 2012. I imagine if what brad sham said was true and his knees are bothering him then that is the reason he has struggled. He is an athletic guy not a power guy, so if something is prohibiting his ability to move then that must be the culprit. Probably having inferior players lineup next to him the last two years with limited experience has exposed him some also.

He was awful in 2011 too though.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It really is bizarre how he just fell off the planet.
I heard one of the radio shows talking about this one night and they said people around the team don't understand what happened to him. They said it wasn't attitude because he was still a super hard worker like he always was.

My guess was always that he just lost his confidence. Maybe he had some nagging physical problems like theebs said.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I heard one of the radio shows talking about this one night and they said people around the team don't understand what happened to him. They said it wasn't attitude because he was still a super hard worker like he always was.

My guess was always that he just lost his confidence. Maybe he had some nagging physical problems like theebs said.

Its too bad, looked like we had found a gem in the 4th rd.

Like I said in other post, hopefully he doesnt go elsewhere and revert to the way he played in 09/10.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He was awful in 2011 too though.

He struggled in 11 I do t think he was awful honestly.

Rob pettiti was awful.

Having a rotating group of spare playing next to him and a struggling center in the middle probably played a part too.

Running kowalski, Nagy, out there probably didn't help. It's probably not a coincidence he was a better player with Kyle kosier next to him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And that was the last time anyone saw or heard from Ray Edwards.

Yep. Got a huge deal from Falcons and was a massive bust. All because someone thought beating a dinosaur RT playing on one leg was a really impressvie act.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
32 Million = complacency

Whatever the reason for his steady decline he has become a liability that could be replaced by a cardboard cutout without any decline in production.

Top Bottom