LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This fucker is very much a homer and a non-intelligent one at that. Very agenda-driven in trying to put the Redskins as having an advantage.

Here's the first one.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Redskins-Cowboys matchups: Rabach vs. Ratliff
During the course of the week I will post what I believe to be the key matchups to watch during Sunday night's Redskins-Cowboys game. My first highlighted matchup is the battle between Redskins center Casey Rabach and Cowboys tackle Jay Ratliff. Here's what to look for:

Will the smaller Rabach be able to slow down the much bigger and stronger Ratliff? Very few offensive lines were able to slow Ratliff down last year as he had one of his most impressive seasons as a professional football player.

Rabach is coming out of an off-season in which he was not only retained but given a contract extension for his services. So Rabach should be poised to start this season very fast. Also, the Redskins' offensive line had a poor showing last season, which gives Rabach and the rest of this group added incentive to do better this year.

The challenge for Rabach will be to keep Ratliff from disrupting the run and pass game on the inside. If Casey can slow him down, chances are the Redskins offense will have a better chance of finding a groove early on in the game. If he can't, it could turn into a very long evening for Rabach, Donovan McNabb and the rest of the offense.

Ratliff and this Cowboy team have come up short the last three seasons, but seem poised to make a legitimate run at a championship this year. If that's going to happen the Dallas defense is going to have to play even better than it has in years past, and it all starts with Ratliff setting the tone up front. Will he be able to collapse the pocket, forcing McNabb to scramble outside? Will Ratliff be able to disrupt the center of the line enough to create roadblocks for Clinton Portis and company to have to run around in the running game?

If you ask me who has the edge in this matchup, I have to pick Ratliff. One on one it's a tall task for anyone to block him, so look for Rabach to get help early and often.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here is his second one.

Redskins-Cowboys matchups: Redskins outside linebackers vs. Cowboys offensive tackles

One position on this Redskins team that I have confidence in is outside linebacker. It just so happens that one of the Redskins' strengths is matched up against one of Dallas's biggest question marks -- the offensive tackles.

Both tackles for the Cowboys are first-year starters, unproven and untested. Robert Brewster has one year in the NFL but was on the injured reserve list last year. Doug Free has four years in the NFL but no real game experience, especially as a starter. Both are tall -- Free is 6-6, Brewster 6-4 -- and each is listed at 320 pounds, which means they most certainly will struggle with the speed and strength of Washington's outside linebackers.

Can these young tackles protect Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo in the passing game? Will they be effective in the run game? Will their youth and inexperience be a factor in this game?

Brian Orakpo is coming off of a Pro Bowl year at a new position for him. Andre Carter easily could have joined Orakpo in the Pro Bowl. Both had very productive years, with high numbers in the sack column. Both are gifted pass rushers and strong against the run. Will Orakpo and Carter be able to take advantage of these inexperienced tackles? Can they provide the pressure from the edges to make Romo uncomfortable? Can they force Romo into turnovers?

In my opinion, the edge clearly goes to the Redskins linebackers. These guys have far too much talent, strength, speed and experience over the Cowboys' young offensive tackles.

So far, I have the key matchups tied at one apiece. Please stay tuned for more of my Redskins vs. Dallas matchups! And don't forget to check out "Redskins Insider Live," our weekly webcast where Rick Maese, Dan Steinberg and I talk about Sunday night's Cowboys game.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ok Mr. Cheapshot... if you are going to give serious and credible analysis/breakdowns, it would help if you knew what you were talking about.

1.) Brewster will not be starting unless Barron gets hurt. And Barron only starts IF Colombo does not play. So yeah... with Free and Brewster, I'd give the Redskins the edge. With Free and Barron... not so much, it kind of even things up. But you left out a number of varibles.

But more importanly, your claim that Free had no "real game experience"...? He started SEVEN GAMES LAST YEAR. And in two of those games he faced off against your boy Orakpo and SHUT HIM DOWN! Go and watch the games. In fact, Barron also shut down Orakpo. Neither Orakpo, Carter, and Haynesworth were a factor last year. And you deliberately choose to not acknowledge that Carter struggled in the 3-4. He's better suited as a 4-3 DE.

Reaction score
Im not sure he's a homer. I don't think he left that team on the best of terms, and he's been pretty critical of the organization and it's players on several occassions.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here's the third.

Redskins-Cowboys matchups: DeAngelo Hall & Carlos Rogers vs. Miles Austin & Roy Williams

This will be one of the most intense matchups of the game. DeAngelo Hall is a fierce competitor and I'm assuming Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett is going to give Hall exclusive rights to wide receiver Miles Austin. But if Haslett lines the secondary up in a true 3-4 defense, Hall will be on the left side and Carlos Rogers on the right side. This would mean both corners could get their fair share of Austin.

The key to this matchup will come down to Hall's and Rogers's ability to take Austin out of the game. Austin was selected to the 2010 Pro Bowl, his first, and led the NFC (and was third overall in the NFL) with 1,320 receiving yards in the 2009 season. He also tied for first in the NFC with 11 receiving touchdowns, even though he started only 11 games. If Hall and Rogers can cover him well enough, then the Cowboys will have to rely on either running the ball, getting it to tight end Jason Witten, or hoping that Roy Williams is finally able to be a consistent playmaker.

I wouldn't count on it.

Williams was brought into Dallas to replace Terrell Owens, but his lack of production has been disappointing. In his first season with the Cowboys, he started seven games, caught 19 passes for 198 yards and scored one touchdown. That said, he is capable of a big game, so the Redskins cornerbacks have to be careful not to be overconfident in their approach to covering him.

Austin, on the other hand, is a baller and will demand the attention of defenders every play. If you give this guy an inch, he will get the ball and run miles, pun intended. He's very talented and very crafty, so whoever has him in coverage will have to be ready to deal with his lunchpail-worker mentality.

It will be interesting to see if the Redskins play more zone defense, rather than press man coverage. The 3-4 defense is based off of deception, meaning you don't know who's blitzing from where and where players are in coverage. This could lead to a classic game of cat and mouse between corners and receivers. Austin and Williams, along with Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, will have to figure out how they are being covered if they want to avoid turnovers. It should be fun to watch.

If Brian Orakpo and Andre Carter win their matchup in the pass-rush game, then you have to believe the pressure will disrupt Romo's ability to read the coverages and force him to get rid of the ball more quickly or risk being sacked. Whichever one it is, I believe it plays into the hands of the Redskins defense.

Rogers is a very talented cornerback who is pretty consistent with his coverage. If Rogers ever decides to start catching some of those passes he breaks up, he could be on his way to his first Pro Bowl. As for Hall, we all know he's going to take chances. He plays a big risk-big reward style, and he usually comes out on top. If he comes out ahead with his risk-taking, they should have a great night of football.

I did not include Witten in this matchup because he will be the responsibility of the linebackers and safeties. So with this matchup, the advantage has to go in favor of the Redskin's corners.

Advantage: Redskins corners, that makes it 2-1 in favor of the Redskins.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Im not sure he's a homer. I don't think he left that team on the best of terms, and he's been pretty critical of the organization and it's players on several occassions.

He patched things up for awhile with Snyder, but then that changed somehow. Anyway, he's always hated the Cowboys. I still remember when the Redskins finally beat the Cowboys in Texas Stadium after how many years, Arrington went on to The Star and danced on it. The pathetic thing was that he didn't even play in that game---he was on the bench.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Gee Lavar... how come you didn't include Dez into this matchup? Because IF you do that, then you have to give the advantage to the Cowboys. How do these matchups fare if and when Austin is in the slot with Dez on the outside? Forget Williams. You're assuming this matchup based on Austin out wide.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here's the fourth.

Redskins-Cowboys matchups: Trent Williams vs. DeMarcus Ware

Talk about the worst possible first-game challenges for a rookie. The NFL is a place where it takes time to put the tools in the toolbox for challenges like the one Trent Williams faces against DeMarcus Ware Sunday night. Unfortunately for Williams, his toolbox doesn't include the tool of experience yet. Which gives Trent only a small -- and I mean a very small -- chance to come out on top in this matchup.

Here's the rundown on Ware. In 80 NFL games, he has recorded 356 tackles, 64.5 sacks, 61 tackles for a loss, 23 forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries (one of which he returned 69 yards for a touchdown), 18 passes defended and one interception that he returned 41 yards for a touchdown. His stats are scary, Ware is arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.

Here are the reasons why Williams will struggle with Ware.

Ware has really long arms and giant hands. He keeps blockers away from his body pretty much every play, run or pass. This allows Ware to execute pass rush moves or read for the run. It's very difficult to block a man when you can't get a hold of him. It's also frustrating. So it will be worth watching to see if Williams gets frustrated trying to block Ware, and how he reacts under this pressure.

Ware also is very strong and agile. In the 3-4 defensive scheme that Dallas runs, players are encouraged to get up field, seek the ball out and go get it. With that type of freedom, look for Ware to bull rush Williams early with that strength and those long arms. By doing this, Ware will be creating more and more for Williams to process. Once this happens, watch for Ware to use more technical pass rush moves.

Here's what Williams must do to have a chance.

He must be patient when the ball is snapped on pass plays. I'm sure he will have blocking help from the Redskins' running backs, so he must get back off the ball as quickly as he can without giving up too much space inside. This will force Ware to climb higher in his rush. Then he hopefully will run into a chip block from a back or far enough up field to give Donovan McNabb a chance to pass the ball. If Williams can keep Ware in front of him and use Ware's reach advantage against him by basically "Dancing with a Star" this will also buy time for the passer.

In the run game, Williams is going to have to get off the ball quickly, but under control. Again, I'm assuming there will be a back or tight end to assist Williams. He will need help all night against Ware. With a lot of help, Williams could enjoy some success, but without a doubt the edge in this matchup goes to Ware.

This evens things up at two apiece. Stay tuned for my next matchup. It will be a head to head comparisons of the Redskins and Cowboys quarterbacks and running backs.

Reaction score
Keep them coming Laz this joke has me laughing at my desk.

Mr. Hangup on all Dallas fans when they call his show cause he can't debate.lol

Reaction score
Yep, I thought I would check out the show last year to laugh at the skin callers....But whenever a fan called and stated he was a Cowboy fan "CLICK" without explanation, no matter what. " We don't accept calls from Dallas fans " he said....I never listened again.

C

Cr122

Both tackles for the Cowboys are first-year starters, unproven and untested. Robert Brewster has one year in the NFL but was on the injured reserve list last year. Doug Free has four years in the NFL but no real game experience, especially as a starter. Both are tall -- Free is 6-6, Brewster 6-4 -- and each is listed at 320 pounds, which means they most certainly will struggle with the speed and strength of Washington's outside linebackers.

No shat, who told this guy Brewster was starting? lol

Too bad it's Barron and he has started in the NFL before, so I think he can handle the job against the outside linebackers.

Like LL mentioned Free did a good job against Orakpo so I think Barron should do okay at right tackle.

sbk92

Reaction score
Most fans can't handle different opinions.

If it's pro their team, the guy is a great analyst to be respected.

If it's anti their team, the guy's an unprofessional nitwit who isn't worth reading.

Reaction score

If it's anti their team, the guy's an unprofessional nitwit who isn't worth reading.

I'm cool with of them if its close and they go with the other team just know what your talking about and who's starting...

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Whatever dumbfuck. I brokedown his analysis and noticed some inconsistencies. Has nothing to do with not being able to handle his opinions, I just voiced my opinion in contrast to his. But I do have a problem when somebody voices their opinion and don't knwo what the fuck theya re talking about... like when he lists Brewster as the start at RT. He's flat out wrong. That's not an opinion.

Top Bottom