Cr122

APR 3
1:30 PM ET
By Bill Williamson

9593.jpg

Michael Huff
#24 S
Oakland Raiders

The push is on for Michael Huff to sign with the Dallas Cowboys when the lockout ends.

There is a lot of dot connecting that could make Dallas a prime contender to sign Oakland’s free-agent safety. Huff is from the Dallas area and he played at the University of Texas. The Cowboys need a safety and Huff played for new Dallas defensive coordinator Rob Ryan early in his career with the Raiders.

Huff recently acknowledged the thought of going to Dallas to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram while he attended Texas’ pro day.

"That's home, but you never know what's going to happen," Huff said. "I've got to want to go there, but they've got to want me. There are a bunch of things that go into the process."

Huff, who made some strides in 2010, said that he wanted to play for a winner. The Raiders look to be headed in the right direction after going 8-8 in 2010.

"[Winning is] the only thing," Huff said. "Being here [at Texas], you get spoiled. You win all the time here and then you go there and have some tough years. Getting that Super Bowl ring is something they can never take away from you, like they can't take away the national championship ring. That's the next step, and I look forward to it."

Huff could always return to the Raiders, but it sounds like he’s, at least, interested in testing the market.

Meanwhile, Pat Kirwan of NFL.com believes the Raiders could be a good fit for Washington quarterback Jake Locker. Oakland would likely have to trade up from No. 48 to grab Locker.

sbk92

Reaction score
Michael Huff makes perfect sense for Dallas Cowboys

By Charean Williams
cjwilliams@ star-telegram.com

The Dallas Cowboys could use a veteran safety. Michael Huff, an Irving native, is a free safety and a free agent to be. He makes perfect sense for the Cowboys.

"That's home, but you never know what's going to happen," Huff said last week at the University of Texas' Pro Day. "I've got to want to go there, but they've got to want me. There are a bunch of things that go into the process."

The Cowboys' starting strong safety, Gerald Sensabaugh, will be a free agent. Their free safety, Alan Ball, is a converted cornerback who struggled at times last season. Dallas did not get in on the bidding for veteran safeties Bob Sanders or O.J. Atogwe, who were free agents before the collective bargaining agreement expired.

But with a weak class of safeties in the draft, Huff could be the Cowboys' best option to improve at the position. Rob Ryan, the Cowboys' new defensive coordinator, was the Raiders' defensive coordinator in 2006 when Oakland made Huff the seventh overall pick.

Huff was benched, booed and thought to be on the trading block before having the light come on in 2009. In 2010, he made 94 tackles and forced six turnovers.

Now, he's likely headed for free agency.

"It's tough," Huff said. "In a normal year, I'd have a team by now. I'd know where I would be, so I could buy a house if I was going to be in another place. So it's definitely tough, but it's the business side of the thing. I have to be patient and wait it out."

The one thing Huff is looking forward to is winning. The Raiders were 24-56 in Huff's five seasons.

"That's the only thing," Huff said. "Being here [at Texas], you get spoiled. You win all the time here and then you go there and have some tough years. Getting that Super Bowl ring is something they can never take away from you, like they can't take away the national championship ring. That's the next step, and I look forward to it."

sbk92

Reaction score
The Cowboys' starting strong safety, Gerald Sensabaugh, will be a free agent. Their free safety, Alan Ball, is a converted cornerback who struggled at times last season.

Yeah, Ball struggled at times.

From week 1 to week 17.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Would you get into a bidding war for Michael Huff?

Not a high cost bidding war, but he does make sense to add.

That said, there's some other potential safeties out there too. He isnt the only decent player. Brodney Pool (if he could stay healthy) would be a decent add, and he knows Rob and Rex's defense. I think Daniel Manning is a free agent too.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Atogwe should have been the guy.

Huff is a decent player, but he was in Rob Ryan's doghouse when they were together in Oakland, so I don't see why Rob would want him or why he'd want to be reunited with the coordinator that frequently took him off the field.

I'd take him because he'd be an upgrade over the garbage that we currently have at the position, but don't be surprised if he ended up not being all that great a fit with this defense.

sbk92

Reaction score
Huff was a young guy still learning to play in the league when he was with Fat Rob in Oakland.

I mean maybe he might have no interest in reuniting with Huff but I wouldn't just assume that's the case.

C

Cr122

Huff is a decent player, but he was in Rob Ryan's doghouse when they were together in Oakland, so I don't see why Rob would want him or why he'd want to be reunited with the coordinator that frequently took him off the field.

I'd take him because he'd be an upgrade over the garbage that we currently have at the position, but don't be surprised if he ended up not being all that great a fit with this defense.

That's who I wanted at the time. Michael Huff though is an upgrade over Ball no doubt.

And there's no safety in the draft that is any good, maybe Moore, it's a weak class this year.

Reaction score
Huff and Weddle seem to be the most common names thrown around.

If Huff has realistic contract demands, then I'm all for it. But if he's wanting to break the bank, then I'd go in another direction.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Huff was a young guy still learning to play in the league when he was with Fat Rob in Oakland.

I mean maybe he might have no interest in reuniting with Huff but I wouldn't just assume that's the case.

Time has passed and they could definitely both be willing to work together again.

My point is that it isn't the match made in heaven that some fans and the DFW media think it is.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That's who I wanted at the time. Michael Huff though is an upgrade over Ball no doubt.

And there's no safety in the draft that is any good, maybe Moore, it's a weak class this year.

The safety class is pathetic and it's inexcusable that we didn't even bring Atogwe in for a visit, and it made me even more mad when I saw the reasonable contract he signed for.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Huff and Weddle seem to be the most common names thrown around.

If Huff has realistic contract demands, then I'm all for it. But if he's wanting to break the bank, then I'd go in another direction.

I'm fine with either one, but Atogwe was the guy I really wanted.

Still, it'd be an upgrade over either Ball or Sensabaugh.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, Ball struggled at times.

From week 1 to week 17.

:lol

He was terrible, but Sensabaugh wasn't much better.

What worries me about Sensabaugh was that he was often the guy that was out of place. Even towards the end of the year he had Alan Ball telling him where to line up and that's pretty bad.

Dave Campo should shoulder some of that blame as well, which reminds me.....why the hell did we bring that loser back? FML.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Not at the price at what the Redskins are paying him and with him being north of 30.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

That's where you wrong. Deunte Williams, McDaniel, Searcy.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Time has passed and they could definitely both be willing to work together again.

My point is that it isn't the match made in heaven that some fans and the DFW media think it is.

How do you know that it isn't?

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not at the price at what the Redskins are paying him and with him being north of 30.

5 years 26 million is a very reasonable contract for a safety that is always around the football....and he's 28 years old, so that would be SOUTH of 30.

The way it's structured, I'm guessing he only sees 18-20 million of that anyway.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The safety class is pathetic and it's inexcusable that we didn't even bring Atogwe in for a visit, and it made me even more mad when I saw the reasonable contract he signed for.

$5 million a year for a 30 year old safety? No thank you. The Redskins' blinked. Atogwe's agent threw out the Cowboys' names as being interested, just to get the desired effect and it worked. They also threw out the Broncos' name, which conincidently was Shanahan's former team. No other team brought Atogwe in for a visit.

Top Bottom