dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Had McFadden been the starter from GM 1 last year, he would have been a 1,400 rusher. We don't need Elliott, and we certainly don't need him more than a pass rusher or secondary help.

He surprised us all by staying fairly healthy and being pretty decent. But there's a big difference between "pretty decent" and "elite".

We ranked at the bottom of the league in short yardage and GL rushing last yr. McFadden also had 7 games with fewer than 40 yds rushing and 8 games where he didn't average 4 yds per carry. Two of those games he barely averaged 1 yd per carry.

Elliott is an elite RB prospect who definitely makes this whole team, especially the offense better. He's more powerful than McFadden, catches the ball better, blocks better, runs short yardage and GL better and he doesn't fumble any. Many of the carries McFadden didn't finish with TD's probably would have been with Elliott running those same plays.

Reaction score
Yeah stats notwithstanding, McFadden never wowed me last year. There was never a game where I thought "Man, if it wasn't for DMac, we don't win that." Of course, we only won four games so theres that.

Point is, McFadden had kind of a hollow 1400 yards, if possible. Whereas you look at 2014 with Murray and it was a dominant performance almost week in week out.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure some of his poorer performances had to do with defenses not respecting the pass due to Weeden, Cassel, Moore, etc. The point is that unlike defensive end, we still have options at RB. You could make the case that Bosa or Lawson would be a high priority even if Lawrence and Gregory were not facing suspensions. Did the Broncos need an elite runner last year? The Seahawks rolled very nicely with an undrafted guy when Lynch went down. The Pats have shown nothing but contempt for the position in recent years and it hasn't deterred them from contending. Cards made the championship game with a "by-committee" philosophy at RB, featuring a rookie who was not a top 5 pick. Face it: it's just not a premium position anymore.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Elliott is an elite RB prospect who definitely makes this whole team, especially the offense better. He's more powerful than McFadden, catches the ball better, blocks better, runs short yardage and GL better and he doesn't fumble any. Many of the carries McFadden didn't finish with TD's probably would have been with Elliott running those same plays.
Just finished watching a replay of the National Championship game OSU vs. Oregon from early 2015 when Zeke was a Sophomore. I recommend everyone watch it, and pay special attention to this kid's blocking. He is very very good at it and obviously enjoys it. He is a very rare commodity at RB, to be coming out for the draft - complete package, plug and play.

The other thing that comes across in watching that game - the "air of danger" factor Zeke has, that you hardly ever see - the defense is clearly scared of him, making the rest of that OSU offense work in that game. Literally he can take the ball to the house on any touch he has - like Hershel Walker and Tony Dorsett. NO back in this draft has this quality to the level Zeke has.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Just finished watching a replay of the National Championship game OSU vs. Oregon from early 2015

I still loves me some Cardale. would strongly consider him in the 4th round.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Had McFadden been the starter from GM 1 last year, he would have been a 1,400 rusher. We don't need Elliott, and we certainly don't need him more than a pass rusher or secondary help.

29 years old, and injury prone. Also part of his early struggles running (besides his tweeted hammy) was cause by his inability to run behind a zone blocking scheme. I think part of the lines struggles was because they HAD to change the blocking scheme for McFadden. They didn't have to worry about Romo since he was out but how would Romo play behind a different blocking scheme?

I still think McFadden gets cut before the season starts.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He surprised us all by staying fairly healthy and being pretty decent. But there's a big difference between "pretty decent" and "elite".

We ranked at the bottom of the league in short yardage and GL rushing last yr. McFadden also had 7 games with fewer than 40 yds rushing and 8 games where he didn't average 4 yds per carry. Two of those games he barely averaged 1 yd per carry.

How many TD's did McFadden have last year?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
29 years old, and injury prone. Also part of his early struggles running (besides his tweeted hammy) was cause by his inability to run behind a zone blocking scheme. I think part of the lines struggles was because they HAD to change the blocking scheme for McFadden. They didn't have to worry about Romo since he was out but how would Romo play behind a different blocking scheme?

I still think McFadden gets cut before the season starts.

RBs get beat up a lot and many don't make it to their second contract. you people just want a shiny new toy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
RBs get beat up a lot and many don't make it to their second contract. you people just want a shiny new toy.

No, we just want to do as much as possible to ensure this pick isn't wasted.

I'm on record saying I wanted a QB at 4. That's almost assuredly not happening because the best two are going 1-2 now. I'm good with Bosa at 4 and think he's far better than some of these interwebs forum dolts give him credit for. I don't want anything to do with an OT (still about as ridiculous an idea as any fan has IMO, drafting Laremy Tunsil at 4). I don't see any LB worth that pick because Myles Jack is too much of a health gamble for my liking. I dont think Deforest Buckner really fits a 4-3 defense. As much as I like Leonard Floyd, taking him at 4 seems too early to me. (Even with reports today that say he may go as high as 5) That leaves Ramsey, who may or may not be there at 4 as the only other real consideration IMO other than Elliott and Bosa.

I am about 99.99% sure what we're getting with Elliott if we take him and he stays healthy, and odds are he'll be a multi yr probowler/all pro here and is a legit carry the team type RB, especially behind this OL. He's going to be a great player and is a relatively safe pick for us.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
plenty of teams have won championships without star power at running back. what you can't win with is a shitty d-line or a porous secondary.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
plenty of teams have won championships without star power at running back. what you can't win with is a shitty d-line or a porous secondary.

Momoyaya doesn't impress you at DE?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't care for players with exotic last names. or running backs with biblical first names.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
you almost have to give our RBs last year a bit of a mulligan since there was nothing for any D to worry about as regards the passing game.

Bluntly speaking Murray did not wow me a lot in 2014. He was a grinder that kept taking the ball and getting yardage but certainly not a guy that really would scare a D badly. And conversely how much did Romo help the running game by having a MVP type season?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
you almost have to give our RBs last year a bit of a mulligan since there was nothing for any D to worry about as regards the passing game.

Bluntly speaking Murray did not wow me a lot in 2014. He was a grinder that kept taking the ball and getting yardage but certainly not a guy that really would scare a D badly. And conversely how much did Romo help the running game by having a MVP type season?

How many passes did Romo throw compared to Cabo Romo?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I just watched the press conference... I'm 90% sure they're taking Ramsey. Jerry even made a point to go back and say something about him.

Which is kinda confusing considering why in the hell would they be this obvious about their love for him but they must know who the Chargers are gonna take.

Yea they could always be trying to bait either the Chargers or another team in jumping up there and taking Ramsey so another player falls to them but from the way Jerry and Co were talking... It was almost like they were justifying the pick already and not afraid to show it.

Obviously I could be way wrong here but its definitely the vibe I got....

Top Bottom