Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I dont disagree but Jerry has a habit of giving average players big contracts in there walk year

True, but the Eagles were apparently willing to offer a little less, if not just as much for Free.

Reaction score
He fooled me. I thought he was going to be a solid starter for years. He looked very good in relief of Columbo ....

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Thought the move back to RT would've been different for Free. Apparently he still sucks. I guess when he filled in for Flozell Adams it was just a fluke. He pretty much stole Jerry's money and I'm cool with that. Won't miss him at all.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There never should have been a start for Doug free.

nobody shoulda had to even know this guy.

he was a pile of shit 100% of the time.

He was terrific in 09 and played well in 2010.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
He was terrific in 09 and played well in 2010.

Terrific? What curve are you grading on?

Look, I admit, I've always thought the guy was a bum. Maybe my hatred for the offensive lines mediocrity has clouded my judgement, but I've never seen the guy play good football.

He did okay filling in for Columbo, who was already useless at that point in time. Free didnt completely shit the bed filling in at LT, but he was never starter quality, IMO.

Im interested in reading what your thoughts are on why he's on the verge of being released. If you and Dbair are correct, and the dude was a good football player a few short years ago, what's up with his drastic decline?

Reaction score
He replaced Colombo at RT in 09, then moved to LT in 2010

Played very well in both spots.

He did.

It is difficult to understand what happened.

Was it that it took a little while for him to be "figured out" by opponents?

Pure speculation on my part, of course, but I also wonder if perhaps in 2009 and 2010 he was taking performance enhancing goodies. And then stopped.

I'm grasping at straws here.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
He replaced Colombo at RT in 09, then moved to LT in 2010

Played very well in both spots.

Your definition of very well is skewed. He played very well in 09 as RT but he was pedestrian at LT in 10

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Your definition of very well is skewed. He played very well in 09 as RT but he was pedestrian at LT in 10

Not according to that service that grades the OL. He was ranked very high that year as I recall.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember Free getting a lot of help from TEs like Bennett and Phillips when he took over for Columbo in '09.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember Free getting a lot of help from TEs like Bennett and Phillips when he took over for Columbo in '09.

I'm sure he got some help, but plenty of starting tackles get "help" on certain plays, especially guys starting for the first times in their career.

It doesnt change the fact that he played very well there, or that the coaching staff made a huge blunder takig him out of the starting lineup for Colombo in the postseason.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
When he replaced Adams, yes. Whatever happened after that is beyond me. I'd say 10' was average at best.

Terrific? What curve are you grading on?

Look, I admit, I've always thought the guy was a bum. Maybe my hatred for the offensive lines mediocrity has clouded my judgement, but I've never seen the guy play good football.

He did okay filling in for Columbo, who was already useless at that point in time. Free didnt completely shit the bed filling in at LT, but he was never starter quality, IMO.

Im interested in reading what your thoughts are on why he's on the verge of being released. If you and Dbair are correct, and the dude was a good football player a few short years ago, what's up with his drastic decline?

Oh geez the homer bit again. You guys have got to come up with something better.

He replaced columbo after he was hurt. He was outstanding go back and watch. The only game he struggled in was the sd game his first one, he got pushed around early in the game and then bounced back in the second half.

he was one of the key reasons we made that run in 09, he was blocking buys at the line and then 15 yards down the field on the second level. part of the reason felix and the wr screens were good.

watch the eagles or saints game, he made repeated vicious hits on the second level. he was playing terrific.

His played dipped this year, I have no explanation for it but its cute how you guys always throw me and dbair out there like we are the retards because we actually remember seeing the guy play well. This homer shit is stupid.

go back and watch that stretch in 09, watch him play in 10. He was a good player and earned his contract. Whatever happened this year that caused him to struggle this year I dont know, Brad sham said early in the year that he was having a lot of problems with his knees and was constantly getting treatment on them and it was affecting him but he never talked about it....Most reporters didnt know about because they didnt talk to him in there like brad did I guess. So maybe his body is breaking down and his athletic ability was his best trait, which would now be compromised.

or i could just be a dumbfuck cause I think he was a good player a few years ago.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If you and Dbair are correct, and the dude was a good football player a few short years ago, what's up with his drastic decline?

Nah, we've never seen anything like that.

Roy Williams OU

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Oh geez the homer bit again. You guys have got to come up with something better.

He replaced columbo after he was hurt. He was outstanding go back and watch. The only game he struggled in was the sd game his first one, he got pushed around early in the game and then bounced back in the second half.

he was one of the key reasons we made that run in 09, he was blocking buys at the line and then 15 yards down the field on the second level. part of the reason felix and the wr screens were good.

watch the eagles or saints game, he made repeated vicious hits on the second level. he was playing terrific.

His played dipped this year, I have no explanation for it but its cute how you guys always throw me and dbair out there like we are the retards because we actually remember seeing the guy play well. This homer shit is stupid.

go back and watch that stretch in 09, watch him play in 10. He was a good player and earned his contract. Whatever happened this year that caused him to struggle this year I dont know, Brad sham said early in the year that he was having a lot of problems with his knees and was constantly getting treatment on them and it was affecting him but he never talked about it....Most reporters didnt know about because they didnt talk to him in there like brad did I guess. So maybe his body is breaking down and his athletic ability was his best trait, which would now be compromised.

or i could just be a dumbfuck cause I think he was a good player a few years ago.

When have I ever played the fucking "homer card" with you.

I asked you a question.

You think free was good/terrific at one point, fine. I think what you saw was the best of the worst. Our entire line was shitty down the stretch in 08, and again in 09. 2010 free played LT, again, best if the worst.

When players get plugged in around him, though marginally better, you start to see what you have. A piece of junk that shouldn't ever be starting for your team.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
He did.

It is difficult to understand what happened.

Was it that it took a little while for him to be "figured out" by opponents?

Pure speculation on my part, of course, but I also wonder if perhaps in 2009 and 2010 he was taking performance enhancing goodies. And then stopped.

I'm grasping at straws here.

I don't think necessarily that teams figured him out, he just doesn't cope well when a DE can switch from speed to power. He's not a mauler and isn't terribly great as an athlete. I mean he would be fine if he were going up against DEs who used either speed or power, but he can't handle when both are utilized.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When have I ever played the fucking "homer card" with you.

I asked you a question.

You think free was good/terrific at one point, fine. I think what you saw was the best of the worst. Our entire line was shitty down the stretch in 08, and again in 09. 2010 free played LT, again, best if the worst.

When players get plugged in around him, though marginally better, you start to see what you have. A piece of junk that shouldn't ever be starting for your team.

The 2009 OL was not shitty. Everybody goes off the deep end because of the Minnesota game, but that game they started Colombo (on one leg) and Adams got hurt at LT early, and never returned.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Let there be no doubt. Doug Free plowed Sheik's sister and she couldnt walk for days afterward.

Top Bottom