Reaction score
Looking at 2011 salary-cap figures

February, 7, 2011

By Pat Yasinskas
I just reached into the NFC South mailbag to start reading the post-Super Bowl notes. I’ll come back with some hot spots later this afternoon, but one note caught my attention because it’s worthy of an individual post.

Jonathan in Pleasant Grove, Utah, referred back to my Jan. 13 post in which I listed what each team has committed to the 2011 salary cap. He asked if I could provide numbers for the entire league. I’ll do that in a minute, but let me just clarify a couple of things. First off, some of the NFC South numbers are a bit different than they were Jan. 13 because teams have signed players to futures contracts.

As you all know, there’s a lot of uncertainty about the labor situation for 2011. These numbers don’t include what restricted free agents, exclusive-rights free agents or franchise players would count toward the cap because we don’t know that -- and won’t until there is a labor agreement in place. And, although we know there will be a 2011 draft no matter what, these numbers don’t include rookie salaries. The numbers below are only for players currently under contract for the 2011 season.

Also, we won’t know what the 2011 salary cap for all teams will be until there’s a deal in place. For reference, the salary cap in 2009, the last capped year was right about $130 million.

* Arizona $83 million
* Atlanta $102.1 million
* Baltimore $101.3 million
* Buffalo $96.4 million
* Carolina $73 million
* Chicago $104.9 million
* Cincinnati $90.7 million
* Cleveland $99.2 million
* Dallas $136.6 million
* Denver $125 million
* Detroit $113.8 million
* Green Bay $129.8 million
* Houston $118.4 million
* Indianapolis $115.5 million
* Jacksonville $78.1 million
* Kansas City $74.7 million
* Miami $103.1 million
* Minnesota $108.4 million
* New England $102.3 million
* New Orleans $105.2 million
* New York Giants $126.3 million
* New York Jets $128.5 million
* Oakland $85.8 million
* Philadelphia $80.8 million
* Pittsburgh $116 million
* San Diego $85.8 million
* San Francisco $100.9 million
* Seattle $81.1 million
* St. Louis $102.4 million
* Tampa Bay $59.7 million
* Tennessee $107.4 million
* Washington $115.2 million

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Are we seriously the highest? for a 6-10 team? This is a rallying cry for the Jerry lovers..."see he spends money". To me this shows exactly how poor of a job Jerry is doing.

sbk92

Reaction score
Wow, so just about everybody else in the league has a boatload to spend and we're maxed out.

Thank God for that cap guru Stephen Jones.

Cythim

Reaction score
And we haven't even signed our Free Agents yet. Or drafted at #9 overall.

Cythim

Reaction score
Our biggest cap costs in 2011:

Romo ~ $13m
Newman ~ $11m
Davis ~ $9.5m
Austin ~ $8.5m
Ware ~ $8m
Gurode ~ $8m
Roy ~ $7m
Barber ~ $6m
Witten ~ $6m
James ~ $5m
Ratliff ~ $5m

sbk92

Reaction score
Our biggest cap costs in 2011:

Romo ~ $13m
Newman ~ $11m - Bad Contract
Davis ~ $9.5m - Bad Contract
Austin ~ $8.5m - Bad Contract
Ware ~ $8m
Gurode ~ $8m - Bad Contract
Roy ~ $7m - Bad Contract
Barber ~ $6m - Bad Contract
Witten ~ $6m
James ~ $5m
Ratliff ~ $5m

Wasting money on 6 players.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
How many contracts did Stephen and Jerry restructure and front load into this last uncapped year?

Oh.

Cythim

Reaction score
most of the contracts are still back loaded. All of those contracts I listed get bigger over the next three or four seasons.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
most of the contracts are still back loaded. All of those contracts I listed get bigger over the next three or four seasons.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not a cap guru. It would have made sense to me to restructure a lot of those big contracts to be more front loaded into this past year. Free up some cap going forward. I know a lot of fans were saying go spend the money in this uncapped year, but it should have been a time for fixing your cap, not standing pat.

Again, maybe I'm wrong.

Cythim

Reaction score
They backload contracts so you can give an older player a big contract and cut him before he gets too expensive. The only cap saving measure I can find that the Boys got away with was giving Austin his entire signing bonus as guaranteed money in 2010 so it won't ever hit the cap. These next two years the Cowboys will need to cut a lot of the fat with guys like Barber, Roy, Newman and 3/5 of our offensive line.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That would save us a grand total of $17M. If we drop Igor as well we are at $20M saved.

What about Davis and Colombo? Also, I keep hearing that we may take a $12 million cap hit if we release Roy.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thing is, that is not the salary cap figure for 2011. Nobody knows what it will be. Yasinkas just took a number from 2009 and applied it as an estimate.

Reaction score
I've got an idea, let's knee-jerk and teeth gnash over something that no one really has any clear idea on.

Sound like a plan?

Top Bottom