Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jerry Jones anticipates Tony Romo being back by OTAs

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
11:09 am on December 27, 2013 | Permalink

Minutes after Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett revealed that Tony Romo had back surgery Friday morning, Jerry Jones was already discussing the quarterback’s future.

“My expectation is that one of the pluses for having had it done as early as this morning is that it would really contribute to him being able to get right there when it comes time for the team to be in OTAs and do the preparation, the beginning of the preparation for next year,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “The OTAs are what we call the equivalent of our spring practice. So we would anticipate him being right on time there and expect it and we’ll see how it goes.”

The Cowboys owner and general manager also said that a 33-year-old Romo having a second back surgery in the last eight months will not force him to spend an early-round draft pick on a quarterback in May.

“You’d like to every spring pick up a quarterback,” Jones said. “I think the real issue and maybe your question would be, ‘would you seriously consider using a significant draft pick for a quarterback?’ That’s early. That’s way too early to do that with the way things are today with my expectation of Tony’s career, which I think will be for several years to come, it’s too early to be drafting a highly ranked or if you will costly quarterback.”

The Cowboys have not drafted a quarterback since using a fourth-round pick on Stephen McGee in 2009

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys don't fear for Romo's future after a second back surgery in eight months

The Cowboys signed Tony Romo to a six-year, $108 million contract with $55 million guaranteed last March. He has undergone two back surgeries since.

Romo had a cyst removed in April, and underwent back surgery Friday morning for a herniated disc. Dr. Drew Dossett, a team doctor, preformed both surgeries.

The Cowboys say the two surgeries are unrelated and insist they do not have fears about Romo's future. Romo turns 34 in April.

"As you can imagine, I probably have a better knowledge or familiarity with Tony’s earlier surgery this spring and this one than I ever have on my own body," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said on his weekly radio show on KRLD-FM. "And so from everything I know from talking to several people personally, there’s no relation between these and wouldn’t look to be a chronic-type, of the chronic nature. Now, again, I’m going to be very limited as to what we can go into medically. I know when we say back surgery that absolutely covers the world. All you and I have to do or anybody is have back issues and there are so many that have them and so many that have them treated that there, without exaggeration, there are all kinds of solutions – surgically and non-surgically – and those were considered by the way in this situation."

-- Charean Williams

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m
In a draft that won't have the slam-dunk, top-shelf QBs, but should be deep with good ones, it'll be interesting to see if Dallas grabs one

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
The Cowboys owner and general manager also said that a 33-year-old Romo having a second back surgery in the last eight months will not force him to spend an early-round draft pick on a quarterback in May.

So he's at least thinking about this,IMO.
Which is really weird considering our most successful QB since Aikman wasn't even drafted.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
"As you can imagine, I probably have a better knowledge or familiarity with Tony’s earlier surgery this spring and this one than I ever have on my own body," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones

Oh we all knew that, Dr. Jerry. Don't you worry.

That tells that it was something major and not a cyst.

Last edited:

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Here's the article where Jerry talks about not using a high pick for a QB.

Jerry: Cowboys won't use high pick on QB

IRVING, Texas -- A replacement plan for Tony Romo won’t be near the top of Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones’ priority list this offseason.

The Cowboys are committed to Romo as the franchise quarterback of the foreseeable future after signing him to a six-year, $108 million extension with $55 million in guaranteed money last offseason. Jones said he is not concerned about the 33-year-old Romo having chronic back issues despite two surgeries in the last eight months that the Cowboys consider unrelated.

Jones said the Cowboys want to add a developmental quarterback prospect this offseason, but they will not use a high draft pick on the position.

“You’d like to every spring pick up a quarterback,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan. “I think the real issue and maybe your question would be, would you seriously consider using a significant draft pick for a quarterback? That’s early. That’s way too early to do that with the way things are today with my expectation of Tony’s career, which I think will be for several years to come.

“It’s too early to be drafting a highly ranked or, if you will, costly quarterback.”

The Cowboys have drafted only one quarterback during the 11-year career of Romo, who was undrafted. They selected Stephen McGee out of Texas A&M in the fourth round of the 2009 draft.

The Cowboys have not used an early pick on a quarterback since selecting Quincy Carter with the 53rd overall pick in 2001.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
So Jerry, who told us not to worry about the cyst surgery, is now telling us not to worry about a much more invasive type of back surgery. Sure, why not.

Reaction score
The only hope now is that the reports of romo being pissed about Ginger throwing him under the bus for the Packers loss are true. Romo might be the only person with the power to get Ginger canned.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So Jerry, who told us not to worry about the cyst surgery, is now telling us not to worry about a much more invasive type of back surgery. Sure, why not.

What are you talking about?

This was a direct Jerry quote from Monday:

“All I’m saying is he has back spasms, symptoms that we’re treating as we go along in the week to see if he will play. There is nothing structurally that will rule him out if he feels good and is cleared to play. Nothing.”

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Troy Aikman: My back led to my retirement; Romo's back should concern Cowboys

SportsDayDFW.com

Troy Aikman was asked Thursday in a talk with Norm Hitzges on SportsRadio KTCK-AM 1310 and 96.7 FM The Ticket about his back problems a day before Tony Romo's surgery. The Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback and Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl winner described his issues and saw similarities in what Romo is facing.

"There are a lot of people that believe the concussions led to my retirement, but nothing could be further from the truth," Aikman said. "I then, nor now, have ever experienced anything that had to deal with the concussions. I had surgery back when I was 26. I was young when I had my first back surgery following our first Super Bowl victory and didn't miss any time for it.

"Then, going into my last year, I was having some back issues," Aikman said. "I took epidural shots, as I understand Tony [Romo] had this week, and the first time I took them was before the Jacksonville game that season in 2000, and I remember on the day of the game, waking up, and I'd never felt better for a game in my life. My back felt pain free for the first time in years. And in the first quarter, we completely turned Tony Brackens loose and he slammed me on the turf right flat on my back, and immediately, my back went into spasms. I was done for the day. So that good feeling lasted about half of a quarter. And I took shots the following week hoping that I could recapture the pain-free symptoms, and it never took again. So, that is why I retired."

So should Jerry Jones worry that another of his prized quarterbacks is facing back issues?

"I think it would be a concern of mine if I was with the Cowboys, having back surgery once again and at his age," Aikman said. "It could be a factor going forward as far as his performance."

Top Bottom