Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
$5 million a year for a 30 year old safety? No thank you. The Redskins' blinked. Atogwe's agent threw out the Cowboys' names as being interested, just to get the desired effect and it worked. They also threw out the Broncos' name, which conincidently was Shanahan's former team. No other team brought Atogwe in for a visit.

Where did you learn your mathematics? The caveman school?

5 times 6 equals 30, not 26, so he's not making 5 mill a year...especially since he's more than likely not to see the last year of the deal and the way NFL contracts are structured, he's probably only going to get 18-20 mill of that.

And you're still going on with him being 30? He's 28.

Other than all that, you're exactly right.

**EDIT**

It's a 5 year deal, not a 6 as I thought.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not really. Crystal balls don't count. I think you have an unrealistic expectation of how Atogwe would be, he's not in his prime anymore.

Yes, really.

It doesn't mean Huff is a guarantee to fail, but if Rob Ryan took him off the field frequently and even criticized his tackling at one point while in Oakland, why would anyone assume that he would be a good fit here?

Like I said before, time has passed and things have changed so maybe the two of them could work together again and have a better understanding of which each guys expects from one another, but their past history cannot be simply ignored.

C

Cr122

The way I see it is if Rob wants Huff, we'll get him.

If not then he has another alternative.

C

Cr122

McDaniel has horrible awareness, and Searcy is a piece of shit.

I wouldn't draft either one of them.

sbk92

Reaction score
5 years 26 million is a very reasonable contract for a safety that is always around the football....and he's 28 years old, so that would be SOUTH of 30.

The way it's structured, I'm guessing he only sees 18-20 million of that anyway.

He signed with the Redskins. So we have to pretend he sucks.

sbk92

Reaction score
This really is an awful safety class. Maybe the worst I've ever seen.

sbk92

Reaction score
Obviously a light went on with Huff after Ryan left.

Maybe that's because he didn't mix with Rob or maybe he just needed some time.

We'll know the answer within a week of free agency. If it ever starts.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The safety class is pathetic and it's inexcusable that we didn't even bring Atogwe in for a visit, and it made me even more mad when I saw the reasonable contract he signed for.

Chill dude.

Atogwe absolutely wasnt worth what Washington paid him. Once they heard he wanted those types of numbers, they probably lost interest, if they ever even had any.

Steve Spagnoulo is a really bright defensive guy, and he's never been impressed with him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Signing Atogwe would have been nice because 1) he's a turnover machine and 2) it would have been one less hole going into the draft and whatever Free Agency we will get to have.

I think his contract is reasonable for the caliber of player he is. We are going to have spend something to finally upgrade the position.

Or we just throw Alan Ball back there again and wonder where he is on every long pass completed over the middle.

sbk92

Reaction score
Covering that need is a good point. Especially considering how poor this safety class is. We're more likely to take one out of desperation and watch him flop like the rest.

I don't know what to do. I just know I'd have no option that leaves Alan Ball starting in my secondary.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd sooner just let Owusu-Ansah learn on the fly than start Ball another year.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Signing Atogwe would have been nice because 1) he's a turnover machine and 2) it would have been one less hole going into the draft and whatever Free Agency we will get to have.

I think his contract is reasonable for the caliber of player he is. We are going to have spend something to finally upgrade the position.

Or we just throw Alan Ball back there again and wonder where he is on every long pass completed over the middle.

Exactly.

For the caliber of player that he is, that contract was very reasonable.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Time has passed and they could definitely both be willing to work together again.

My point is that it isn't the match made in heaven that some fans and the DFW media think it is.

What makes that Atogwe would have been the match made in heaven here?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Where did you learn your mathematics? The caveman school?

5 times 6 equals 30, not 26, so he's not making 5 mill a year...especially since he's more than likely not to see the last year of the deal and the way NFL contracts are structured, he's probably only going to get 18-20 mill of that.

And you're still going on with him being 30? He's 28.

Other than all that, you're exactly right.

**EDIT**

It's a 5 year deal, not a 6 as I thought.

Wrong. Atogwe will be 30 in a couple of months. Go look it up. He's 29 now.

Top Bottom