LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Redskins-Cowboys matchups: quarterbacks

So entering this post, the Redskins and Cowboys are tied at 2-2 in my matchups. I will declare who I believe has the edge, but this is a comparison, not a matchup.

Let's start with quarterbacks, Donovan McNabb is in a new city playing with a new team and learning a new system. Tony Romo joined the Cowboys as free agent in 2003 and had his first start in 2006, so he has been with his team his entire career and has been with Wade since 2007. Advantage: Romo.

Although he's new to the team, McNabb is a proven winner. Since entering the NFL in 1999, McNabb set the following team records in Philadelphia:

Career attempts -- 4,303
Career completions -- 2,534
Passing yards -- 29,320
Passing touchdowns -- 203
Single-season completions -- 345, 2008 season
Single-season Yards -- 3,916, 2008 season
NFC championship appearances -- five

Romo has no such distinctions on his resume, so if I had to choose who I want to lead my team, I'm going with McNabb. Advantage: McNabb.

Romo has more talent at wide receiver and a deep stable of running backs, but his offensive line without injured right tackle Marc Colombo is young and inexperienced. Can Romo stay upright? Can he overcome the question marks surrounding his tackles?

Here's what needs to happen. Romo is not a running running back, so the Cowboys will test their run game first to see if the Redskins can stop them. If they are successful in establishing the running game, Romo should have the edge. The success of the running attack will draw more defenders into the box, making it much easier to throw the ball. Play-action fakes will be effective as well, so in this game, Romo's success will stem from whether or not his offensive line can block well enough to establish the run.

As for McNabb, he doesn't have as much talent at receiver and has question marks in his back field, so here's what has to happen. The Redskins must also try to establish the run, because this front seven of Dallas is so good that if the Skins can't run, it will force McNabb to win with his arm. He most likely will have to be mobile in the passing game to find clear throwing lanes. Shanahan will also have to help him by moving what could be his best receivers in tight ends Chris Cooley and Fred Davis in space to create matchup problems for Dallas. I look for McNabb and Cooley to hook up early and often. If they are successful, it will open up the airways for McNabb to hit Santana Moss or Joey Galloway downfield.

I give Romo the overall edge in this game for these reasons:

>> familiarity with the offensive system;

>> familiarity with the coaching staff and team (the better a QB knows his coach, the better he is in game adjustment -- a great example would be Drew Brees and Sean Payton in New Orleans);

>> more targets in the passing game, between his receivers and tight ends.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well I'll take Romo over McNabb. Much of all that McNabb accomplished was when he was younger. You're stuck in a time warp Lavar. Especially after last year... I'll definitely take Romo. It's funny how now that McNabb is on the Redskins that he is a "proven winner", but when he was with the Eagles, Redskins' fans labeled him a choker, like they do with Romo.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My head hurts when I try to read Lavar's analysis.

I can explain that.

A few million of your brain cells have died and as a result your IQ dropped slightly. Be careful... constant exposure to this kind of analysis, can eventuall leave you brain dead, and the early onset symptoms of that would be that Lavar's analysis start to make sense to you.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Whatever happened to him?

Ever since The Midget gave him a $20 Million signing bonus he disappeared.

Top Bottom