dgfred

Spectator
Reaction score
There is a top 3 reasons why Dallas has the pick it does:
1- QB behind fragile starter
2- Horrible D.
3- Poor play calling because of 1 going down.

How do you not fix problem #1?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not really buying anything Jerruh says. Its obvious of all the people at VR, he has less brain cells than all of them.

I think they end up with Wentz or Goff if one is available at 4, and I definitely wont be shocked if they trade up to secure the 1 they really want (if there's a preference in the organization)

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I definitely wont be shocked if they trade up to secure the 1 they really want

Gawd, I'd hate that. I see no evidence that there is a player so valuable that justifies giving up additional draft compensation to move up 1-3 spots. We may be able to look back in a few years and see someone that would justify doing this but I don't see how it could be prudent with what we know now, especially considering the number of needs they have. I'd prefer to trade down and pick up more players to increase the chances of success because the draft is better attacked with a shotgun than a sniper rifle imo

If they trade up, it'll smack of past desperation by jerri where he sees ghosts coming after his pet cat and starts giving away picks in a panic only to find out later that no one would have touched this guy for a round or more, if at all

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gawd, I'd hate that. I see no evidence that there is a player so valuable that justifies giving up additional draft compensation to move up 1-3 spots. We may be able to look back in a few years and see someone that would justify doing this but I don't see how it could be prudent with what we know now, especially considering the number of needs they have. I'd prefer to trade down and pick up more players to increase the chances of success because the draft is better attacked with a shotgun than a sniper rifle imo

If they trade up, it'll smack of past desperation by jerri where he sees ghosts coming after his pet cat and starts giving away picks in a panic only to find out later that no one would have touched this guy for a round or more, if at all

Franchise QB's are exceedingly hard to find when you don't have a top pick. If they firmly believe one guy is a true franchise QB then they'd be stupid to at least not look into it. I'm not advocating giving away the farm like Washington did for RG3 (three 1sts and a 2nd) but the cost may not be anywhere near that for us now because Tennessee has already let it be known that they want to move the #1 pick.

Again, I wouldn't do it if they think (scouts, not Jones) Wentz and/or Goff are just run of the mill guys, but if they think one (or both) is special they should definitely look into it. If they could get TN to accept something like this year's and next year's first, Ronald Leary and maybe a mid rd pick or two, that's a small price to pay for a franchise altering player, and nothing changes the course of a franchise more than having a top of the line starting QB. While there are examples of some teams winning championships with so-so QB's, the fact is far more championships are won by teams with big time starting QB's. Teams with elite QB's are almost always going to be contenders year over year as well.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Based on, what?

Based on the fact nobody with any real sense there can possibly believe a broken down Romo can really last 4-5 more years. I also doubt anyone there really thinks he lasts 2-3 more years (other than idiot Jerry)

Further, as dumb as Jerry is he did state on numerous occasions publicly that he regretted the way the team (and specifically him) neglected the QB situation at the end of (and right after) Troy's career and vowed he wouldn't do something similar again.

Well, he gets his chance to do something about that this time.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Franchise QB's are exceedingly hard to find when you don't have a top pick. If they firmly believe one guy is a true franchise QB then they'd be stupid to at least not look into it. I'm not advocating giving away the farm like Washington did for RG3 (three 1sts and a 2nd) but the cost may not be anywhere near that for us now because Tennessee has already let it be known that they want to move the #1 pick.

Again, I wouldn't do it if they think (scouts, not Jones) Wentz and/or Goff are just run of the mill guys, but if they think one (or both) is special they should definitely look into it. If they could get TN to accept something like this year's and next year's first, Ronald Leary and maybe a mid rd pick or two, that's a small price to pay for a franchise altering player, and nothing changes the course of a franchise more than having a top of the line starting QB. While there are examples of some teams winning championships with so-so QB's, the fact is far more championships are won by teams with big time starting QB's. Teams with elite QB's are almost always going to be contenders year over year as well.

I certainly agree IF there's a QB of that caliber out there this year but from what I've read from the pundits, that doesn't appear to be the case (which they could be dead wrong and most likely someone will look phenomenal in retrospect)

I just don't trust the structure of the organization not to fuck up the process versus a pure evaluation uninfluenced by outside forces like Jonso the clown.

No doubt I'd give up a hell of a lot to obtain a QB like Rogers..if only it was that easy

since its not, I prefer the most picks I can obtain and let math cover my ass

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Based on the fact nobody with any real sense there can possibly believe a broken down Romo can really last 4-5 more years. I also doubt anyone there really thinks he lasts 2-3 more years (other than idiot Jerry)

Further, as dumb as Jerry is he did state on numerous occasions publicly that he regretted the way the team (and specifically him) neglected the QB situation at the end of (and right after) Troy's career and vowed he wouldn't do something similar again.

Well, he gets his chance to do something about that this time.
Yeah, they mean signing another veteran FA not using the #4 pick on a future franchise QB. They really DO think they gots this with Moore and a veteran.
You just give that whole Yes Man crew way too much credit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess we'll see. Hopefully they do the right thing.

But as I have said repeatedly, they may WANT Wentz or Goff and end up not getting a chance at either. I can definitely see both of them gone before we pick at 4.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Same here.

But as I have said repeatedly, they may WANT Wentz or Goff and end up not getting a chance at either. I can definitely see both of them gone before we pick at 4.
I bet they bypass either of the three main ones talked about, even if they're all still there at #4.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Same here.

I bet they bypass either of the three main ones talked about, even if they're all still there at #4.

If they bypass the top 3 guys and decide to go with a QB in the middle rounds they'll end up with the next Stephen McGee. We'll be looking at 8-8 for at least the next decade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

If they do that, it better be because they firmly believe there isn't much special about any of them.

I'm on the fence about Lynch. I think he has a pretty high upside but needs more time and coaching than the other two. I think Wentz and Goff are clearly worth our pick. I think it was Mosley who threw out this weekend that the Cowboy people like Lynch as well and that a trade down would be possible.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We'll be looking at 8-8 for at least the next decade.
That's happening regardless, based on the record of the last 20 years.
If they do that, it better be because they firmly believe there isn't much special about any of them.
"Better be" or what> You gone go beat 'em up for us?

Iamtdg

Reaction score

The only way I see both being gone is if someone trades up to get in front of us.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Rams are looking to trade up to get their next QB so it's a very likely scenario

Top Bottom