Reaction score
So Dez is scheduled to meet with Jeruh on Friday

Which means we should get the sound bite from him on Saturday about how Dez is in the best shape ever, he’s healthy, and he plans to have his greatest season ever so he can show the fan base how dedicated he is to the Cowboys and how Dez wants to retire a Cowboy.

And how he won’t be restructuring his contract

Or some other shit like that. In other words, he ain’t goin nowhere!

Reminds me of all the various false hype talk about Mo Claiborne before each season that always amounted to nothing.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Snap Rates: Shotgun v Under Center (OFF)

Dallas is pretty lopsided. I know I know, other teams are as well.

Looks like it pretty much verifies what I thought then.

Overall we are in shotgun less than the average in the league.

We run slightly more from under center than the NFL average (76% v 69% league average)

We run slightly less from shotgun than the league average (17% vs 21% league average)

We pass slightly less than the league average under center (24% v 31% league average)

We pass slightly more in shotgun than the NFL average. (83% v 79% league average)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Which means we should get the sound bite from him on Saturday about how Dez is in the best shape ever, he’s healthy, and he plans to have his greatest season ever so he can show the fan base how dedicated he is to the Cowboys and how Dez wants to retire a Cowboy.

I don't know if he'll definitely get released now, but I still think the odds are very strong he won't be here come training camp. He'll get traded during the draft or released.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't get this version of the meta game. Shotgun is a poor formation to run from unless it is an occasional trick play. To run from it primarily is just stupid IMO. Whatever happened to the power I game? Zeke would be great at that with a lead block.

We're running 76% of the time when we line up in a traditional formation. We're running less shotgun snaps than the league average.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Zoners and some of the dumbshit media that cover the team going apeshit over prospect of Dez being cut, some even saying it's a "super bowl move for the team that signs him!!!!!"

If that were even remotely close to being true, we'd have teams lining up out the door making us very legit trade offers.

If he is released or traded for peanuts, it confirms the view of some that he has played poorly the last couple of seasons and that teams don't view him as a difference maker any more. And nobody should give me "well that contract!!!!!" excuses for not trading him either, not after we saw what some of these other stiffs got this free agency period. if somebody thinks he's elite or even "really good", we'll get a real trade deal for him.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Looks like it pretty much verifies what I thought then.

Overall we are in shotgun less than the average in the league.

We run slightly more from under center than the NFL average (76% v 69% league average)

We run slightly less from shotgun than the league average (17% vs 21% league average)

We pass slightly less than the league average under center (24% v 31% league average)

We pass slightly more in shotgun than the NFL average. (83% v 79% league average)

This makes the Cowboys slightly more obvious than anyone else.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This makes the Cowboys slightly more obvious than anyone else.

Yeah they have a great OL, a top-5 pick RB and a QB drafted in the 4th rd with two years as a starter out there.

Who'd ever think we might run the ball more. if only we used some of those secret plays or formations to trick some people.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah they have a great OL, a top-5 pick RB and a QB drafted in the 4th rd with two years as a starter out there.

Who'd ever think we might run the ball more. if only we used some of those secret plays or formations to trick some people.

I don't mind if we run the ball even more than we do now. I just wish when we passed the ball it would be from under center more often instead of shotgun.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score

The Cowboys are 6.5M over the cap with projected draft picks. They probably won't keep all of the picks so that number will be a bit lower. Now when you look at the Cowboys roster and contracts, one stands out, Dez. There isn't another player on the team that can make up that cap money by themselves other than Dez.

He's set to make 12.5M this season with a 16.5M cap hit. Same goes for next year. Even I don't think Jerry is nuts enough to restructure 25M. The problem is, if Jerry wants to keep him for just this season, how does he do it and stay under the cap?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't mind if we run the ball even more than we do now. I just wish when we passed the ball it would be from under center more often instead of shotgun.

You do know why most teams tend to throw from the shotgun formation right? Especially when it's an obvious passing situation.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
stay under the cap?

There's other moves they can make to free up cap space. A long term deal with either Zach Martin or Demarcus Lawrence would free up a ton of space. They probably are leery of adjusting Tyron Smith's deal due to concerns over his back, but that's another contract they could tinker with to free up room.

I'm not sure Tyrone Crawford is 100% safe either, especially if they add another DL or two in the draft.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You do know why most teams tend to throw from the shotgun formation right? Especially when it's an obvious passing situation.

Yes. I don't mind when it's obvious passing situations. Besides Troy and gang, the Cowboys have been doing that since forever. I'm talking about when it isn't so obvious. We're still primarily passing out of shotgun and running under center. For example, 2nd and 8 shouldn't be that obvious. But we're still letting the defense know what we're doing.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There's other moves they can make to free up cap space. A long term deal with either Zach Martin or Demarcus Lawrence would free up a ton of space. They probably are leery of adjusting Tyron Smith's deal due to concerns over his back, but that's another contract they could tinker with to free up room.

I'm not sure Tyrone Crawford is 100% safe either, especially if they add another DL or two in the draft.

I was referring to releasing players. Giving Lawrence a long term deal would free up a lot. Not so much with Martin. Forget Smith, look at his contract now. No way to restructure that and remain sane. Releasing Crawford saves 1.8M on the cap.

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...hemistry-with-dak-is-all-on-dez-bryant-rumors

Babe says it's all on Dez.

This following passage is pertinent, because I recall a lot of the Zoners defending Dez, claiming the spank off his hands for a pick was Dak's fault for throwing it slightly behind Dez. That is bullshit because Dez got two hands on the ball. Even if the pass is off, any high school receiver could catch that. I've made tougher catches than that in pick up games.

But, Babe has a better take on it:

I can show you a play from the Seattle game. Dez has just a little hook route over the ball at five yards. Seattle plays zone, so as soon as they run out in zone, you read that, you see that, you set it down, you just show the quarterback your numbers, you give him both 8’s, he puts it between them, and off you go. He kind of goes in, and it was the worst pass pattern I’ve seen. And the ball goes off his hands because Dak doesn’t know where he’s going to settle down. It’s an easy throw, it’s the most simple throw you could ever make; I could’ve made it. But I wouldn’t have known where Dez was sitting it down.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was referring to releasing players. Giving Lawrence a long term deal would free up a lot. Not so much with Martin. Forget Smith, look at his contract now. No way to restructure that and remain sane. Releasing Crawford saves 1.8M on the cap.

Releasing Crawford post June 1 saves 6 million.

Martin has a 9.3 million cap charge so a long term deal is probably going to drop that quite a bit in year one or two (if not both)

Tyron Smith's cap number actually starts going down after this year. That along with the back might be why they haven't touched his contract.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes. I don't mind when it's obvious passing situations. Besides Troy and gang, the Cowboys have been doing that since forever. I'm talking about when it isn't so obvious. We're still primarily passing out of shotgun and running under center. For example, 2nd and 8 shouldn't be that obvious. But we're still letting the defense know what we're doing.

We're running the ball half the time overall, and 76% of run plays come from under center.

Unless you either want the offense to throw more in general, or run more out of shotgun looks then your argument makes no sense. You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Releasing Crawford post June 1 saves 6 million.

Yes. But again, you're pushing 4.2M to next year. Think that's a good idea?

Martin has a 9.3 million cap charge so a long term deal is probably going to drop that quite a bit in year one or two (if not both)

His base salary will be considerably less, but his signing bonus, even prorated will cut into that. Besides, what do you consider long term? He's 27 now. How much do you think he'll want on a 4 year deal? I think quite a bit, and any signing bonus divided by 4 will cut into that 9.3M.

Tyron Smith's cap number actually starts going down after this year. That along with the back might be why they haven't touched his contract.

A little bit, yeah. It's 17.5M now. Then 15.5M, 13, 12, 13, 13. After the 12.2M year his dead cap is gone. I'm thinking he won't be on the team in 2022. Maybe out 2021.

Top Bottom